New American Bible St Joseph Edition

So I’m reading this bible at the moment and it when Gabrial appears to Mary he says “Hail, favored one” which I know is in some translations but I though “Hail, full of Grace” is more accurate. Long story short I looked it up and it seems many people have issues with this translations footnotes on this site.

Am I okay to read this version? It’s suppose to a Catholic translation

This Bible is approved for use in the United States by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). You are fine reading this edition.

The whole “full of grace / highly favored” debate is (as you have seen) nothing new. Translation is an inexact science, and arguments can be made either way. Most modern linguists prefer the “highly favored” translation, and you will find this in almost all modern translations.

While “full of Grace” might appear favorable to Catholic doctrine (especially Immaculate Conception), nothing in Catholic doctrine relies upon this English translation.

Protestants, of course, prefer “highly favored.” But, what they would REALLY PREFER is that the text said that Mary was just some girl that God picked at random - like a sailor in a bar. If Mary had NOT said “yes,” God would have simply moved on to some other girl, like a sailor in a bar. That is what most protestants believe. They do NOT believe that, if Mary had said “no” then Jesus (and our salvation) would have never happened. To them, no aspect of our salvation relies specifically upon Mary. She is not the New Eve, prophecized from the beginning of time, but simply a girl in a bar. She was not immaculately conceived, being the only woman to have been preserved from original sin from her creation since Eve. She was just a girl in a bar that God the Sailor (a rather novel Divine title) cast his eye upon.

The text can support “highly favored,” but it obviously cannot support “some girl that God hit upon.” Protestants can’t have what they want, so they pick the best that they can get. Which is “highly favored.”

That doesn’t make “highly favored” wrong. It’s not as strong as “full of grace,” but it is actually much more than protestants would prefer to accept. It confers SOME manner of uniqueness upon Mary. Had Mary said “no,” were there OTHER “highly favored” girls perched on other bar stools? Did God have a harem of “highly favored girls” to choose from?

Posting this reply has been repugnant to me, and my stomach is churning even as I type this. But that’s what protestants prefer to believe.

The Blessed Virgin Mary predicted,

For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed. {Luke 46:48]

Where is this prophecy fulfilled in modern times? In protestant churches, who prefer to ignore Mary, rather than confront her status even as “highly favored?”

I had a protestant tell me based on Hebrews 10 (I believe, I’d have to look it up) and the phrase " a body thou hast prepared for me" that Mary was a surrogate mother for God and nothing more.

Like something to be disposed of after used

Talk about repugnant.

Mary.

There’s nothing to stop you from using the NABRE, I much prefer the RSV-CE, RSV-CE2 and DR.

We use this edition on our Bible study. We have been doing the Jeff Cavins Bible studies. I have heard people say they have problems with the footnotes. So far, I haven’t found any problems with the footnotes, in that they don’t conflict with Catholic teaching. I have, in fact, found them very helpful.

usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm

Books of the New Testament, Alba House

Contemporary English Version - New Testament, First Edition, American Bible Society

Contemporary English Version - Book of Psalms, American Bible Society

Contemporary English Version - Book of Proverbs, American Bible Society

The Grail Psalter (Inclusive Language Version), G.I.A. Publications

New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)

New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, National Council of Churches

The Psalms, Alba House

The Psalms (New International Version) - St. Joseph Catholic Edition, Catholic Book Publishing Company

The Psalms - St. Joseph New Catholic Version, Catholic Book Publishing Company

Revised Psalms of the New American Bible (1991)

So You May Believe, A Translation of the Four Gospels, Alba House

I find the NRSV-CE a little too difficult to read.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes it is quite repugnant that they have such little regard for the mother of their God.

Some tend to overstate their case against the NAB footnotes. I have my own areas of disagreement with them, but nothing that would tell me to recommend against using the translation at all.

If you like to recite ‘full of Grace’ then continue to do so. I believe they have it wrong or have weakened Mary’s role in Salvation history.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.