New American Catechism?

Am I just dreaming about this or wasn’t there supposed to be a new catechism that was supposed to be released by the USCCB?

has anyone heard about this from earlier this year. I thought I remembered Francis Cardinal George talking about it.

The current Catechism was released in 1994, with an update in 1997. I have not heard of anything recent.

Perhaps you’re talking about the compendium…a summary of the CCC. I heard it was supposed to be published this Fall.

I had heard about this as well a while ago, and then the subject just disappeared.

[quote=Elzee]Perhaps you’re talking about the compendium…a summary of the CCC. I heard it was supposed to be published this Fall.
[/quote]

Yes. I, too, heard that it will be a “summary” of the CCC, that it will actually be larger than the CCC, and that it will become the standard catechism for CCD classes in the US. I wonder why the USCCB finds it neccessary to rewrite the CCC.

Actually, it is the Vatican who is releasing the Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It will be released on October 20th, so be ready to buy.

The Compendium was actually called for by the late Pope John Paul the Great, but is only now coming to fruition. It is supposed to be Q&A format, sort of like the old Baltimore Catechism, but better.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
RyanL

P.S.,
I think some of you may be thinking about the Companion to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (A Compendium of Texts), which is thicker than the Catechism and contains all of the source material from the CCC, and is already released.

[quote=Dan-Man916]Am I just dreaming about this or wasn’t there supposed to be a new catechism that was supposed to be released by the USCCB?

has anyone heard about this from earlier this year. I thought I remembered Francis Cardinal George talking about it.
[/quote]

There was a new Catechetical Directory released in May of this year. Is that what you are thinking of?

According to Winter 2004 issue of Catechism Update, published by the Office for the Catechism and available in .pdf format at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ website, The United States Catholic Catechism for Adults was approved by the General Assembly of U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in November 2004 and was supposed to be have been sent to the Congregation for the Clergy in Rome for review and approval in early January 2005. It wasn’t mentioned in the Spring and Summer 2005 issues of Catechism Update so I assume they are still waiting on Rome’s approval.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.