New and different Eucharistic Prayers

At English-speaking Mass in USA, I have been hearing the same 4 Eucharistic Prayers for some years. Recently, one priest whose Masses I attend quite often has started using Eucharistic Prayers that sound rather different. I tried to remember a few phrases from the last prayer he said to look them up/ post them here, but unfortunately forgot them. One might have had some reference in the first prayer to Christ as “victim”.

The priest is definitely reading these prayers out of a big Missal. He is not improvising or making stuff up, he is looking down at the Missal and reading. Also, the words used at the Consecration are not significantly different than they should be, so the Consecration seems proper and I am not worried about that.

I am just wondering where did these different prayer forms come from? Is there a new Missal authorized for US? Every other priest whose Masses I attend is still using the same old prayers. I could ask the priest I suppose but I thought maybe I could just find the prayers on the Web and not be bugging him.

Here’s a bit more info about the other Eucharistic prayers:

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/votive-masses-and-various-needs/index.cfm

There are a couple of EP’s that focus on reconciliation. My Pastor uses those often during Lent and Advent.

What are the specific differences in the liturgy during Lent? I am new and trying to learn.

One of our priests uses the Eucharistic Prayer for Reconciliation frequently.

Specifically, there is no Gloria or Alleluia during Lent.
Parishes may have traditions they follow, such as incorporating Latin responses, use of the Confiteor rather than one of the other formulas of the penitental rite, more subdued music or none at all, minimal decorations/flowers, etc.
Your mileage may vary depending on your location

That may be, but he used some of these last week and it wasn’t Lent yet.

The prayers Suscipe me Domine posted also don’t seem to be the right ones.

If we don’t come up with the answer here, I will ask the priest in a couple weeks when I probably will go to another of his Masses as he’s on break for a short while.

Edited to add, pretty sure this one was the one I heard with “Victim” in it, and that would have been last Thursday so it was indeed Lent, and this is indeed one of the prayers for Reconciliation.

EUCHARISTIC PRAYER FOR RECONCILIATION I

1. Then the Priest, with hands extended, says:
    Therefore, as we celebrate
    the memorial of your Son Jesus Christ,
    who is our Passover and our surest peace,
    we celebrate his Death and Resurrection from the
    dead,
    and looking forward to his blessed Coming,
    we offer you, who are our faithful and merciful God,
    this sacrificial Victim
    who reconciles to you the human race.
    Look kindly, most compassionate Father,
    on those you unite to yourself
    by the Sacrifice of your Son,
    and grant that, by the power of the Holy Spirit,
    as they partake of this one Bread and one Chalice,
    they may be gathered into one Body in Christ,
    who heals every division.
    Be pleased to keep us always
    in communion of mind and heart,
    together with N. our Pope and N. our Bishop.*
    Help us to work together
    for the coming of your Kingdom,
    until the hour when we stand before you,
    Saints among the Saints in the halls of heaven,
    with the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God,
    the blessed Apostles and all the Saints,
    and with our deceased brothers and sisters,
    whom we humbly commend to your mercy.

Now I just have to figure out what prayers he was saying last week pre-Lent.

There are many Eucharistic prayers, there are typically 4 printed in the missalettes used by most parishes.

In addition to those 4, there are about 6 others.

Eucharistic Prayer for Reconciliation I and II aren’t limited to Lent.

Your priest can choose from among the EPs any time.

EP I (Anamensis)

Therefore, O Lord, as we celebrate the memorial of the blessed Passion, the Resurrection from the dead, and the glorious Ascension into heaven of Christ, your Son, our Lord, we, your servants and your holy people, offer to your glorious majesty, from the gifts that you have given us, this pure victim, this holy victim, this spotless victim, the holy Bread of eternal life and the Chalice of everlasting salvation.

Be pleased to look upon these offerings with a serene and kindly countenance, and to accept them, as you were pleased to accept the gifts of your servant Abel the just, the sacrifice of Abraham, our father in faith, and the offering of your high priest Melchizedek, a holy sacrifice, a spotless victim.

EPIII (Epiclesis)

Look, we pray, upon the oblation of your Church, and, recognizing the sacrificial Victim by whose death you willed to reconcile us to yourself, grant that we, who are nourished by the Body and Blood of your Son and filled with his Holy Spirit, may become one body, one spirit in Christ.

Good to know. I wonder why none of the many other priests whose Masses I attend ever seem to use these prayers?

I think it’s one of those things where different priests do things differently. I’ve known a couple who loved the prayers for reconciliation and used them frequently.

My St. Joseph Missal has 10 Eucharistic Prayers, EP I, II, III, IV, Reconciliation I & II and Various Needs I, II, III, IV.

You can find all 10 on this site:

http://catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/RM3-EP1-4.htm

Tldr: There are four “main” Eucharistic Prayers, plus those for Reconciliation and for use in Masses for Various Needs, each bringing its own beauty to the mass as well as diversity and variety to the liturgy.

EP I - is the “canon of the mass” and, before 1970, was the only Eucharistic Prayer. It is still the preeminent Prayer but is also the most involved in terms of its gestures and language as well as its lengthy lists of saints (which, while historically interesting, do tend to go on a bit…). Some priests seem to be almost allergic to it.

EP II - a shortened version of the Roman Canon with parts included from the Hippolytus’ Apostolic Tradition. It’s the most common partly because it’s the shortest (some people have these things called jobs) but also because it comes with it’s own built-in, yet detachable preface (the part immediately before the Eucharistic Prayer), making it useful year-round.

EP III - tends to be a popular choice for those looking for an alternative to EPII - especially on Sundays. Like EPII, there’s an optional extra commemoration of the dead.

EPIV is probably the rarest of the four main Prayers. While its use of masculine pronouns (and length) probably has something to do with this, the main reason it’s used so infrequently is because it has it’s own preface which, along with the prayer itself, forms a single complete unit. This means that it can’t be used at any masses with their own proper preface: pretty much anytime except Sundays and weekdays in Ordinary Time.

Next are two Eucharistic Prayers for Reconciliation which “may be used in masses in which the mystery of reconciliation is conveyed to the faithful in a special way”. The rubrics suggest examples from amongst the masses for Various Needs and Occasions and Votive Masses, as well as masses during Lent of course. These Prayers can be used either with their own preface or with other prefaces referring to penance and conversion, e.g. prefaces for Lent.

Finally there are four Eucharistic Prayers for Use in Masses for Various Needs:

• The Church on the Path to Unity
  • God Guides His Church along the Way of Salvation
  • Jesus Who Went About Doing Good (nice prayer, shame about the title)

The rubrics provide some suggestions for when these might be used but sometimes these prayers might be particularly appropriate in light of the readings of the day. These prayers also come with their own built-in but detachable prefaces.

Ideally, priests should reflect on the readings/theme of the mass and find a Eucharistic Prayer which resonates with it or at least give some thought as to which Eucharistic Prayer might be appropriate.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Yes, EP IV is rare. I’ve probably heard that one about 3 times in my entire life. I’m only familiar with it because its full text used to be printed in the Monthly Missalette when I was a child and I wondered why the priest never said it.

Our present administrator uses EP IV about once a month so we’re getting familiar with it.

Tbh I actually quite like it. The problem though, other than it’s notably non-inclusive language, is the limited times during the year when it can be used . So that’s why I used it on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday - since I can’t use it again until June!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.