New and Revised Mass Music

We just got a disc from OCP of thier new and revised music for the new mass. it don’t move me at all. it’s still nicely choral and all. but it don’t move me. I will stick to the pre-vII music myself.
here is a link if you want to listen to some clips.
ocp.org/newmasssettings/newsettings
I see dan schutte is still popular… geez, just schutte us now.

I see that OCP still Haas to understand that there needs to be reverence in Mass settings. Some people just don’t get it, even when one leads them by the Hagen.

I don’t know what you’re complaining about, there seems to be something to suit all tastes.

And whenever you hear any of the following words, prepare for trouble:

[LIST]
*]will instantly grab your assembly’s interest.
*]flexible setting [with] energetic rhythm
*]lively rhythms
*]call us to worship with revived energy and purpose.
*]Fresh, elegant
[/LIST]

Ug… What do people find so offensive about chant and polyphony?

[quote=De Musica Sacra]16. Gregorian chant is the music characteristic of the Roman Church. Therefore, its use is not only permitted, but encouraged at all liturgical ceremonies above all other styles of music,
[/quote]

And when they do get mad, why do they listen? Chant is authentically Catholic, and still is (or should be) the primary music at Mass, holding the “pride of place” in the liturgy.

And whenever you hear any of the following words, prepare for trouble:

[LIST]
*]will instantly grab your assembly’s interest.
*]flexible setting [with] energetic rhythm
*]lively rhythms
*]call us to worship with revived energy and purpose.
*]Fresh, elegant
[/LIST]

Ug… What do people find so offensive about chant and polyphony? Really? They are quite beautiful! music at Mass isn’t supposed to be like the rest of the music we listen to.

[quote=De Musica Sacra]16. Gregorian chant is the music characteristic of the Roman Church. Therefore, its use is not only permitted, but encouraged at all liturgical ceremonies above all other styles of music,
[/quote]

And when people do get mad, why do our music directors and pastors listen to them and give in? Chant is one type of music that is wholly and authentically Catholic, and still is (or should be) the primary music at Mass, holding the “pride of place” in the liturgy.

I like some of these, but when I listened to the Mass of St. John (aka Mass of St. Andrew Lloyd Webber) it made me wish I’d picked up a playbill at the door so I could see when the first intermission was…

I kept waiting for the intermission so I could go get a hotdog and popcorn.

As I listened to a small sample of each, I went from…boring to “hey, I feel like I’m at Calvary Chapel” to boring to cheesy.

Meh!

The only one I like is the revision of Heritage Mass. All the others can be thrown in the garbage.

We generally use the Celtic Mass at my parish. It’s easy to sing. The revisions seem to fit right in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.