New Apostolic Church: Theology

Im interested in finding out if we have any converts from the new/old apostolic church that could explain their theology to us.

Unfortunately not much is known about this church’s theology in south africa and generally they keep to themselves.

I do know that their origins are in the Mid 19 century in Germany and that they are led by an Apostle and have various district apostles etc.

However their theology is an unknown entity and not much is published , which is strange considering the amount of followers they have in europpe and predominantly third world countries.

God bless

Arthur
Ad Jesu per Mariam

This is their FAQ at their web site:

nac-usa.org/outreach/questions/questions.asp

Sounds like Germans who had heard about Mormons and copied them …

letusreason.org/Latrain21.htm

I think that is something different from the New Apostolic Church which is an actual denomination rather than a movement.

Thanks for the link. hmmm. Just a thought ,how does the belief in the appointment of apostles by god at this time affect the basic presuposition that after our lord there is no further revelation.or is the tenous argument that since the first apostles death ,the apostolic mission and church by implication has remained dormant and these apostles are the successors to the original 12? If so then im afraid in my opinion they are a sect but definately not christian
God bless
Arthur -Ad Jesu per Mariam

The New Apostolic Church or The Old Apostolic Church do not have any relationship, historicaly or otherwise with the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) and the New Apostolic Reformation. The New Apostolic Church and Old Apostolic Church predates the Mormons. Neither is it from German origin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Apostolic_Church

According to Wikipedia (which I know is unreliable) the New Apostolic Church is from Germany and then spread to the Low Countries and then to the colonies from there.

Thanks for the links.

I read some of thier apologetics. I find it interesting that they quote the early church fathers (Iranaeus, Ignacius, Polycarp) to support some of their doctrines, then totally ignore them when they have an opposing position.

What I have undertood as a Catholic is that the Bible and Traditions preserved by the fathers make up the total faith. Nothing can be singled out. The hazard of singling out quotes, and in this case Tradition, is that one overlooks the totality of the religion, choosing instead to pick certain aspects to support thier own particular doctrine.

Gotta luvit!
Subrosa

The Apostolic Church (Old Apostolic Church) do not recognise the Church Fathers as authorative. Sola Scriptura

Hi Abelard -
Welcome to the forums! It’s always nice to see new people joining in the conversation. I hope your experience here will help you grow in faith in Jesus Christ.

Anyway, could you tell us a bit more about this statement? It really doesn’t say much about the theology of the early church fathers and how the church you mention view those documents.

Please, tell us more!
Subrosa

It is strange that on a lot of forums a lot of unsuported statements is made about the Old Apostolic Church, and even about the New Apostolic Church. Sometimes even confused with other groups.

Concerning the Church Fathers. The Church Fathers can only be quoted if they conform with Scripture, otherwise it must be viewed as an unbiblical statement. If there is no equevalent statement in either the Old or New Testament, then the Church Father is in error. The same rule applies to an Apostle, Prophet and even a Pope.

So, you are saying that the Holy Scripture is the one and only rule of faith.

What do you base that on? Does scripture teach this?

Subrosa

This is what comes to mind at the moment, but is not the only:

2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Isa 8:16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

The following also comes to mind:

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Should we follow the instruction of scripture when it tells us to look to places other than scripture?

Subrosa

Of course not! The men and women who were closest to the real Apostles in the time of Christ wouldn’t know what the Apostles were teaching! :cool:

Abelard (I hope this is your real name! Pierre Abelard is one of my favorite medieval French theologians and helped form the basis from Scripture for the Church’s 7 Sacraments):

From 33 AD to around 382 AD, what scriptures EXACTLY (name some books, please) did the Old Apostolic Church use “for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”?

And welcome to Catholic Answers.

Pax Christi

The New Testament autors used the Septuagint as basis for their texts. The Septuagint was compiled during the time of Ptolemy Philadelphus who wanted a Greek translation of the Old Testament. “The New Testament authors quoted from the LXX and not from the Hebrew text” (Ancient Israelite Literature in Context - Boshoff et al) This was viewed as the standard version of the Old Testament.

It seems this leaves a problem for the New Testament. All New Testament text can in some way be connected to the Old Testament. The Gospels tells the life of Jesus from the view point of the four Evangelist, but confirms the Prophecies according to the Prophets. The Epistles and Apocalypse even can be connected to the Old Testament. There is nothing new in the New Testament. The New Testament is just a confirmation of the promises in the Old Testament.

In the New Testament the promises of the Old Testament is fulfilled.

There can be no new revelations!

I know who Piere Abelard is! I know of his life story and of his teachings!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.