New article on the Sabbath

I wrote a new article on the Sabbath and why we celebrate on Sunday. Before I publish it online, I’m curious if some want to read it here and point things out that I might have missed.

Thanks,
Phil

I for one cannot read it; cannot expand…

There’s an observation that was new to me a few days ago that related to the Sabbath.

Jesus was in the tomb for three days (even part of the day was reckoned a whole day) but the interesting thing is that Jesus was in the tomb for the entire Sabbath, on which God rested.

I think the writer’s intent was to point out that JESUS “rested” after the passion and death was completed, in parallel to God “resting” or abstaining from work on the seventh day after creation.

That’s a piece of data that may leverage both sides of the debate.

As an adult convert (as I presume that you are), you may not have relished the concept of the sacred tradition in the Catholic Church. The witness of the early Church is sometimes given to such things as Sunday being the Lord’s day, perhaps based on the scripture that you cited in the paper.

The writings of the early church fathers is not considered inspired and on a par with scripture, but it is a reliable witness.

In The Jewish Annotated New Testament, the editors make an observation about Jewish practices. They note that while Paul notoriously argued against circumcision of Gentiles who were entering the Church, Paul nowhere suggests that Jewish converts give up the Jewish traditions that they were accustomed to. At that point, you have to read into that remark about what Paul may have intended about sabbath practice.

Vaguely I recall mention of a threshold that was crossed, a line in the sand you might say, when the Jews expelled Christians from the synagogues. So, that may have applied social pressure to celebrating a sabbath on a different day of the week.

More certain, we read in scripture where Jesus appeared to the apostles behind a locked door on Easter Sunday evening, when they were observing the breaking of bread.

Obviously, beside the designation of a different day of worship, the Christian observance seems to have left a lot of Jewish baggage behind, too, about the formalities of the sabbath observance.

And, then, the Sabbath was celebrated at home, not in an assembly of any sort like the observance of the Lord’s Day was.

One also reads Paul talking about the freedom that Christianity has, as compared to the muddied requirements of the Jewish Sabbath.

At the eschatalogical level of the discussion, the Lord’s day is looking forward to eternal rest and worship of God, not so much looking backward at the creation Sabbath, which itself in Genesis was not revealed under any sort of obligation for observance. That came later in the covenant at Sinai. Christ brings and establishes a participation in the eternal kingdom, as a symbol of and promise of the final banquet of the Lamb in eternity.

The most incontrovertible command of Christ regards the Lord’s passover meal, to “do” this in memory of Him.

With due respect and charity towards the SDA church, why do they choose only to obey this particular command of the law? Do they engage in animal sacrifices, too, for example? do they celebrate an annual day of atonement? Do they have a ceremonial high priest to conduct the rite of atonement? and, what do they use to substitute for the Temple and the Holy of Holies? I just don’t know these things.

Out of idle curiosity, which Washington is your location? not to pry, just to clarify.

I don’t think Jesus rested on the Sabbath, since He never did in life.

I Peter 3:19
Knox Bible (KNOX)
19 and it was in his spirit that he went and preached to the spirits who lay in prison.

I Peter 4:6
Knox Bible (KNOX)
6 That is why dead men, too, had the gospel message brought to them; though their mortal natures had paid the penalty in men’s eyes, in the sight of God their spirits were to live on.

This also deconstructs the SDA argument that souls “sleep” after death. Just who was Jesus preaching the Gospel to, then?

And, from the Wiki on James Cardinal Gibbons:

Sabbath Day / Sunday Commentary

Main article: Lord’s Day
James Cardinal Gibbons stated “You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."[1] Sunday is implicit only in that it is the day of the Lord’s resurrection, and was quickly honored as such by the earliest Christians,[2] as it was never made explicit in the pages of Scripture: “For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the Church outside the Bible.”[3] As it was the first day of the week and the day of the Resurrection, it symbolized the New Life in Christ. According to the Catholic Church and virtually all other Christian denominations - Protestant, Orthodox, and Catholic - the ritual elements of the Mosaic law, such as observance of Sabbath or dietary laws, were abrogated by the coming of Christ and the New Covenant; St Thomas Aquinas went so far as to say practicing ritual elements of the Mosaic law was a mortal sin, as it was tantamount to denying that the Messiah had come.[4]

Hey

Some do some don't.
Let us not forget why they lost at Council of Trent.

They lost that battle cause they did not follow their own teaching of scripture alone, cause they were keeping Sunday a Catholic Tradition.

The Church Fathers has put this straight.

“It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.” Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ ‘News’ on March 18, 1903.

"Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope." Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950.

Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.” -Rev. Peter Geiermann C.SS.R., The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50

''The [Roman Catholic] Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her founder, Jesus Christ. THE PROTESTANT CLAIMING THE BIBLE TO BE THE ONLY GUIDE OF FAITH, HAS NO WARRANT FOR OBSERVING SUNDAY. In this matter the Seventh-day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant.'' The Catholic Universe Bulletin, August 14, 1942, p. 4.

"... YOU MAY READ THE BIBLE FROM GENESIS TO REVELATION, AND YOU WILL NOT FIND A SINGLE LINE AUTHORIZING THE SANCTIFICATION OF SUNDAY. THE SCRIPTURES ENFORCE THE RELIGIOUS OBSERVANCE OF SATURDAY, A DAY WHICH WE NEVER SANCTIFY." The Faith of Our Fathers, by James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, 88th edition, page 89. Originally published in 1876, republished and Copyright 1980 by TAN Books and Publishers, Inc., pages 72-73.

'Deny the authority of the Church and you have no adequate or reasonable explanation or justification for the substitution of Sunday for Saturday in the Third - Protestant Fourth - Commandment of God... The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.'' Catholic Record, September 1, 1923.

"Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. "The Day of the Lord" (dies Dominica) was chosen, not from any directions noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church's sense of its own power. The day of resurrection, the day of Pentecost, fifty days later, came on the first day of the week. So this would be the new Sabbath. People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become 7th Day Adventists, and keep Saturday holy." Sentinel, Pastor's page, Saint Catherine Catholic Church, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995

“If Protestants would follow the Bible, they would worship God on the Sabbath Day. In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church.” Albert Smith, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal, in a letter dated February 10, 1920.

“The observance of Sunday by the Protestants is homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] Church.” Monsignor Louis Segur, ‘Plain Talk about the Protestantism of Today’, p. 213.

Try this one:

''I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says, No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week. And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in reverent obedience to the command of the Holy Catholic Church." Priest Thomas Enright, C.S.S.R., February 18, 1884, Printed in the American Sentinel, a New York Roman Catholic journal in June 1893, p. 173.

“Tradition, not Scripture, is the rock on which the church of Jesus Christ is built.” Adrien Nampon, Catholic Doctrine as Defined by the Council of Trent, p. 157

"When St. Paul repudiated the works of the law, he was not thinking of the Ten Commandments, which are as unchangeable as God Himself is, which God could not change and still remain the infinitely holy God."-Our Sunday Visitor, Oct. 7, I951.

"If we consulted the Bible only, we should still have to keep holy the Sabbath Day, that is, Saturday, with the Jews, instead of Sunday; ..." -- A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies, by Rev. John Laux M.A., Benzinger Brothers, 1936 edition, Part 1.

"Sunday is a Catholic institution, and... can be defended only on Catholic principles.... From beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first." Catholic Press, Aug. 25, 1900

"The Sabbath was Saturday, not Sunday. The Church altered the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of Sunday. Protestants must be rather puzzled by the keeping of Sunday when God distinctly said, 'Keep holy the Sabbath Day.' The word Sunday does not come anywhere in the Bible, so, without knowing it they are obeying the authority of the Catholic Church." Canon Cafferata, The Catechism Explained, p. 89.

BTW the 7th Day Baptist was there before the 7th Day Adventist even existed.

:)

PopeFrancis,

It appears you’ve got ‘talking points’ from a Seventh-day Adventist ( creature Christ ) website…
…The Apostles were the early Church and so when we say ‘The Church’ ordained Sunday to be ‘The Day’.
…It simply means the Apostles, through the instruction of the Holy Spirit, made the change.

To Catholic’s this is what ‘The Church’ is.

I would spend less time on Arian and Semi-Arian creature Christ websites such as are operated by SDA’s, Christadelphians, etc…
…And more time reading your Bible and the Catechism.
…It will allow you to see right through these foppish ( and very weak ) arguments you are posting.

[quote="Pythons, post:6, topic:310235"]
PopeFrancis,

It appears you've got 'talking points' from a Seventh-day Adventist ( creature Christ ) website...
...The Apostles were the early Church and so when we say 'The Church' ordained Sunday to be 'The Day'.
...It simply means the Apostles, through the instruction of the Holy Spirit, made the change.

To Catholic's this is what 'The Church' is.

I would spend less time on Arian and Semi-Arian creature Christ websites such as are operated by SDA's, Christadelphians, etc...
...And more time reading your Bible and the Catechism.
...It will allow you to see right through these foppish ( and very weak ) arguments you are posting.

[/quote]

I actually found "priest Brady" citation hysterical. Like the name Brady wasn't generic in that time period. Could you get more vague.silly SDA Tricks

[quote="juliamajor, post:7, topic:310235"]
I actually found "priest Brady" citation hysterical. Like the name Brady wasn't generic in that time period. Could you get more vague.silly SDA Tricks

[/quote]

What really is disturbing is how many people don't realize that the SDA's advocate a creature Christ....
...They claim Jesus isn't 'God' in the ultimate sense.
...Then they go on these odd tangents about the Sabbath.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.