New at teaching 6th & 7th graders

Hi this will be my 1st year teaching catechism. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. The theme is “Blest Are We” I was wondering does anyone have any great lessons or projects you can share with me. Class starts in 2 weeks. Please any help will be appreciated.
God Bless
Deb

I was assured that teaching 7th and 8th grade CCD gains you double time off from Purgatory.:smiley:

Deb, we have several members who are experienced catechists and quite knowledgeable. I think they might be able to help you, but I am concerned that they won’t see your question since it is down here in the Staff Chat forum.

Would you consider posing the question in the Evangelization forum? If you do, I think you would be more likely to get the answers you are looking for.

Here is the link to that forum:
forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I’m not really excited about Blest are We, because it’s not so conducive to group discussions. That age is really curious. I would read and discuss the whole lesson with them, and make sure they look up the reference verses in a bible. IF you do the read and discuss method, they will start coming up with all sorts of “stump the catechist” questions. Don’t answer them unless you are ABSOLUTELY 100% positive of the answer. Instead post a tagboard poster with a gigantic question mark cut out of construction paper, or drawn with a big marker. Give the kids sticky notes to write down the questions that you can’t answer, then come back here during the week and look up the answers. :smiley:

Tell them how much you love them and want them to go to heaven.
Candy treats always work for getting the kids to overcome lethargy.
First one to find today’s gospel in the bible gets a mini snickers.

I heard it was kINDERGARTEN. i HEARD IT was a “Get out of Purgatory free” pass. :smiley:

you are both wrong, it is 9th grade boys

welcome to all new catechists. You Can Do This!

first meet with the DRE and find out what the program is.

Blest are We is the name of a textbook series from a publisher, now RCL-Benziger (formerly Silver-Burdett) not the greatest but if that is what you have been given, work with it. Use the text as a jumping off point, a resource that tells you what to cover, in what order. If you are not given a calendar make your own, and some preliminary lesson plans, so you see how you will cover the material in the time allotted.

REading from the book is mind-numbing so find creative ways to have them digest the information, chew on it, retain it, and give it back.

the catechist manual has a valuable section on the characteristics of this age group, and techniques that work with them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.