New Bishop Writes to British Prime Minister

Bishop Philip Egan, who was just appointed to Portsmouth Diocese here in England in September, has written a brilliant letter to the Prime Minister, David Cameron, further to the public consultation we have just had here on same-sex ‘marriage’. I thought it would be well worth posting a link to the full text of the letter on here…

portsmouthdiocese.org.uk/bishop/talks_and_addresses/2012-12-15-Letter-to-PM.pdf

…as it is brilliant and erudite and makes the case extremely well. You might find it useful as you fight this battle in your own country. I’ve written a bit about it here.

Have you heard the latest, FF?

A gay couple from Essex are considering mounting a legal challenge over the rights of same sex couples to marry in the Church of England.

Millionaires and civil partners Tony and Barrie Drewitt-Barlow, from Essex, made history when they became the first gay parents to have both their names on children’s birth certificates.

Plans to allow same-sex marriage are due to be introduced before the next election in 2015 but Equalities Minister Maria Miller intends to make gay marriage in the Church of England and the Church in Wales illegal.

As committed Christians the couple, who have been together for 25 years and now have five children, believe that the law discriminates again them.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20758816

Gay marriage advocates always say the Church will never forced to offer to marry gay couples and here is evidence that is not true. This lawsuit is only the beginning if gay marriage is legalised

And all lawsuits will be under the guise of “faith equality”. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Have you heard about current considerations for the repeal of our laws on insult? Wait for a right old mess when that comes around if and when gay “marriage” is enacted.

I didn’t think it would take long for that to happen. Doesn’t surprise me it was that horrible pair either!

Your new bishop’s letter to the prime minister is brilliant, especially the distinction between absolute equality and relative equality. It is interesting in the article that you cite that …

… Equalities Minister Maria Miller intends to make gay marriage in the Church of England and the Church in Wales illegal. …

Sounds like there is an “equalities minister” that grasps the concept.

Thank you for this Fighting Fat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.