New Catholic Church in Northern Utah

I can’t think of a better place to be right now in my life. Cache Valley Utah is a very special place. We are building a new Catholic Church here in the Spring. It will be centered right in the middle of the valley with the foot of the Rockies all around. The Church will be built in the shape of a cross. This would be seen if you were standing on any one of the mountains that surround this valley. You can see a drawing of this Church here:
catholic-rcia.com/pages/Saint_Thomas.html

The faithful have raised around two million over the last seven years or so and the Bishop has just approved enough to build the Chapel and offices. It will not be complete until we have gathered enough to built the School, the classrooms. If you would like to help just call Father Clearance. The numbers can be found at the link above. Anything would help even if only Five dollars. If you can spread the word please do. Utah is a land of lost souls. People trying to do so much good. If they could only come to know the God that Christians have come to know, look out! A very good find for Christ. They would come to know where this good comes from.

Lord, you are not pleased with someone simply because that person is knowledgeable. In fact, it would be possible for one to know everything there is to know in the whole wide world, except for knowing you, and consequently know nothing. Just as another person could live in blissful ignorance of the great sum of human knowledge, but know you, and be both happy and content. After all, who is better placed - the person who owns a tree and gives You thanks for all the good things it provides; or the one who owns a similar tree and knows its weight and dimensions down to the least leaf, but does not realize that You are its Creator and that it is through You that he or she has use of it? In essence, the latter person is ignorant, though full of facts, and the former person wise, though bit short on details.

What a beautiful place for a church. Utah in general is a great place to vacation becuase of its beauty. I think Utah is ripe for Catholic Conversion.

Color me crazy but while Mormons are very anti-catholic. They do recognize the need for an infalliable church body and authoratative head. They see the weakness and confusion in the protestant community. If they are prompted to leave for Christianity I think Catholicism for these reasons would be an atrractive option for them. But as much of Utah’s social structure is tied to the church no conversion is easy.

Yes, Rich123456, my family and I would love to help build this beautiful new church in Utah! Love the web-site you provided. Are there any other Catholic Church activities when it comes to ministering to Mormons in Utah? Just read some statistics not long ago that the majority of Mormons in Utah that leave Mormonism convert to Catholicism before Protestantism. I would love to help in any capacity possible. Mormons so urgently need to hear God’s truth !! God bless you for all your work in the Lord to the lost souls in Utah. GOD’S MERCY ENDURES FOREVER!

I have been involved in the RCIA in Logan for about 4 years now. We have a good size class this year. We have 3 Mormon couples inquiring right now. You would think that with 100,000 people in this valley that there would be more. But I have found that most Catholics, maybe all here do not feel a calling to go out and preach Christ and His Church. For the most part I believe they wait for someone to come. I know that I have been called to do something a bit differently. Right now, all I can say is that it is in the making. You can say a prayer for me if you will.

When I hear Catholics say that all we need to do is be ourselves, that this will show the Mormons how we are in Christ. I have a hard time with that. I know that I am fallen and really in the end cannot show them anything that they would feel that they do not already have. What I can show them is that I am fallen, that only in Christ can I stand for anything, as this notion is not familiar to them. If they look at how I run my life what is that? I have nothing to show accept Christ. (”Nothing”) I feel that there is a great need here in Cache Valley Utah to reach out, through marketing to the Mormons. For instance, as the RCIA approaches each year we run about 4 ads in the local newspaper to get the word out. I would like to see such ads running all year long. We also have radio up here in this Valley; I would like to see some radio ads running at least a few times a week. I would also like to have classes offered all year long that HARVEST for the RCIA. Each Class would have its own topic like the RCIA. Again it would be running always, a rotating door so to speak. Each person attending would be assigned a Catholic that is knowledgably in the faith where they could call to have questions answered. I am also in search of other Catholics that would “God Forbid” go door to door. Handing out the invitations to the 2000 year old Catholic Mass. [/font]http://catholic-rcia.com/pages/Mormon_Questions/Morman_Questions.html

Being Catholic makes this so exciting for Christ. we should not forget that we are not built on another church’s fall, we are built on Christ beause of our fall. Mormons are very receptive in a sense; curious may be a better word. I have five thousand invitations sitting in my garage right now. I am a contractor and winter is soon coming and this means I will slow down. Soon I will be hitting the streets of Logan. Again Pray for me up here….keep in touch

If you would like to make a donation to help with my goals to evangelize please call Father Clearance Sandavol at 435-753-6724

Regarding the evangelization fund.

Here is a bit of my story, where my motivation comes so to speak. What I can offer someone in need. “If only my parents had known God”

[/font]http://catholic-rcia.com/pages/Forgive.html

Peace in Christ

Rich Horrell

[/font]www.catholic-rcia.com

435-881-5722.

I have been involved in the RCIA in Logan for about 4 years now. We have a good size class this year. We have 3 Mormon couples inquiring right now. You would think that with 100,000 people in this valley that there would be more. But I have found that most Catholics, maybe all here do not feel a calling to go out and preach Christ and His Church. For the most part I believe they wait for someone to come. I know that I have been called to do something a bit differently. Right now, all I can say is that it is in the making. You can say a prayer for me if you will.

When I hear Catholics say that all we need to do is be ourselves, that this will show the Mormons how we are in Christ. I have a hard time with that. I know that I am fallen and really in the end cannot show them anything that they would feel that they do not already have. What I can show them is that I am fallen, that only in Christ can I stand for anything, as this notion is not familiar to them. If they look at how I run my life what is that? I have nothing to show accept Christ. (”Nothing”) I feel that there is a great need here in Cache Valley Utah to reach out, through marketing to the Mormons. For instance, as the RCIA approaches each year we run about 4 ads in the local newspaper to get the word out. I would like to see such ads running all year long. We also have radio up here in this Valley; I would like to see some radio ads running at least a few times a week. I would also like to have classes offered all year long that HARVEST for the RCIA. Each Class would have its own topic like the RCIA. Again it would be running always, a rotating door so to speak. Each person attending would be assigned a Catholic that is knowledgably in the faith where they could call to have questions answered. I am also in search of other Catholics that would “God Forbid” go door to door. Handing out the invitations to the 2000 year old Catholic Mass. [/font]http://catholic-rcia.com/pages/Mormon_Questions/Morman_Questions.html

Being Catholic makes this so exciting for Christ. we should not forget that we are not built on another church’s fall, we are built on Christ beause of our fall. Mormons are very receptive in a sense; curious may be a better word. I have five thousand invitations sitting in my garage right now. I am a contractor and winter is soon coming and this means I will slow down. Soon I will be hitting the streets of Logan. Again Pray for me up here….keep in touch

If you would like to make a donation to help with my goals to evangelize please call Father Clearance Sandavol at 435-753-6724

Regarding the evangelization fund.

Here is a bit of my story, where my motivation comes so to speak. What I can offer someone in need. “If only my parents had known God”

[/font]http://catholic-rcia.com/pages/Forgive.html

Peace in Christ

Rich Horrell

435-881-5722.

Hi Rich123456,

What wonderful ideas! Will be praying for you and your parish. Does your parish offer adult education classes now? Many parishes do. This was a program put together about 5 years ago by the American Catholic Bishops as an education program for Catholic adults. If your parish doesn’t have adult education classes, you or someone else might want to look into such a program. It seems to you some folks in your parish lack zeal for their faith. Could be because it has been a while since they were reminded of the teachings of Christ and His Church and the history of the Church. Catholics need to be solidly educated and on fire for the Lord, before they will want to reach others for Christ. (Such as yourself.)

How exciting! You sound like Utah’s modern-day St. Francis!

I will look into those classes.
Thanks
God Bless
Rich

rich, Good luck and God bless. Had a friend that recently visited Utah.She went to a Catholic Church two Sundays in a row. The first Sunday there was only a Communion Service by a lay person. The second Sunday there was a deacon, who did a Sunday Service in Absence of A Priest. Is there a priest shortage out there?

Deacon Tony SFO

I live in Cache Valley Utah and we have a pretty good Catholic population. Mass takes place four times each weekend and we do have a full time Priest. But just 26 miles North in a town called Preston they have a Catholic population but only a traveling Priest. The Church is pretty worn down and is surrounded by Mormon Churches all taken care of very well…

The Mormons have a pretty tight marketing program for their Church. Through their Missionary program they convert others through a kind of pruned science.
I would not call it missionary work for Christ. They are fine tuned to pass on the Church’s agenda and they are young. Family, church, glory and pride move these young folks on. When they come back from their Missions they are ready for business and most become very successful. Through their strict tithing program the Church grows, temple continues to be built around the world.

I had a Catholic father call me to his home a few months back. His teenage son was about to join the Mormon Faith. I sat with him for about an hour. This young man had a clear choice.: Join a Church that could offer him a Girl friend, and more activities or stay in the Catholic Church that did not have as much of this to offer accept Christ and His Cross, what comes with that… In the end he chose the Mormon Church and broke some hearts. I feel he will come back. I could tell you so many stories about living here in Utah as a new Catholic who was raised Mormon in Northern California.

Here is one, but very brief. A very high standing Mormon once tried to convert me while I was attending the RCIA five short years ago. He pretty much offered me the world. As I left he looked at me and said this out of the blue “You really think a lot about this man Jesus don’t you?” I had a cold chill go over my entire body, I said “Yes I do, He is my everything”. I left and that night I prayed for this man. To make this short and to the point, find it in your heart, call St. Thomas Aquanis in Logan Utah and donate anything, how ever small or how ever large to our new Evangelization Fund. You can also make a donation to our building fund.

[/font]http://catholic-rcia.com/pages/Saint_Thomas.html

Pray for us that with Christ we can do what ever he asked of us and others here in Utah. To go out and Preach the Good News that we as Catholics are so blessed with. Please pass this on to others. Together we can transform this State for Christ, for his lost children.

God Bless

Rich Horrell

Saint Thomas Catholic Church Number 435-753-6724

Ask for Father Clearance of let them know why you are calling. They can help with your donation.

“Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet…When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go.” (History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 408, 409) [Whole sermon click here.]

• Joseph Smith: founder, prophet, seer, and revelator of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

[quote=Sophie]Yes, Rich123456, my family and I would love to help build this beautiful new church in Utah! Love the web-site you provided. Are there any other Catholic Church activities when it comes to ministering to Mormons in Utah? Just read some statistics not long ago that the majority of Mormons in Utah that leave Mormonism convert to Catholicism before Protestantism.
[/quote]

That makes sense seeing as the Mormon church is very hierarchical in nature.

Somone who could be a wonderful help for you is Father Dana at St. Martin de Porres in Taylorsville, UT (it’s on 2200 west, about 4800 south) he introduced me to the Catholic church.

Well, I don’t really know anything about the Mormons in Utah, but here on the East Coast, one of my best friends in the whole world is a Mormon girl very strong in her beliefs, and I’m a very devout Catholic who has spent many years in an incredibly conservative Catholic Church as an altar boy. Neither this girl nor her family, nor her friends that I know are anti-Catholic in the slightest. In fact, they are quite the opposite. My friend loves to learn about all kinds of different religions and is always asking me questions about Catholicism and has the greatest respect for my beliefs. In fact, one time I took her to a First Friday Mass followed by Adoration and Benediction, and she was rather impressed by the whole thing. She is as devout a Mormon as I am Catholic, and sometimes we get into arguments, but she loves and respects me none the less. Are other Mormons different?

[quote=Maccabees]What a beautiful place for a church. Utah in general is a great place to vacation becuase of its beauty. I think Utah is ripe for Catholic Conversion.

Color me crazy but while Mormons are very anti-catholic. They do recognize the need for an infalliable church body and authoratative head. They see the weakness and confusion in the protestant community. If they are prompted to leave for Christianity I think Catholicism for these reasons would be an atrractive option for them. But as much of Utah’s social structure is tied to the church no conversion is easy.
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.