New Catholic - Communion in both kinds

I became a Catholic on Easter this year. I receive COTT. I also want to receive communion in both kinds, as I feel this is fuller.

I told a friend after my first two masses that I was having trouble finishing chewing the sacrament before having to say “Amen” to receive the blood. He told me not to chew because it was disrespectful.

Now, I see the Priest chew the body every mass, but I understand my friend’s point. I don’t want to get his body stuck in my teeth or anything.

However, that still leaves my mouth full when I go to receive the blood. So what do I do with the host? Sometimes I tuck it into the pouch of my cheek, like a chipmunk, but that doesn’t feel so respectful.

I’m at my wit’s end and about to just stop receiving the precious blood, but I do really feel this is a fuller way to receive communion.

Any tips?

My advice to you is to step aside, allow others to go in front of you, finish taking Our Lords Body and then proceed in your own time towards the Precious Blood.

Welcome Home, <3 <3 <3

Pax Christi
Stephen <3

Shelby,

I feel uncomfortable to be talking about Our Lord’s body in such a mundane way but I guess Jesus is used to far worse treatment at our hands.

What I do is wet the top of my mouth before receiving communion, then push the host to the top of my mouth. You can then recieve his Blood without a problem. The host can be swallowed easily afterwards. If you don’t wet the top of your mouth first it might get stuck. I remember as a child having to use my finger to pry it loose. I wince in pain when I think about it now!

Tips, yes, don’t pay any attention to what your friend said. There is nothing disrespectful about chewing the Host. Jesus said “Take and eat” and eating involves chewing.

I’m concerned that you want to receive under both species because it’s a ‘fuller way’. It’s a fuller ‘sign of the Eucharistic banquet’ but you don’t get more Jesus by receiving under both species. You probably already know that but just thought I’d mention it.

Yes to your comment on “fullness”, and I also have to apologize to all who have been so kind as to respond. I am obviously still struggling with terminology and how to express things. I really do want to be reverent to the Blessed Sacrament, so I am sorry if any of this has sounded crude.

Of course not, we Love you, and we are to help you shelly, thats what brothers and sisters are for. :thumbsup: we are all one big family.

Pax Christi
Stephen <3

Some of us were taught not to chew when we made our first Communion. This was never ‘Church’ teaching but rather the pious idea of the people who taught us.

I watched older people struggle to swallow ‘real’ bread without chewing at a church were we baked our own unleavened bread. I mentioned this to the priest who had not known that some of us had been taught not to chew and he assured me that it was in no way disrespectful, rather it was Jesus’ command.

Back when I made my first Communion the Host was very thin, white flour only, and dissolved easily so it was easy to swallow without chewing. Parishes I’ve been in in recent years have mostly used a thicker, whole wheat Host which doesn’t lend itself to swallowing so easily.

Yes, chew. As I understand, in the Gospel when Jesus says, “Unless you eat my body,” the Greek word that gets translated as “eat” is actually closer in sense to “gnaw” or “chomp.” If any gets stuck in your teeth, it should dissolve, and if not then have a drink of water.

Although its perfectly acceptable to want to receive the Eucharist in both species, its certainly not necessary as the Lord is fully present in either specie.
Because I’m a recovering alcoholic, I only receive the Host. I never receive from the chalice.

And I’m receiving everything that anyone else receives. In fact, after receiving the Body of Christ the communion line “plugs up” with folks waiting to receive the chalice.

This is one of the reasons why I like the EF Mass over the OF Mass, even though I still go to the OF periodically.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.