New Catholic Encyclopedia Online !!!!!!!

Finally !!!! The New Catholic Encyclopedia, now about thirty-five years old, is available on line ( see link below ). This will be a great boon to philosophers, theologians, scientists, teachers, and ordinary Catholics, other Christians, and doubters/skeptics/agnostics/atheists.

This will especially welcome to those of you who bought a copy of the " Elements of Philosophy " by William A. Wallace, one of my all time favorites. When I got this book, I found that it leaned so heavily on the Catholic Encyclopedia that the only way you could read it was to go to the library where you had access to the New Encyclopedia.

Those unacquainted with Fr. Wallace will find him highly qualified as a Physicist, Philosopher and Theologian. He was a Navy Lieutenant Commander in WW2, serving in the Pacific at the end of the war. He was also one of Editors of the NCE.

catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=11137

I used " Substance " as a topic to give you philosophers a taste of the content.

History of Fr. William A. Wallace O.P. and list of Publications

innerexplorations.com/philtext/ww.htm

Fr. Wallace is getting up in years now but still active the last I heard. I hope some of his former students and confrers will chime in and give us any updates/information you have.

:)

Awesome I just bookmarked it

I truly dislike pop ups. Thanks, but no thanks.

Pop ups, you mean on the links? Well, Catholic Online has to pay for the lazer printing and the cost of the Encyclopedia. :thumbsup:

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:1, topic:304318"]
Finally !!!! The New Catholic Encyclopedia, now about thirty-five years old, is available on line ( see link below ). This will be a great boon to philosophers, theologians, scientists, teachers, and ordinary Catholics, other Christians, and doubters/skeptics/agnostics/atheists.

This will especially welcome to those of you who bought a copy of the " Elements of Philosophy " by William A. Wallace, one of my all time favorites. When I got this book, I found that it leaned so heavily on the Catholic Encyclopedia that the only way you could read it was to go to the library where you had access to the New Encyclopedia.

Those unacquainted with Fr. Wallace will find him highly qualified as a Physicist, Philosopher and Theologian. He was a Navy Lieutenant Commander in WW2, serving in the Pacific at the end of the war. He was also one of Editors of the NCE.

catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=11137

I used " Substance " as a topic to give you philosophers a taste of the content.

History of Fr. William A. Wallace O.P. and list of Publications

innerexplorations.com/philtext/ww.htm

Fr. Wallace is getting up in years now but still active the last I heard. I hope some of his former students and confrers will chime in and give us any updates/information you have.

:)

[/quote]

Am I missing something? It looks like the same Old Catholic Encyclopedia that is at New Advent and here at Catholic Answers.

Hmm… I looked at the NCE on-line through my library, and its article on Substance begins with:

SUBSTANCE
No common statement on the nature of substance is acceptable to all philosophers, the more famous of whom range from a full treatment of its nature to an outright rejection of its existence. From the variety of their views, however, a descriptive statement of the meaning of substance can be pieced together: it is something basic and independent in existence, standing under other realities, and a source of activity. To explain and develop a fuller definition, this article presents the early history of the term substance, a detailed analysis of its nature according to St. Thomas Aquinas, a survey of the views of modern philosophers, and a summary critique and evaluation.

EARLY HISTORY OF THE TERM
The word “substance” is a transliteration of the Latin substantia, the components of which give the root meaning of standing under. In popular usage, substance is often interchanged with ESSENCE since both terms have the same general connotation. This popular usage of the term witnesses to a constant factor in the historical development of the philosophical notion.

This looks like the Catholic Online version is the older one (its copyrights are from the early 1900s, not 1983…). :frowning:

FYI

Currently there is a supplement being prepared for the New Catholic Encyclopedia.

I found the NCE sometime back. Be careful with how much text you cut-and-paste from the NCE. After posting a chunk of NCE text on my blog, I was contacted by someone in charge of getting the NCE on-line and asked to take it down.

The person was very polite.

Edited to add: HERE is a link to the New Catholic Encyclopedia.

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:1, topic:304318"]
Finally !!!! The New Catholic Encyclopedia, now about thirty-five years old, is available on line ( see link below ).

[/quote]

I'm glad you are excited but it's been online for about twenty years, afaik.

newadvent.org/cathen/

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:9, topic:304318"]
I'm glad you are excited but it's been online for about twenty years, afaik.

newadvent.org/cathen/

[/quote]

I think the OP thought it was the New Catholic Encyclopedia, not the Old Catholic Encyclopedia.

No, this is the New one alright. It came out first in 1967. Google the New Catholic Encyclopedia and you will see. :thumbsup:

[quote="Joe_5859, post:10, topic:304318"]
I think the OP thought it was the New Catholic Encyclopedia, not the Old Catholic Encyclopedia.

[/quote]

Yes, it is the New Catholic Encyclopedia

catholic.org/encyclopedia/

I know it doesn't give a title page or any thing but compare entries and you will see.:thumbsup:

+JMJ+

Look at the article of Joan of Arc: catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=6346

The last portion reads:

At last the cause of her beatification was introduced upon occasion of an appeal addressed to the Holy See , in 1869, by Mgr Dupanloup, Bishop of Orléans, and, after passing through all its stages and being duly confirmed by the necessary miracles, the process ended in the decree being published by Pius X on 11 April, 1909. A Mass and Office of St. Joan, taken from the “Commune Virginum,” with “proper” prayers, have been approved by the Holy See for use in the Diocese of Orléans .

Note: St. Joan was canonized in 1920 by Pope Benedict XV.]

This proves to me that this is the old Catholic Encyclopedia, and not the new one.

Sorry Linusthe2nd.

The one I linked is the New Catholic Encyclopedia first published in 1967, it has several supplemental additions. The one on New Advent is the Old Catholic Encyclopedia which first came out around 1900. Obviously, the New one will have lots of information that the Old one does not. The thing is we now have two tools for lots of questions. :thumbsup:

Sorry everyone, I was wrong. Dislexia error.

I was wrong, got off on the wrong Google entry. That is the Old one, I guess the New one isn't available, not in a convenient form anyway.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:10, topic:304318"]

[/quote]

The New Advent is the new one. The one here on CAF is the only version of the old one I know of online.

Did they do a rewrite in the last 15 years and there's a NEWER new Catholic Encyclopedia?

I was wrong, too, I guess the New Advent is the old one. Huh. All these years…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.