New Covenant = Get Out of Hell Free Card?

I’m a 15 year-old poster commenting on a topic all adults face so expect a lot of disrespecting of elders. Apologies in advance.

A topic which people have been badgering me about is gay marriage. Yep. You know the deal. “You’re a homophobe” and other stuff like that. I can deal with that. What ticks me off is people using the “Jesus fufilled the Old Covenant Laws!” How can I deal with this?

You shouldn’t try to justify your beliefs to someone who is hostile to you. If you must say something, tell them to leave you alone. Personally, I would not say anything and just walk away. Don’t throw your pearls to swine.

Hi, James!

…I do not fully follow…

…about the disrespect–it seems that society has made disrespect a badge of honor… in actuality it is nothing but disgrace. When a person choses to disrespect others, he/she is committing him/herself to a greater degree of disgrace than is perceived:

1. the person actually demonstrates that he/she has no self-respect
  2. the person is disrespecting him/herself, the object of the assault, and God.

It does not make a person stronger, wiser, or smarter; it actually renders the person impotent (not able to go beyond his/her personal limitations and understanding); it demonstrates that the person lacks the ability to communicate his/her thoughts (which intimates that he/she has very little on his/her mind)…

Disrespecting others also has the side-effect of projecting insecurity and making the person into a bully who will, in turn, force others to be just as disrespectful or to ignore the person behind the assault/s.

When you state that Christ fulfilled the Old Covenant Laws, do you understand by that that He Came to free man from sin?

If that is your understanding it is partially correct.

Christ asserted that He Came not to abolish the Law but to fulfill it. This, in effect, means that Christ is not removing our obligations to God; rather, it means that He Came to uphold the Law and bring it to its full and correct status.

In Christ our sins are forgiven.

This does not mean that we can engage in a life of sin and claim Christ as our free ‘get out of hell’ ticket/card.

Christ said that the true friend Gives His Life for His friends… He did just that!

Christ also said that if we Love Him we would obey His Commandments.

Our life (Eternal Salvation) is hidden in Christ (the fulfillment of the Promise). But we cannot enjoy Salvation outside of Christ (Fellowship with Christ).

If part of the reason why you’ve posted here is that you are struggling with homosexuality, I will do my best to offer you hope and prayers…

If you are seeking to find Scriptural support for the practice of homosexuality, I can tell you that there isn’t. The Word of God is clear. Christ died so that sinners may Live. Yet, Christ cannot participate/enable man to sin.

Know, that not engaging in sex has never ever killed off anyone–we are all susceptible to temptations but, with Christ’s help, we can overcome!

Maran atha!

Angel

Just smile at them, and suggest they wait 75 years and find out for themselves!:smiley:

Hi, James!

…wow, I misread your post completely… clearly I’m not great at multitasking… I thought it read that you were posting for 15 years and I misunderstood your query completely

…it’s time to redirect:

Know that Jesus’ fulfillment of the Old Covenant Laws do not enable man to sin without eternal consequences…

Suggesting that Christ allows man to sin is an extremely liberal interpretation of Scriptures.

Christ stated:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

(St. Matthew 5:17-20)
…and while it is true that Christ did not come to condemn the world, it is also true that when man (humanity) commits himself to sin, it is man himself that condemns him:

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

(St. John 3:16-21)
The Word of God is clear about man’s determination to sin and how his fatal flaw will lead him to damnation:

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. 26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. 28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

(Romans 1:21-32)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Are those people using that statement Jesus fufilled the Old Covenant Laws!, as a justification for gay marriage?

**Rom 6: 15 What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!

**Also pertinent to read are Romans 1:24-32 and 2:1-8, 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10, and Galatians 5:17-24

Hope those help.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.