New Daily Mail poll shows huge surge in support for Britain's membership in the EU

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3423804/New-Daily-Mail-poll-shows-huge-surge-support-Britain-stay-EU.html#ixzz3yk3Dx91I

New Daily Mail poll shows huge surge in support for Britain’s membership in the EU

A new Daily Mail poll shows a huge surge in support for Britain to stay in the EU.

More Britons now support the country’s membership than those who want to leave.

Fifty-four percent of respondents in the poll - carried out by polling firm ComRes for the Daily Mail - said they would vote to remain in the EU if a referendum was held now.

Thirty-six per cent said they would vote to leave while ten per cent were undecided, a smaller share than in previous polls.

**Tony Blair also warned this week that Britain quitting the EU would also end in Scotland leaving the United Kingdom.

The former Labour prime minister admitted he is ‘very worried’ about the result and consequences of the upcoming results. **

Britain’s future membership will be determined by tens of millions of voters filling in one box with a simple black cross.

They will be asked ‘Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union’.

Voters will choose between answers reading ‘Remain a member of the European Union’ or ‘Leave the European Union’.

The wording of the question was a subject of hot debate and the Government was forced to amend it while the legislation for the referendum was going through Parliament.

The proposed form is shown in draft regulations laid before Parliament on the conduct of the national poll, one part of the legislation which must be approved at least ten weeks before the UK is asked to decide whether to remain in the EU.

The Daily Mail is a Tory newspaper with a generally soft Eurosceptic stance, so this is very interesting indeed.

While I do want Britain to stay in the EU I just cant trust polls anymore, remember last years election predictions? Every commentator and poll was saying that there would be this and that, but in the end it was possibly the most off and worst result ever.

I hope however that the opinion of the public is slimier to the poll, to leave the EU is not something that is desired.

Nigel Farage put it best “Go into any country and show the EU flag next to their flag and ask to which one they’d be more loyal to”.

He would also be the first to tell you that the Tories are also a problem (not just Labour).

And I would also remark that if joining the EU is great on principle for the EU stop it’s subsidies to the UK and then see what folks think.

Is that ‘soft’ as in ‘not hard’ or ‘soft’ as in . . . ? :wink:

Well, hopefully, the whole Brexit business will die an ignominious death.

I say that as a lifelong Tory, the Eurosceptic wing of the Party have been our equivalent of Labour’s old/new Militant Tendency ie an angry diversion.

What the hell has the EU flag got to do with the price of fish?

Of course, Mr Farage (no longer an MP you know) would say that the Tories are a problem. By promising a referendum, there is nowhere now for UKIP to go.

What are you trying to say in your final sentence? The UK is in the EU already.

(BTW when its is used to denote the possessive it has no apostrophe - its not It’s (the latter means It is…) bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_13.htm

I hope that the EU will die an ignominious death. The day the EU was created was the day democracy died. We now have decisions made by unelected officials in other countries by passing our own parliaments. As to the poll, there have been so many polls on this issue and they have showed such markedly different results that it is really of very little significance.

Well, I suppose that one certain outcome of the referendum will be to end up with half the electorate extremely angry with the other half and vice-versa. :smiley:

Hopefully the refugee crisis will lead to the EU’s demise. Once one country has the courage to leave it will show the way.

If I were to speak honestly as to my opinion of the calibre of Daily Mail journalism, I’d probably be given an infraction by the moderators :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, hopefully, the whole Brexit business will die an ignominious death.

I say that as a lifelong Tory, the Eurosceptic wing of the Party have been our equivalent of Labour’s old/new Militant Tendency ie an angry diversion.

Totally agree. Some of the best words on this whole debacle have actually come from pro-EU Tories like Ken Clarke and Lord Heseltine IMHO. I do wish Cameron the very best in convincing that angry mob with his ‘renegotiation’, even if it is largely for show.

:thumbsup:

Nigel Farage recently said it’s a about a third for, a third against, and a third undecided. People like Farage and other opponents of the EU get accused of exaggeration when describing the dangers of this organization, but if you really want to hear people go off the deep end, listen to EU supporters bang on about what the future would look like without the EU.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.