New draft translation of Mass prayers distributed to bishops

Some news from Rome on this. Also has a disturbing sidenote on Ebay:

New draft translation of Mass prayers distributed to bishops
By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

ROME (CNS) – A new draft translation of the main Mass prayers in English has been distributed to bishops and was auctioned off Oct. 5 on eBay, the Internet auction site.

The draft of the “Ordo Missae,” or Order of the Mass, was compiled by the International Commission on English in the Liturgy, which works for 11 bishops’ conferences and drafts translations of original Latin prayers.

The online bidder paid $61 for the 44-page document.

Full Story

PF

… had to smile where it said that many US Bishops were not happy that their suggestions were not heeded. That may be a good thing, and a sign of more good things to come.

Man, I have a hard time with changing something memorized!:banghead:

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Some news from Rome on this. Also has a disturbing sidenote on Ebay:PF
[/quote]

Oh I am lovin’ this new translation!

I like all of it, except the following, which I think sounds plain silly:

"The latest draft suggested: “You are indeed the holy one, O Lord, you are the wellspring of all holiness. Therefore, make holy these gifts, we pray, by the dew of your Spirit, that they may become for us the body and blood of Our Lord, Jesus Christ.”

[quote=JKirkLVNV]I like all of it, except the following, which I think sounds plain silly:

"The latest draft suggested: “You are indeed the holy one, O Lord, you are the wellspring of all holiness. Therefore, make holy these gifts, we pray, by the dew of your Spirit, that they may become for us the body and blood of Our Lord, Jesus Christ.”
[/quote]

I concur. Silly. :yup:

I have a suggestion. Why doesn’t the Holy See just suppress EP 2 entirely? I doubt anyone would miss it.

I’ve been to Mass many times when EP 2 was used and I thought I did miss it. :confused:

I have a suggestion. Why doesn’t the Holy See just suppress EP 2 entirely? I doubt anyone would miss it.

I think a lot of priests like saying mass using EP II, I’ve heard it plenty of times.

There would be more opposition that you think, IMO as a layman.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]I concur. Silly. :yup:

I’ve been to Mass many times when EP 2 was used and I thought I did miss it. :confused:
[/quote]

I wouldn’t mind seeing EP 3 supressed as well. EP 1 (the Roman Canon) and EP 4 just seem so much more Catholic to me. Having said that I also wouldn’t mind seeing EP 4 supressed and the entire Roman Church using just the Roman Canon.

James

[quote=MrS]… had to smile where it said that many US Bishops were not happy that their suggestions were not heeded. That may be a good thing, and a sign of more good things to come.
[/quote]

me too :D… so is this every going to become a reality?

[quote=Kielbasi]I think a lot of priests like saying mass using EP II, I’ve heard it plenty of times.

[/quote]

I always assumed it was used so often because it is so short. but then someone suggested to me the it may be used by many priests because it does not convey the fact that the Mass is a sacrifice as well as other Eucharistic Prayers.

I hope this is not the case.

James

[quote=James0235]I wouldn’t mind seeing EP 3 supressed as well. EP 1 (the Roman Canon) and EP 4 just seem so much more Catholic to me. Having said that I also wouldn’t mind seeing EP 4 supressed and the entire Roman Church using just the Roman Canon.

James
[/quote]

I don’t know that EP 4 needs to be suppressed. I can’t remember the last time I heard it. The conservatives don’t use it because they usually use the Roman Canon and the liberals don’t like it because it has too many references to “man” and “mankind.” What’s the point of having an EP that nobody uses?

[quote=Kielbasi]I think a lot of priests like saying mass using EP II, I’ve heard it plenty of times.

[/quote]

I was being ironic, K. Course they’d squawk. No more of those hideous post-Vatican II speed Masses that we’ve all witnessed.

Why, I remember one time when I was a kid, some drunk Irish priest, muttering a language I presumed was English, used Greeting C, Penitential Rite B, [omitted the text in brackets], rushed thru EP 2, used Final Blessing A and Dismissal A. Mass was over in 7 minutes! I was scandalized! SCANDALIZED, I SAY!!

To quote Michael Jackson, “It was horrifying!” :bigyikes:

Keep #2 and #3 around, but relegate them to weekday Mass only.

PF

How about this? Use the Roman Canon ONLY (EP #1). It has been with us since about the 6th Century, if not earlier. Dump the rest, keep the best!

[quote=JKirkLVNV]I like all of it, except the following, which I think sounds plain silly:

[/quote]

Dude! That was my favorite re-inclusion that I had read in the article! I found it an incredibly profund prayer of offering over the gifts. Dunno why you don’t like it.

Josh

**My favourite part of the translation has to be the prayer before the presence of the Eucharist… “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.”

You can’t get any more humble than that beautiful prayer!!

Seemingly to say, I am quite excited for this form of the Mass to enter into Canadian borders. I’d love to have our Mass to be beautiful not only in worship, but also in verbal prayer.

[/quote]

And how would you translate *“Haec ergo dona, quaesumus, **Spiritus tui rore **sanctifica…” *?
(That’s the 1970 *Missale Romanum, *but if the above is proposed in the draft, I imagine it must not have changed)

Do folks want a faithful translation of the Latin or not?

tee

[quote=tee_eff_em]And how would you translate *“Haec ergo dona, quaesumus, **Spiritus tui rore ***sanctifica…” ?
(That’s the 1970 *Missale Romanum, *but if the above is proposed in the draft, I imagine it must not have changed)

Do folks want a faithful translation of the Latin or not?

tee
[/quote]

It sounds silly in English. It isn’t essential (the Fathers agreed almost universally that “This is My Body” and “This is My Blood” is the only essential), so I wouldn’t attempt to translate it if it cannot be translated. Sometimes it just doesn’t work.

I always liked “Come, You Who make holy, Lord God Almighty and Everlasting, and bless this sacrifice made ready for your name.” “Dew of Your Spirit” sounds effeminate.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]It sounds silly in English. It isn’t essential (the Fathers agreed almost universally that “This is My Body” and “This is My Blood” is the only essential), so I wouldn’t attempt to translate it if it cannot be translated.
[/quote]

First off, I don’t think it sounds silly. Its very appropriate to the prayers of the mass. Seriously, why do you think its silly?

And not translating things that people don’t like the sound of is what got us into this whole mess to begin with.

Josh

[quote=threej_lc]First off, I don’t think it sounds silly. Its very appropriate to the prayers of the mass. Seriously, why do you think its silly?

And not translating things that people don’t like the sound of is what got us into this whole mess to begin with.

Josh
[/quote]

I thought I was clear. It sounds effeminate. This is a subjective opinion, and I acknowledge it to be as such.

Translating is difficult. If this doesn’t translate well, leave it out. It doesn’t have to be there, as it isn’t an essential.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.