New fundamentalist movement back to Leviticus food laws?

My X- Lutheran Mother in Law is into some strange new “primitive foods” thing. It goes back to Leviticus and Hebrews, following their covenant with clean and unclean foods, etc. I tried to explain that Jesus came to fulfill the laws and as God’s perfect unblemished lamb, He was the final sacrifice, that St Paul taught that we are no longer obliged to those laws for the old covenant such as circumcision, clean and unclean foods etc.

Apparently there is a new fundamentalist movement to go back to this, I have been doing searches but haven’t found anything yet. I do know there is a bizarre radio show about this but haven’t heard it myself. Suddenly there is no eating of pig, rabbit, shellfish, she drinks goat’s milk , uses sea salt etc. etc. Some people are vegans and some are obsessing over hunting their own food and moving to unpopulated areas such as Montana. The first ppl I met who were into this, had kids at my daughter’s Karate Academy. They just up and moved to Montana with no apparent rhyme or reason…

I am not sure what book she is getting this from, can anyone enlighten me on this new movement toward following Jewish covenant law such as what is included in Leviticus???

WHAT DOES GOD SAY IS GOOD FOR US TO EAT?

Salt is good

Luke 14:34 "Salt is good, but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
Job 6:6 “Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?”

Butter, oil and fat, honey, whole milk, and pure grape juice are GOOD!

Abraham served butter and milk to the men the Lord sent (Gen.18:8)
Do you think they had margarine and low-fat milk back then?

The Lord speaks of how He leads and blesses Jacob…
Deuteronomy 32:12-14 “So the Lord alone did lead him…He made him ride on the high places of the earth, that he might EAT the increase of the fields; and he made him to suck HONEY out of the rock, and OIL out of the flinty rock; BUTTER of kine, and MILK of sheep, with FAT of lambs, and…thou didst drink the pure blood of grapes” (pure 100% grape juice)

Honey, oil, butter, milk, fat and pure, undiluted juices are the very kinds of foods the world has been telling us to stay away from! Yet the Lord doesn’t speak of these foods in a negative light, but rather a positive one! The world has been trying to instill a strange sense of fear towards these kinds of foods that God gave to bless us! Who instituted the “food pyramid” anyway? Did God say that we should only have 1-2 servings of the foods listed at the top of the world’s pyramid? (You can find a diagram of the world’s food pyramid on any cereal box and most food items.)

(Moderation and temperance will be discussed later, but keep in mind…)
“Hast thou found honey, eat so much as is SUFFICIENT for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.” (Proverbs 25:16)
A few of the many different kinds of food mentioned in the Bible that God provided for His people:

Bread (mentioned throughout the entire Bible!-more on this later)
Cheese (1 Samuel 17:18, 2 Samuel 17:29)
Fish, cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, garlic (Numbers 11:5)
Beans, lentiles (2 Samuel 17:28, Ezekiel 4:9, Genesis 25:34, 2 Sam 23:11)
Of course, we’re not limited to only what’s been mentioned!

God cautions us not to eat the following for spiritual and health reasons:

Acts 15:20 "…abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and FROM THINGS STRANGLED, AND FROM BLOOD…"
Genesis 9:3,4 "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But FLESH WITH THE LIFE THEREOF, which is of the BLOOD thereof, shall ye not eat."
I Corinthians 10:28 “But if any man say unto you, This is offered in SACRIFICE UNTO IDOLS, EAT NOT for the sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake…”
(don’t eat food that someone tells you has been sacrificed to idols/devils, so you don’t cause anyone to stumble)

Q: Do we rely on the physicians, doctors, nutritionists and professors of the world or the Great Physician who created us?
(I’m not saying that all physicians are bad, but that we ought to be very careful where our confidence lies!) “Luke, the beloved physician” (Colossians 4:14) wrote the 3rd book of the New Testament.

a. 2 Chronicles 16:12 “And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: YET IN HIS DISEASE HE SOUGHT NOT TO THE LORD, BUT TO THE PHYSICIANS.”

b. Luke 8:43 “And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any…”

FOR STRENGTH

Ecclesiastes 10:17 “Blessed art thou, O land, when thy king is the son of nobles, and thy princes EAT IN DUE SEASON, FOR STRENGTH, and NOT FOR DRUNKENNESS.”

God doesn’t want us to eat in a way that we can’t think soberly; when food dictates, when our taste buds dictate, and when God no longer dictates. God doesn’t ever want food to control us more than Him! (we’ll discuss this more later)BREAD IS GOOD FOR YOU (no matter what man might say, God says it plainly here and we know His Word is TRUE–bread strengthens man’s heart)

Psalm 104:15 “And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and BREAD WHICH STRENGTHENS MAN’S HEART.”

*Something very interesting to notice….[indent]Genesis 47: 13 "And there was NO BREAD in all the land; for the FAMINE was very sore, so that the land of Egypt and all the land of Canaan FAINTED by reason of the FAMINE.

v.15b "…all the Egyptians came unto Joseph, and said, Give us BREAD: for why should we DIE in thy presence?…
v. 16, 17 “And Joseph said, Give your CATTLE; and I will give you for your cattle, if money fail. And they brought their CATTLE unto Joseph: and Joseph gave them BREAD in EXCHANGE for HORSES, and for the FLOCKS, and for the CATTLE of the herds, and for the ASSES: HE FED THEM WITH BREAD FOR ALL THEIR CATTLE FOR THAT YEAR.”

My conclusion: Notice that the famine was so bad that they were fainting and fearing death because they had NO BREAD, but NOTICE how they had PLENTY OF MEAT (very high protein/no or low-carbohydrate diet) from all their cattle and other livestock!! Be careful what the world tells you…you could endanger your health….God always knows best!

GOD DOES CARE ABOUT YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH
3 John v. 2 “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”

Acts 27:34, 35 “Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health…And when [Paul] had thus spoken, he took bread, and gave thanks to God…”

1 Timothy 5:23 “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities.”
(Remember-back then, wine was simply pure grape juice!)

Food that isn’t good for you…[indent]i. Job 6:30b “…cannot my taste discern perverse things?”

God obviously never meant for us to eat things that are spoiled, moldy or rotten…God gave us eyes to see mold and taste buds to guard us against real hazards.
ii. Things strangled (Acts 15:20)
iii. Blood/living things (Acts 15:20, Genesis 9:3,4)

[/indent][/indent]

Mark 7:18-19 says it all-

18He said to them, “Are even you likewise without understanding? Do you not realize that everything that goes into a person from outside cannot defile,
19since it enters not the heart but the stomach and passes out into the latrine?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

ALL FOODS ARE CLEAN-there is no even Scriptural basis for these fundamentalist claims that we should obey the Old Testament laws concerning food. I remember my old Polish relatives once made czarnina, which was duck blood soup. All foods are clean, although I can see why a person wouldn’t want to eat food sacrificed to pagan gods.

Furthermore, wine is not “pure grape juice”-wine is fermented (basically controlled decomposing) grape juice.

Here is some food for thought, sorry bad pun :slight_smile:

Here is a previous thread on this subject:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=813
Post number 7 is mine.

You can also read the whole thing at my website
machado-family.com

Joao

[quote=ComradeAndrei]Mark 7:18-19 says it all-

18He said to them, “Are even you likewise without understanding? Do you not realize that everything that goes into a person from outside cannot defile,
19since it enters not the heart but the stomach and passes out into the latrine?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

ALL FOODS ARE CLEAN-there is no even Scriptural basis for these fundamentalist claims that we should obey the Old Testament laws concerning food. I remember my old Polish relatives once made czarnina, which was duck blood soup. All foods are clean, although I can see why a person wouldn’t want to eat food sacrificed to pagan gods.

Furthermore, wine is not “pure grape juice”-wine is fermented (basically controlled decomposing) grape juice.
[/quote]

I have given her this quote… she will NEVER buy the wine/grape juice explanation, I have tried it before. :wink: She is a T-totaler, she Catholic’s are evil, and prime example, the use of Communion WINE rather than grape juice. She is an “X” Lutheran because at her church the pastor used to make an exception for her and give her grape juice rather than wine. She quit going for a long time and when she finally went back they forgot and gave her wine, they had no grape juice for her. She hasn’t been back since. Very sad.

[quote=JoaoMachado]Here is some food for thought, sorry bad pun :slight_smile:

Here is a previous thread on this subject:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=813
Post number 7 is mine.

You can also read the whole thing at my website
machado-family.com

Joao
[/quote]

Thank you, I did a thread search but came up empty! I have been hearing fundamentalist aquaintences discuss this but was unaware of what a big movement it is. Satan delights in the fact that some of us Christians are willing to get caught up in the Laws and covenants which Jesus already fulfilled. Gee, it is like he was never here. …

[quote=Peace-bwu]My X- Lutheran Mother in Law is into some strange new “primitive foods” thing. It goes back to Leviticus and Hebrews, following their covenant with clean and unclean foods, etc. I
[/quote]

no doubt circumcision by a designated Orthodox Jewish practitioner will also be reinstated, for infants and adult males not previously circumcised by an approved person, within these communities. the will also be erecting ritual bath houses in their communities so that family purity laws may be observed.

Does it mean that they will also be bringing back stoning as well?

[quote=Peace-bwu]My X- Lutheran Mother in Law is into some strange new “primitive foods” thing. It goes back to Leviticus and Hebrews, following their covenant with clean and unclean foods, etc. I tried to explain that Jesus came to fulfill the laws and as God’s perfect unblemished lamb, He was the final sacrifice, that St Paul taught that we are no longer obliged to those laws for the old covenant such as circumcision, clean and unclean foods etc.

Apparently there is a new fundamentalist movement to go back to this, I have been doing searches but haven’t found anything yet. I do know there is a bizarre radio show about this but haven’t heard it myself. Suddenly there is no eating of pig, rabbit, shellfish, she drinks goat’s milk , uses sea salt etc. etc. Some people are vegans and some are obsessing over hunting their own food and moving to unpopulated areas such as Montana. The first ppl I met who were into this, had kids at my daughter’s Karate Academy. They just up and moved to Montana with no apparent rhyme or reason…

I am not sure what book she is getting this from, can anyone enlighten me on this new movement toward following Jewish covenant law such as what is included in Leviticus???
[/quote]

If Christians do that, they should be consistent, and ignore the part of Acts and the letters which make clear that the Levitical laws do not have any weight for Christians.

To be more consistent yet, they should become Premillenarian Dispensationalists, and treat life of the Church as a temporary interruption in God’s purposes, so that prophecies not fulfilled in reality for Israel may in due course be fulfilled by referring to Israel - not fulfilled in Christ, as Christians have traditionally thought. Then the entire Levitical priesthood can be restored.

To be even more consistent, they should become Reconstructionists, and make the whole Law of Moses the law of the land.

serve.com/thibodep/cr/cr.htm

The New Testament teaches us that–unless exceptions are revealed elsewhere–every Old Testament commandment is binding, even as the standard of justice for all magistrates (Rom. 13:1-4), including every recompense stipulated for civil offenses in the law of Moses (Heb 2:2). From the New Testament alone we learn that we must take as our operating presumption that any Old Testament penal requirement is binding today on all civil magistrates. The presumption can surely be modified by definite, revealed teaching in the Scripture, but in the absence of such qualifications or changes, any Old Testament penal sanction we have in mind would be morally obligatory for civil rulers.

As for stoning: serve.com/thibodep/cr/stoning2.htm

To be entirely consistent, they should reject Jesus as a false prophet, and become Jews. ##

I have given her this quote… she will NEVER buy the wine/grape juice explanation, I have tried it before. She is a T-totaler, she Catholic’s are evil, and prime example, the use of Communion WINE rather than grape juice.

Well, she has Mr. Welch to thank for widely drinkable grape juice. Before his process to make grape juice last, it WILL turn into wine (generally with nasty results). The only way to make it usable was to control the fermentation process and make it palatable. The alcohol is what makes it last.

I really can’t see the logic in thinking that all of the Old and New Testament quotes about drinking wine “actually” refer to grape juice. The pharisees falsely accused Jesus of being a drunkard-I don’t know how they could accuse him of being a drunkard if all they drank back then was grape juice!

[quote=ComradeAndrei]Well, she has Mr. Welch to thank for widely drinkable grape juice. Before his process to make grape juice last, it WILL turn into wine (generally with nasty results). The only way to make it usable was to control the fermentation process and make it palatable. The alcohol is what makes it last.

I really can’t see the logic in thinking that all of the Old and New Testament quotes about drinking wine “actually” refer to grape juice. The pharisees falsely accused Jesus of being a drunkard-I don’t know how they could accuse him of being a drunkard if all they drank back then was grape juice!
[/quote]

I told her all this when my husband and I got married 10 years ago and had moderate amounts of alcohol at our wedding. She doesn’t believe me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.