New Genetic Research Findings: not very good news for the Mormon religion

news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=9101

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/news_assets/news_images/spacer.gif
Native Americans Descended From a Single Ancestral Group, DNA Study Confirms

For two decades, researchers have been using a growing volume of genetic data to debate whether ancestors of Native Americans emigrated to the New World in one wave or successive waves, or from one ancestral Asian population or a number of different populations.
Now, after painstakingly comparing DNA samples from people in dozens of modern-day Native American and Eurasian groups, an international team of scientists thinks it can put the matter to rest: Virtually without exception the new evidence supports the single ancestral population theory.
“Our work provides strong evidence that, in general, Native Americans are more closely related to each other than to any other existing Asian populations, except those that live at the very edge of the Bering Strait,” said Kari Britt Schroeder, a lecturer at the University of California, Davis, and the first author on the paper describing the study.
“While earlier studies have already supported this conclusion, what’s different about our work is that it provides the first solid data that simply cannot be reconciled with multiple ancestral populations,” said Schroeder, who was a Ph.D. student in anthropology at the university when she did the research.

There’s a lot more at the link, but the gist of it is, it is now proven impossible for any population of Native Americans to be descended from middle eastern Hebrews. No more excuses, guys. The Mormon religion is a work of complete fantasy.

Good link. Thanks for finding it. Not that it is a surprise - it just further affirms what every other scientific discipline has proven: the BOM is a 19th century work of fiction, and a fraud.
Paul

So where did those people live for “thousands of years” “isolated from the rest of Asia”? That is the question I would be fascinated to find out the answer to. And why were they isolated?

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, will be to contact the scientists who debunked the Mormon fable.

I would be interested in the answer, too–not because I believe the LDS story, but because it’s a good question.

What was the area like then? Does anyone know?

Just people, like any other people, doing what people do. Some of them were my ancestors. Some lived primitively, some lived down south in more advanced civilizations. They apparently had some negative interaction with the Vikings, but the survivors assimilated into the Native population. The rest left in 1421. Ho-hum. :popcorn: But the next invasion from Europe seems to deny it. Somehow, I think it has something to do with European racism. Maybe even the book of BS. :newidea: Typical European apostasy. Ho-hum. Was such a boring subject, until the racism touched my life to the point of trauma.:frighten:

Ricko,
Whenever I come across such an article as was linked here, I am very interested in reading it. I don’t consider them “debunking” at all–rather, the opposite. (That would be because I don’t consider Carbon-14 dating to be very accurate at all.)

Jerusha,
The article said those people were isolated in Asia, not in the Americas, for “thousands of years” before coming into North America by the land bridge. Some articles wonder why they ended up so soon down in the southern part of South America, if there was only one source up north for the entire population.

I’ve never read the answer to my questions posed earlier here in any article I’ve read. I don’t think the scientists know the answer to those questions, nor have I read an assumption about why. Interesting subject, though.

people were isolated in Asia, not in the Americas, for “thousands of years” before coming into North America by the land bridge. Some articles wonder why they ended up so soon down in the southern part of South America, if there was only one source up north for the entire population.

That is simple. Some moved back to Asia. There was travel both directions. Somehow, white folk always say that Natives haven’t been here long, and that gives them justification for having done what they have done. :rolleyes: And they will use ANYTHING to shore up what eases their sense of guilt.

Like ricko’s narrow-mindedness (I call it Columbian narrowmindedness) is almost as bad as Mormon narrowmindedness. And the CCC states that racism is a form of idolatry.

One word: glaciation. In a world before airplanes, huge sheets of moving ice hundreds of square miles in size would and did keep populations isolated from other populations for very long periods of time.

And if hebrew DNA was discovered in the population where would the catholic posters be now? My guess is: with the mormons.

Also, since the book of mormon is claimed to be a second witness of christ, in other words, a further proof that christ not only existed but was the son of god, I would think that members of the catholic forum would be wishing for the book of mormon being conclusively proven true in which case, it would also prove that god exists and quite literally destroy Dawkins’ scientific atheism theory and the need for blind faith.

But…catholic line of thinking hasn’t reached that point yet. ::tiphat:

Yep, but that isn’t the case, now, is it? We can play the “what if” game until the end of the world, and I suspect a lot of Mormons will be doing just that, at which point they may be in for a big surprise.

Well, the Community of Christ (formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) has long declared the Book of Mormon to be inspired writings and not Scripture. They also accept a trinitarian deity (in fact, I believe they may be Nicean) reject baptism of the dead and most of the distinctive Mormon beliefs. They’re frequently called Protestant Mormons! So I guess they’d be fine with this finding.

It seems to me that mainstream Mormonism probably will accommodate itself to this research by deciding, just as most Christians do, that some of the stories in its scripture are meant to convey a message and not to relay actual history or actual science.

Jerusha,
I have always had the same assumption as your first point.

I hear you on your other points, but I doubt I can empathize since I don’t have your perspective. I see that you have a broad education in educational psychology. I imagine that becomes helpful in understanding deep-seated feelings. I think Christ understands those kinds of feelings, and offers comfort and solace, no? I hope you have a good day. I’m sure you offer much to the world as you interact coming from a highly educated perspective and with your background. Sincerely thought and said.

This is true regarding the CoC, they are basically mainstream protestants with the BoM. Their shift to traditional Christianity however, has led to lots of schism within the church.

Anyways, I actually don’t think they will do the usual “convey” thing simply because that would train wreck decades of theology. Honestly, it would seem sensible to me if I were to hold the BoM as scripture. For me as a Catholic, I have no qualms in finding the Creation story to be symbolic, but Mormons don’t seem to take too well to symbolic messages in the BoM.

A Cermak,
Interesting observations, but as a Mormon and having read the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible many times and accepting both as literal histories for the most part (except that the period of creation was millions of years), I merely think science is doing its best to understand earth’s history but doesn’t have all of the pieces of the puzzle, and the assumptions of steadily occurring Carbon-14 dating processes are assumptions that lead to a lot of erroneous conclusions.

The Book of Mormon talks of tremendous earthquakes, uplifts, depressions, volcanoes, and land mass changes in 34 AD on these continents of the Americas. I think those geological changes actually happened at that time, and that Carbon-14 dating could not possibly predict mathematically or geologically the scientific impact of those forces and releases of internal energy from within the earth.

Funny, I’ve never considered myself narrow-minded. Care to explain?

“White folk”? How did racism creep into this thread?

Jerusha,
Not to divert from the topic at hand here, but since I think you brought up the point of cultural domination (among other things), I happen to be going to lead a discussion in a Sunday School class today about the role of free agency in our mortal world. I plan to have us as a class contrast how Christ teaches us to lead and interact in the world, as contrasted with how the devil tries to get us to lead and interact in the world. Allowing or not allowing free agency is central to those worlds-apart differences. Learning to “act and not to be acted upon (or to react)” are significant possibilities for us as mortals. The cultural domination that has been a part of the world since its inception is a great tragedy, and as you have alluded several times, we know who inspired and continues to try and foment that kind of domination within even our present-day world. Peace to all.

What a strange limitation for you to place upon your God. Raising people from the dead is no problem but a bit of genetic tinkering is out of the question? Faith, folks, Faith.

Our God (not necessarily your god, since I do not think they are the same) made us with brains and intellect for a reason. His Creation is revealed to us via what we term science and by other disciplines. Things that are supernatural are to be taken on faith. Things that are mundane and of the natural world - things like actual history - are to be explained by other means. Historical events in scripture and tradition have been shown to be true via archaeology and science. Claimed historical events in the Book of Mormon are pretty much all shown to be impossible by science and other disciplines.

Perhaps your god is a trickster god and he’s just been having you all on for the past 180+ years. :shrug: I cannot say. All I know is that my God is about Truth.

I consider it a miracle, Parker, how you came to be “right-on” within the context of LDS culture. :smiley:

Perhaps, Ricko, you have never read the BOM thoroughly. There are some good places in it, and not necessarily just what they copied out of the Bible. :cool:

IBKC, yes, the Mormon god is quite a bit of the trickster. :wink: It takes faith and mental agility to stay out of his clutches. As Parker demonstrates. And cerad just doesn’t get. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.