New Gloria on Dec 8?

I often hear people awaiting hearing the “new” gloria on Christmas, but the first ofical time it will be prayed is December 8th, right?

The Gloria “is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character.” So I would think the first day would be the Feast of St. Andrew on November 30, excepting a wedding, church consecration, anniversary of the dedication of a particular church (which ranks as a solemnity) or the like on the two prior days.

During Advent the only time we sing the Gloria is on Dec. 8 since it is a solemnity and takes precedence over the days of Advent. If the feast of St. Andrew occurs outside of Advent, which I believe is possible, then the Gloria is sung.

In the Americas, including the U.S., the Gloria is also recited on the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which is a feast. The Gloria is recited on all solemnities and feasts, including during Advent.

I disagree. The GIRM states that the Gloria is sung “[1] on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, [2] on solemnities and feasts, and [3] at special celebrations of a more solemn character.” Note that it does not say, “On Sundays, feasts, and solemnities, outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent.”

In any event, feasts of any kind outrank weekdays of Advent up to 16 December; see General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar § 59, so even by your reasoning St. Andrew’s feast would have precedence on Nov. 30.

I stand corrected. I just checked my ordo. Honestly, I have never heard it prayed during Advent except on Dec. 8. Guess our priests don’t read their ordo. But last Saturday, on the Solemnity of St. Joseph, they didn’t pray it either, and today, in my home parish they weren’t going to even celebrate the Annunciation but have a School Volunteer Liturgy (whatever that is), so I left and went to mass at a different parish, where they did celebrate the Solemnity.

Unfortunately it seems to be quite common for the Gloria to be missed on Feasts, and Gloria and Creed both on Solemnities.
Annunciation is such an important day! In fact, it’s one of two days (the other being Christmas) on which we still genuflect (rather than bowing) at the Et incarnatus est of the Creed! Last year where I went that day, it was left out… at the Cathedral. Very sad. Our great pastor remembered and announced it today, as always.

We didn’t have the creed today, and I knew about genuflecting. They went straight from the homily to the petitions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.