New ground op [in Gaza] likely if no deal in few days

Round Two may be coming

After Communications Minister Gilad Erdan said Saturday night that a new ground offensive “is closer than ever,” Channel 10 quoted unnamed diplomatic and military sources saying much the same thing, with more detail.

If no long-term arrangement is reached “within a few days” in Cairo, “on Israel’s terms,” the TV report said, then the army will move “to the next stage… a renewed ground offensive.”

This could take the form of incursions “in one or more areas… designed to harm Hamas” with the troops then “coming back out.”

The goal, as ever, would be to create conditions to ensure long-term calm for Israel. “No one is talking of reconquering the Strip,” the report says.
timesofisrael.com/day-48-mortar-victim-daniel-tragerman-4-to-be-buried-sunday-fire-from-lebanon-rocket-hits-beersheba-car/

(news report is from the newspaper’s live blog, time stamp is 02:53

Egypt calls for Gaza ceasefire as fighting rages

Egypt called on Israel and the Palestinians on Saturday to halt hostilities and resume peace talks, but both sides kept up attacks, including an Israeli air strike which destroyed a residential tower block in the center of Gaza City.

Initial reports said 17 people were wounded in the attack on the 13-storey Gaza building, local health officials said.

An Israeli military spokeswoman said the building, which collapsed completely, contained a command center belonging to Hamas militants. Local residents said it housed 44 families.

Another Israeli strike later destroyed a commercial center in the southern Gaza town of Rafah and three people were hurt, local medical staff said.

The Israeli military said it bombed about 20 targets across the Hamas-ruled strip, including rocket launchers and weapon caches next to schools.
reuters.com/article/2014/08/23/us-mideast-gaza-idUSKBN0GM11320140823

Thank you for this thread, it is timely and important.

Prayers to the Lord to help us through to a time of peace.

fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10612863_10204328383550724_9136760398816104331_n.jpg?oh=4bbd0e1c356c02d7542250bbf921f7ec&oe=54650969&gda=1415435580_5595e0492742fe9b385977c0eb920a13

Here is a very interesting work of art By Palestinian artist, `Imad Abu Shtiyyah. Rather stunning, nothing objectionable to see here I’d say in case anyone is curious. A bit surreal like maybe Salvador Dali?

Curious story here, it could have its own thread but it fits in well here:

bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28916761

Holocaust survivors condemn Israel’s Gaza 'genocide’

More than 300 Jewish survivors of the Holocaust and descendants of survivors have issued a public statement condemning Israel’s “genocide” of the Palestinian people in Gaza.

“As Jewish survivors and descendants of survivors and victims of the Nazi genocide we unequivocally condemn the massacre of Palestinians in Gaza and the ongoing occupation and colonization of historic Palestine,” the statement says.

"We further condemn the United States for providing Israel with the funding to carry out the attack, and Western states more generally for using their diplomatic muscle to protect Israel from condemnation.

“Genocide begins with the silence of the world.”

The statement goes on to call for an economic, cultural and academic boycott of Israel.

The statement came from a group I have never heard of: the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network. Is anyone familiar with them?

Netanyahu seems to be implying that Israel there will be increased attacks on civilian targets which are flagged as neutral. In so, the coming weeks will be grim.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, opening the weekly cabinet meeting, says that Israel will not halt Operation Protective Edge until security and calm have been restored.

He says Hamas will pay a heavy price for the crimes it is committing. “I call on Gaza residents to leave any location from which Hamas is conducting terror activities,” he says. “Every such place is a target for us. We have seen in recent days that there isn’t, and won’t be, any immunity for someone who fires on the citizens of Israel.”
timesofisrael.com/day-48-mortar-victim-daniel-tragerman-4-to-be-buried-sunday-fire-from-lebanon-rocket-hits-beersheba-car/

(Time stamp is 11:42)

Losing dreams in Israel and Palestine: I have no one but God
translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.aleteia.org/es/religion/contenido-agregado/perder-los-suenos-en-israel-y-palestina-no-me-queda-mas-que-dios-5783055629287424

The argentine priest in Gaza Strip: "There were homes,and there are no more,there were dreams of years and they vanished in a minute "

Translated with google translate from Spanish. The title could be better understood as " I have nothing left but God." This is what a man who returns to his destroyed home says.
Translation is rather poor but it can be understood.
Their church was not destroyed as it appeared in media.
The priest walks back with people to destroyed areas to help them.
They go back to their homes and recall where each room used to be. They find some of their belongings, clothing,a chair,a shoe,a brick…and set it apart,it is useful. They have to start from scratch with what they have. " that’s strength ! " says the priest.

Very impressive. Thank you

You are such a good researcher that I know you would easily find the footnoted article on them at wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Jewish_Anti-Zionist_Network

Having said this, if the above article I posted was not from the BBC or another mainstream outlet, I would not have posted it. I do question their figures and the story some. The BBC does have a slant but almost all news outlets do.

This is the Haaretz.com article on the same story.

Holocaust survivors condemn Israel for ‘Gaza massacre,’ call for boycott
In response to Elie Wiesel advertisement comparing Hamas to Nazis, 327 Jewish Holocaust survivors and descendants publish New York Times ad accusing Israel of ‘ongoing massacre of the Palestinian people.’

haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.612072

A new ceasefire proposal from Egypt may be in the offing. Islamic Jihad has said it supports the idea, which involves re-opening the Rafah crossing into Egypt. Israel has signaled that this is acceptable and will return to the negotiating table, but only if attacks from Gaza stop. Hamas, however, has been silent with regard to the proposal. Rocketing has continued.

Israel’s apparent position was voiced by the Science Minister Yaakov Peri, an observer at the security cabinet and former head of the Shin Bet internal security agency:

[Peri] said if the rocket fire stopped, it was likely talks would resume, although probably not immediately. “I don’t think it will be a matter of a few hours,” he told army radio. “I think this time Israel will try to make sure over several more hours or a day that the ceasefire is holding.”

“If a ceasefire … sticks, there is a good chance that the prime minister will instruct the delegation to return to the talks in Cairo,” he said in a separate interview with public radio. “Generally, we will agree to open the crossings,” he said, referring to Erez and the Kerem Shalom commercial crossing for humanitarian aid, which Israel was “also willing to increase”.

Regarding Gaza’s Rafah crossing with Egypt, “that is a decision for the Egyptians,” although Israel would support the deployment of Palestinian Authority security personnel at the terminal, he said, defining the shape of an initial arrangement. But a more comprehensive deal - with Israel facilitating the reconstruction of Gaza in exchange for its demilitarisation - was “far off”, he said.
channelnewsasia.com/news/world/israel-in-deadly-gaza-air/1329238.html

This is really sad. I hope and pray that peace reigns in that area soon.

Various countries are combining their own draft ceasefire proposals. Three European countries (Britain, France and Germany) wrote a proposal last week. The country of Jordan created a proposal last month. More recently, the US drafted a proposal. Now, the six countries, under the auspices of the United Nations, are working at a joint offer. Israel and the US are indicating a willingness for a Security Council resolution.

in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/25/palestinians-israel-un-idINKBN0GP1XZ20140825

A passenger jet, en route to Tel Aviv, was ordered to circle around as the airport was under missile attack. The missile, a Gazan-made M75, was intercepted by Iron Dome. However, there was concern that Iron Dome might also inadvertently target the plane.

timesofisrael.com/plane-headed-for-tel-aviv-loops-back-as-sirens-wail/

Thank you for the updates.

You are most welcome. I am glad you are still visiting us. I appreciate your perspective.

Thanks! We are helping each other…I translate and communicate to my friends down here what you and other people post in the world news threads so as to have more balanced information and understanding from different angles,and also pray more. That is a win-win!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.