New Heaven? What and Why?

What is the new heaven? I know that after the second coming there will be a new heaven and new earth, I know what the new earth is but I am confused as to what the new heaven is and what the point of it is. Sorry, I’m just very confused.

God creates a new heaven and new earth . The old ones are no longer

New heaven=new universe.

The biblical description “New Heavens and New Earth” just means the entire created order. Don’t think of a dichotomous Heaven vs. Earth. Remember that our depictions of Heaven – even in the Bible – are primarily imagery. Man’s ultimate destiny is communion with God. But we are embodied creatures, and so we are meant to live in a physical reality as well. Think of this final and eternal state as creation transformed into harmony with God.

Whether or not the biblical paradise in Genesis was a literal thing or just symbolic, you can take that imagery as what the Cosmos’ ultimate destiny is — a creation that is united to God.

I’m too lazy to do it myself, but if you Google “New Heavens and New Earth Catechism,” you should find a link to the appropriate Catechism paragraphs.

1043 Sacred Scripture calls this mysterious renewal, which will transform humanity and the world, "new heavens and a new earth."632 It will be the definitive realization of God’s plan to bring under a single head "all things in [Christ], things in heaven and things on earth."633

1044 In this new universe, the heavenly Jerusalem, God will have his dwelling among men.634 "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away."635

1045 For man, this consummation will be the final realization of the unity of the human race, which God willed from creation and of which the pilgrim Church has been "in the nature of sacrament."636 Those who are united with Christ will form the community of the redeemed, “the holy city” of God, "the Bride, the wife of the Lamb."637 She will not be wounded any longer by sin, stains, self-love, that destroy or wound the earthly community.638 The beatific vision, in which God opens himself in an inexhaustible way to the elect, will be the ever-flowing well-spring of happiness, peace, and mutual communion.

1046 For the cosmos, Revelation affirms the profound common destiny of the material world and man:

For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God . . . in hope because the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay. . . . We know that the whole creation has been groaning in travail together until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.639

1047 The visible universe, then, is itself destined to be transformed, “so that the world itself, restored to its original state, facing no further obstacles, should be at the service of the just,” sharing their glorification in the risen Jesus Christ.640

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a12.htm#1043

I’m lazy also so I use this CCC search link, http://scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

After the general resurrection, the resurrected Just have glorified bodies as well as souls. In the first heaven, they dwelt there with souls only. Now a new heaven is needed, as a place fit for body and soul.

Heaven is the unveiled presence and unification of God with His beloved. Just like Jesus is in Heaven, yet still has his glorious resurrected body still intact, so shall we, while dwelling on the new earth.

Does that make sense?

Matthew 24:35 King James Version (KJV)

“Heaven and earth shall pass away,
but my words shall not pass away.”

It’s always puzzled me - how Jesus says - " Heaven - will pass away "

The problem with that interpretation is that both Jesus and Mary are already in heaven with glorified bodies.

The word “heaven” didn’t always refer to the eternal Heaven. Sometimes, it’s just used to refer to the sky above or the air around us.

“These are the generations of the heaven and the earth, when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the heaven and the earth:”
[Genesis 2:4]

“Thus saith the Lord: If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I also will cast away all the seed of Israel, for all that they have done, saith the Lord.”
[Jeremias (Jeremiah) 31:37]

Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the just: let the earth be opened, and bud forth a saviour: and let justice spring up together: I the Lord have created him.”
[Isaias (Isaiah) 45:8]

“Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth.”
[Exodus 20:4]

“For according to the height of the heaven above the earth: he hath strengthened his mercy towards them that fear him.”
[Psalms 102:11]

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.