New here, and really need advice

I’m gonna do my best to keep this short and sweet! My husband was in the military for almost 12 years, absent from home for over 3 of them (in total), and we moved 7 times. We have 3 sons, and when an opportunity came about last spring for him to get out of the military, we prayed about it so long that we almost missed the cut off for applying to get out! We felt God was telling us to take this opportunity so we put our house on the market (in GA), moved half way across the country to MN to (finally!) live near family we’ve long missed, and my husband found a wonderful job he truly enjoys. The problem is, our home in GA has been on the market for over 6 months and we’re struggling to now pay 2 mortgages, and will very soon be over our heads with this. I’ve been praying about this for so long. I felt God was leading us down this road, and I’ve always felt that He wasn’t going to lead us down a path and not take care of all the details. I have faith that this will work out, but right now it’s being tried, and I don’t know if I’m missing something. I keep wondering what else we can do, and I don’t feel like God is giving me a direction with this. And I keep asking for one. What do you do when you feel like you can’t hear God’s voice, and just don’t know what the next step should be?
Thank you,
Wendy

Wendy,

If you have been trying to sell your house for six months without any offers, and you are now struggling and possibly getting behind in the mortgage, you might consider visiting www.995hope.org and contacting them for some counseling on your situation.

There are some loss mitigation options your mortgage company may consider such as a short sale or quick sale-- which avoids foreclosure.

I’ve been in that situation too. You really don’t have a lot of options. You can rent your house in Georgia out, but that is difficult to manage from across the country. The other thing you could look into is the possibility of a short sale. You can ask your mortgage company about that. That would let you lower the price of your home to the point that you wouldn’t be able to pay off the mortgage, but in a situation like yours, the mortgage company might offer you that option rather than have you go into foreclosure. It saves them some money in the long run if that is the other alternative.

That happened to us last year. It’s hard! We finally kept lowering the price to where we made no profit on the house at all–got just enough to pay off the mortgage, even though the house was worth well more than that. I think God was trying to teach us to rely on Him more and not worry about material things and money so much. You may just have to cut your losses and lower the price, even if the house is worth more. Otherwise, call your mortgage company and see if they’ll work out a deal with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.