New Latin Psalms: Confraternity Bible vs. My Daily Psalm Book

I have a Confraternity Bible checked out from the library with the “New Translation of the Psalms from the New Latin Version Approved by Pope Pius XII”. It was published by Catholic Book Publishing Company from New York. I have really enjoyed this version of the psalms, and was looking to find a book with them in it, without having to add another whole Bible to the shelf.

In my searching, I came across a book called “My Daily Psalm Book” by Fr. Joseph Frey, which on the title page scans indicates it would have the “New English Translation of the New Latin Version”, which sounded to me like what I’d be looking for. I wanted to make sure it was the same translation, and since I can’t get it through my library, I went searching for pics. However, as I was searching through some old auction listings and comparing the images from the book to the psalms in the Bible I have checked out, they seem to differ.

Psalm 61:
MDPB Pic: “In God alone is my soul at rest, * from him comes my salvation.”
Conf/P12: “Only in God does my soul rest, from him comes my salvation.”

Psalm 38:
MDPB Pic: “I SAID: I will guard my ways, * lest I sin with my tongue.”
Conf/P12: “I SAID: I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue.”

So, are there more than one English translation of the New Latin Psalter of Pius XII? Or, is there more than one “New Latin” version of the psalms? Is there a book where the Pius XII psalms from the Confraternity Bible are published (not as part of the whole Bible)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There is one Latin version of the Psalms. It was produced by the Pontifical Biblical Institute and first published in Rome in 1945.

There are more than one version of the New Latin Psalms in English.

Some are more poetical than others–some try to be as good English literature stylistically as the King James Psalms are.

That doesn’t mean that the King James Psalms are accurate–just that stylistically they are great English.

My favorite English version of the New Latin Psalms comesa from “The Light of the World” edition of the Catholic bible published in 1854 by World Publishing Company. I can’t remember where that version was first published–it is in a thread about Psalters somewhere around here.

I read all the different English versions of the New Latin Psalms from 1941 to 1955 and I liked those Psalms the best but different people like different ones–it is a matter of taste but I think “The Light of the World” psalms in 1954 are the most elegant and stylistically the best Catholic Psalms I’ve ever read.

How many versions are there? Do Confraternity Bibles with the English translation of the new latin psalms have different versions as well? How is Psalm 22(23) translated in the Light of the World edition (one of my favorites)?

My daily psalm book uses an English translation of the new latin psalms as translated by Augustine Bea. I have the My daily psalm book, the psalms are not arranged in order but in the sequence given in the old Latin breviary, pre-vatican II. I use the book every day to pray the psalms and I find it very good for this purpose.

The psalms in the confraternity bible are probably a translation of the new Latin psalms by a different translator than Augustine bea.

My daily Psalm book psalm 22:

The Lord is my shepherd, I want for nothing, he makes me rest in green pastures.
He leads me to waters where I may rest, he revives my spirit.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk in a dark valley, i will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
Thy rod and thy staff: these comfort me.
Thou settest a table for me in the sight of my enemies.
Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows.
Goodness and Kindness shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I shall dwell in the House of the Lord for a long time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.