New Living Bible?

I have found a copy of the New Living Bible.

I am reading Romans.

In my judgment, it read smoothly.

Is it a sound translation?

I did a quick search, but do not have the time to read all of the stuff.

THANKS

From what I’ve been able to gather,

[LIST]
*] There seems to be a Catholic edition, though it lacks an Imprimatur/Nihil Obstat (apparently it went out of print before this could be obtained, don’t quote me on that)
*] It uses a dynamic translation style

According to this view, it does not matter whether the grammar and word order of the original is preserved in English so long as the meaning of the text is preserved. This frees up the translator to use better English style and word choice, producing more readable translations. In the above example, the dynamic equivalence translators were free to use the more readable expression “have sexual relations with” instead of being forced to reproduce the Hebrew idiom “uncover the nakedness of.”

The disadvantage of dynamic translation is that there is a price to pay for readability. Dynamic translations lose precision because they omit subtle cues to the meaning of a passage that only literal translations preserve. They also run a greater risk of reading the translators’ doctrinal views into the text because of the greater liberty in how to render it.

catholic.com/tracts/bible-translations-guide
*] It seems to be easy reading, perhaps appropriate for devotional reading, but not appropriate at all for study
[/LIST]

It is a more evangelical Protestant version that focuses on the main idea of the text rather than the detail. It reads nicely; I reference it once in a while if I need a verse that’s “pretty”. You can get the general, “Reader’s Digest” version of scripture this way. As said above, it’s not the best for study, and it certainly isn’t always faithful to Church teaching, but I think that’s mostly coincidental to their attempt at “easy to read”, not intentionally anti-Church. Some doctrines of the Church are lost in this translation to the casual reader.

Micosil

That was truly helpful!!!

THANKS!!!

:thumbsup:

I just want to say this is the first Bible I really read, years back, in college, just after a born-again conversion experience. I loved reading this. Before the conversion, I had read Proverbs and Ecclesiastes when I was away working at a mountain inn one summer from this Bible. It was the first time I picked up the Bible, and it was one of my roommates/coworker’s Bible. And I could not stop reading it. And later in college when I suddenly wanted to know Jesus better, I began to read more of it, and I found it very easy reading. It truly blessed me. So if it works for you, go for it. Its not the ideal study Bible since the translation is a rather rough. Also not that *best *for memorization, though, at the time I read and reread it I found myself memorizing lots of the verses. But sometimes best is not whats important; its what inspires. I now prefer the King James or the Douay Rheims, which are very good translations, beautiful use of the English language, and I find it preferable for memorizing. But the New Living Bible will always have a special place in my heart.

THANKS!

I am OP.

I’ve been looking for a translation to give to my protestant dad. I just checked this out and i actually like the way that Matt 16:18-19 reads:

18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’),[a] and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell** will not conquer it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid[c] on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit[d] on earth will be permitted in heaven.”

It seems pretty catholic friendly**

The particular one that I looked at had very few foot notes. It just mentioned the Greek word that was translated

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.