New LOTH Revisions Approved!

Read here and jump for joy!

The USCCB approved revisions to the current LOTH, including implementing the Roman Missal 3rd edition (collects is my guess), 2nd edition Grail Psalms and Canticles, and some other updates being done with ICEL. Apparently the only thing off the table (as of now) is the 2nd Reading (non-biblical readings) from the Office of Reading.

So, any thoughts? This seems to be a really good start.

[quote="curlycool89, post:1, topic:305272"]

The USCCB approved revisions to the current LOTH, including implementing the Roman Missal 3rd edition (collects is my guess), 2nd edition Grail Psalms and Canticles, and some other updates being done with ICEL. Apparently the only thing off the table (as of now) is the 2nd Reading (non-biblical readings) from the Office of Reading.

[/quote]

Yay! The antiphons would also need to be done (unless I missed something) in addition to the OOR reading, but that's pretty small overall.

[quote="curlycool89, post:1, topic:305272"]

[/quote]

They did not approve revisions but approved revising the current LOTH. This means they can begin the work. I know I am arguing semantics but some people might get the idea that a new LOTH has been approved and will be out soon. I am guessing that this work will take a number of years although not as long as the Missal took. This revision also will only be for the United States and will not be a universal revision as with the Missal. I am wondering if they will keep the psalm prayers as these are not universal, in fact our bishop doesn't even use them when we have communal praying of the hours on occasions.

[quote="Joannm, post:3, topic:305272"]
They did not approve revisions but approved revising the current LOTH. This means they can begin the work. I know I am arguing semantics but some people might get the idea that a new LOTH has been approved and will be out soon. I am guessing that this work will take a number of years although not as long as the Missal took. This revision also will only be for the United States and will not be a universal revision as with the Missal. I am wondering if they will keep the psalm prayers as these are not universal, in fact our bishop doesn't even use them when we have communal praying of the hours on occasions.

[/quote]

The psalm prayers aren't even in the French LOTH I use but they are in the French monastic breviary used by the abbey I'm affiliated with. They never use them (they use Latin for Lauds and Vespers).

Do I need to buy another 4 volume set? :)

Eventually, yes.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:6, topic:305272"]
Eventually, yes.

[/quote]

Ouch! Gonna have to petition my pastor for a second collection one week. :)

[quote="Joannm, post:3, topic:305272"]

[/quote]

Well, I'm hoping the Canadian bishops will simply snatch it up as is once approved.

I would say you will have at least 5 years before you have to do that.

My Gregorian Missal was published in 1985 by the indefatigable monks of Solesmes. In the preface it is mentioned that a Latin antiphonary for chanting Vespers of Sundays and Solemnities in Gregorian chant was being prepared and would be ready “soon”.

The first volume of the Antiphonale Romanum, for Vespers of Sundays, solemnities and feasts was published in February 2010.

Five years of Vatican time is their equivalent of a nanosecond.

Still a long way away. You could learn Latin and start praying the Liturgia Horarum by the time the next revisions receive recognitio and are finally printed and distributed. ;)

By the way, it looks like the tacky tripe that passes for hymns in the current version is now being excised in favor of actual translations!

[quote="Joannm, post:9, topic:305272"]
I would say you will have at least 5 years before you have to do that.

[/quote]

I'm hoping for 5 and expecting 10. That way if it comes out in 7 or 8 years, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

[quote="OraLabora, post:10, topic:305272"]
My Gregorian Missal was published in 1985 by the indefatigable monks of Solesmes. In the preface it is mentioned that a Latin antiphonary for chanting Vespers of Sundays and Solemnities in Gregorian chant was being prepared and would be ready "soon".

The first volume of the Antiphonale Romanum, for Vespers of Sundays, solemnities and feasts was published in February 2010.

Five years of Vatican time is their equivalent of a nanosecond.

[/quote]

WOW! I've been looking for older hard to find Gregorian Chant in CD or DVD done by the Solesmes monks in France. I think the Solesmes monks puts the greatest quality of Gregorian Music in the world as far as Catholic circles are concerned.

I already own an old set of LOTH with both Latin and vernacular English
Another set published in 1958 by the Solesmes En français

[quote="superamazingman, post:12, topic:305272"]
By the way, it looks like the tacky tripe that passes for hymns in the current version is now being excised in favor of actual translations!

[/quote]

I wish they'd do that for the French LoTH. Meanwhile there's the Latin Liber Hymnarius available from Solesmes. There's also a Latin-French version. However French doesn't lend itself well to any but the simplest Gregorian melodies, and then only the octosyllabic dimeters.

I seem to remember hearing something like 3-5 years. We have discussed this in several threads in the last year or so.

Basically, the "heavy lifting" is already done.

1) The Revised Grail Psalter is already done.
2) The collects for most of the Proper of Saints and Proper of Seasons is complete with the new English mass translation.
3) The biblical and non-biblical readings in the Office of Readings and the rest of the Office will probably not change.

What may require more translating or reworking to satisfy the norms of Liturgiam Authenticam:
1) The basic dialogues, etc. of the Ordinary.
2) The closing prayers for the 4 week Psalter (outside of special seasons)
3) The intercessions
4) Potentially, the Benedictus, Magnificat, Nunc Dimittus, and Te Deum
5) Psalm-prayers
6) Responsories

As you can see, the remaining work to be done, while still substantial, is less than one might have thought.

Hopefully we will also get better hymns. I personally use the latin hymns in Liber Hymnarius about 95% of the time.

[quote="drforjc, post:16, topic:305272"]

Hopefully we will also get better hymns. I personally use the latin hymns in Liber Hymnarius about 95% of the time.

[/quote]

That's what I use for the hymns unless I'm reciting away from home (at the office, while traveling, etc.)

At home, I use "Les Heures Grégoriennes", a Latin-French diurnal antiphonary published by the community of St. Martin in France. It's noted for Gregorian chant, and the hymns are from the Liber Hymnarius (the community received help from Solesmes to produce it). It's in 3 volumes (Advent-Christmas-Ordinary Time, Lent and Eastertide, and Sanctoral). There is no OOR. I chant Lauds and Vespers in Latin, mid-day hour (and Terce and None too) in Latin when I work from home (2 days/wk), and the OOR I chant recto-tono in French with the hymn from Liber Hymnarius. Compline I either chant in French (weekdays) or Latin (Sundays) when I can, otherwise when I'm too tired (most of the week!) I recite it in bed before going to sleep, in French.

At work I recite Terce, Sext (mid-day prayer) and None in French with the hymn in LOTH, which are on an octosyllabic dimeter.

[quote="OraLabora, post:17, topic:305272"]
That's what I use for the hymns unless I'm reciting away from home (at the office, while traveling, etc.)

[/quote]

Yes, the Liber Hymnalis is a blessing for those of us who wince when hymns composed by Martin Luther show up in the Catholic English LOTH. I'd rather sing the Roman chants for the Roman Office than hymns composed by a man who said:

"When I (the Pope-***) bray, hee-haw, hee-haw, or relieve myself in the way of nature, they must take it all as articles of faith, i.e. Catholics."

“...the devil and his retinue, pope and papists, are so sincerely hostile to me...Let them go to hell, they have deserved it!”

“I feel much freer now that I am certain the pope is the Antichrist”.

How the hymns composed by such a man can find their way into our CATHOLIC prayerbooks and pew hymnals is beyond me.

I'd rather sing songs that Catholics have composed and have heard for over a millennium.

Yes, what a shame that we use something written by a sinner. Let's have a new rule: impeccable authors only from now on.

[quote="Windmill, post:18, topic:305272"]
Yes, the Liber Hymnalis is a blessing for those of us who wince when hymns composed by Martin Luther show up in the Catholic English LOTH. I'd rather sing the Roman chants for the Roman Office than hymns composed by a man who said:

How the hymns composed by such a man can find their way into our CATHOLIC prayerbooks and pew hymnals is beyond me.

I'd rather sing songs that Catholics have composed and have heard for over a millennium.

[/quote]

1 Thes 5:21.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.