New Lutheran forum

For anyone that is interested there is a new Lutheran Forum.
lutheranforums.com/forum/index.php

Rhonda

I don’t want to be insulting but there isn’t any action on the board.

It was just started yesterday.

When this board was started it didn’t take any time to get some good conversations going. Perhaps one needs to advertise.

Maybe you can also ask our Lutheran friends over there to visit the Catholic Answers forums as well.

Gerry :slight_smile:

I will mention it. I know a few of them have been on this forum and some belong to a different Catholic forum. I believe there is one that is defending the faith.

I just checked out lutheranforums.com. As of right now (2/3/05) there are 18 fora. The most active one is one entitled “Our neighbors faiths” and has almost as many posts as the remaining 17 fora combined. The most popular topics include the following:

Peter and the Papacy
Virginity of Mary
Apostolic Succession
The Virgin Mary
The Eucharist
The Lord’s Supper
Saints

and one topic which might explain why these are the most popular:

Are Roman Catholics our only neighbors with faith?

I tried tell them the Lutheran church was a dieing church but they wouldn’t believe me.

There are two major forces in american christianity right now evangelials and catholics.
Lutherans and the rest of the denoms have become increasingly irrelevant. Sorry but its the truth in the right to life marches who do I see catholic and evangeliclas. You see a Lutheran or Episcopalian at such an event its more of the exception than the norm. Not to say there aren’t any devoted to their particular denom but in comparison to the Evangelical and Catholic adherents there numbers are small and not as enthusiastic. Of course you Lutherans who post here are the exception if you were the norm you would have a Lutheran board wouldn’t you?

I think most of that board was designed to talk about the catholic church. They don’t talk about much else. Lutherans would not exist except for to protest the catholic church.
In many ways they are closer to us than evangelicals yet their gripe is with us and not evangelicals. Hmm perhaps they know the truth which they protesteth.
Lutherans better hope the catholic church remais strong or else they would have no membership their sole purpose for existance is to protest Rome.

[quote=Maccabees]I tried tell them the Lutheran church was a dieing church but they wouldn’t believe me.

There are two major forces in american christianity right now evangelials and catholics.
Lutherans and the rest of the denoms have become increasingly irrelevant. Sorry but its the truth in the right to life marches who do I see catholic and evangeliclas. You see a Lutheran or Episcopalian at such an event its more of the exception than the norm. Not to say there aren’t any devoted to their particular denom but in comparison to the Evangelical and Catholic adherents there numbers are small and not as enthusiastic. Of course you Lutherans who post here are the exception if you were the norm you would have a Lutheran board wouldn’t you?

I think most of that board was designed to talk about the catholic church. They don’t talk about much else. Lutherans would not exist except for to protest the catholic church.
In many ways they are closer to us than evangelicals yet their gripe is with us and not evangelicals. Hmm perhaps they know the truth which they protesteth.
Lutherans better hope the catholic church remais strong or else they would have no membership their sole purpose for existance is to protest Rome.
[/quote]

At my Lutheran Church (LCMS) we might say Catholic about three times a year. Reformation Sunday and maybe in a couple of sermons but that is it. You make it sound like there are tons of meetings every year to get those darned ol’ Catholics.

Your point about Lutherans slowly dieing is much more accurate. We aren’t losing tons of members to Catholocism, but to other “fancier” protestant churches. We actually aren’t losing members, we just aren’t growing. It has been flat over the last couple of decades.

Lutherans are liturgical and theological, we have catechisms and indepth theological bible study. Presbyterians and other protestants that can trace their confessions back to reformation times are some of the only protestants that have really good theological scholarship. They follow liturgy and creeds because we are reformers not rebels.

See www.modernreformation.org

We are aghast as Catholics about the current theological trends of modern American Churches.

I am talking about the Lutheran board that was posted and some of the more anti-catholic Lutherans that come on catholic forums. But that doesn’t describe all Lutherans here and certainly not in most Lutheran sermons they have bigger fish to fry that the RC these days.

But I do think the WELS Lutherans mention us very often.
Those dudes thinkt its 1517 or something. THey are rabid anti-catholics from the puplit kinda like the Bob Jones crowd.

Catholics and Lutherans have far more in common than we have with the non denom evangelicals like I said we have bigger fish to fry.

I don’t know the the preoccupation of some Lutherans with the catholic church but its there.

I was actually raised Lutheran(ELCA). I became a convert about 7 years ago. I have nothing but great memories of my Lutheran upbringing. Naturally there was some Catholic bashing, nothing severe, but what church doesn’t bash Catholics. It wasn’t a genuine hatred. What really got me was the fact that Jesus left an authoritative church and promised the gates of hell would not prevail against it. He didn’t say it wouldn’t be attacked by the gates of hell. For me to be anything but a Catholic would be to trust in my own judgement and not the promise Jesus made. Once this was drilled into my head I became teachable. I am now the only Catholic in my family. My ancestors that came over from Norway and Sweded were all Lutherans. I would encourage Lutherans to dig into the history of the Lutheran church. Is the Lutheran church today the one Luther had pictured? Why did the Reformation start in the first place? Why are there so many denominations of Lutheran Churches(ELCA,WELS, Missouri Synod)? Why did Luther say the Rosary every day? Ask yourself these questions and search for the answers. Don’t just get one viewpoint but the views of both sides. Remember what Christ promised.

I agree if it was just Lutherans and Catholics at least we would know what the debate is about.

WELS are nuts from what I have read. They are essentially fundamentalist. If you go to their website and read the FAQs they believe that just about everyone but them is doomed for hell.

The LCMS is at a crossroads right now, (the last one was in the 1970s). There is a strain of legalists looking for power. It’s possible but unlikely that there could be another split in the LCMS.

I might become Catholic at that point. :wink:

I think it was Father Richard John Neuhaus, himself a convert from Lutheranism, who wuld recollect his Lutheran Seminary teacher stating that Lutherans need to ask themselves everyday why they are not Catholic. His point was is that Lutheranism is defined as much as an opposing force against Catholicism as it is a proponent of the Gospel. Once the Lutheran can no longer answer with conviction why he is a Lutheran, he needs to find a new place to hang his hat. The raison d’etre of the Lutheran Church was to oppose what Luther saw as papal corruption. This is probably why the Lutheran board talking about “our neighbors” is focused on the Catholic Church and not the other Protestant bodies. That’s my :twocents: anyway.

[quote=Maccabees]I tried tell them the Lutheran church was a dieing church but they wouldn’t believe me.
[/quote]

You really are unbelievable. Did you go to school somewhere to learn how to be rude and insulting?

[quote=Maccabees] There are two major forces in american christianity right now evangelials and catholics.
Lutherans and the rest of the denoms have become increasingly irrelevant.
[/quote]

Being “relevant” is a foolish bit of idolatry. I’m always disappointed when Catholics stoop to that particular tawdry slogan. Who wants to be relevant? The point is to be faithful.

Besides, you speak as if “evangelicals” were some monolithic bloc over against Lutherans and other mainline churches. The reality is quite different–there are evangelicals in all the mainline churches, which is one of the main reasons those churches are not dying as fast as you would like.

In Christ,

Edwin

[quote=INRI]I think it was Father Richard John Neuhaus, himself a convert from Lutheranism, who wuld recollect his Lutheran Seminary teacher stating that Lutherans need to ask themselves everyday why they are not Catholic. His point was is that Lutheranism is defined as much as an opposing force against Catholicism as it is a proponent of the Gospel. Once the Lutheran can no longer answer with conviction why he is a Lutheran, he needs to find a new place to hang his hat. The raison d’etre of the Lutheran Church was to oppose what Luther saw as papal corruption. This is probably why the Lutheran board talking about “our neighbors” is focused on the Catholic Church and not the other Protestant bodies. That’s my :twocents: anyway.
[/quote]

In a way that is true. Lutherans don’t want anything to obscure the gospel. The RCC is doing a better job about promoting the gospel, especially JP2.

Peter Kreeft wondered why God allowed the divide to remain between protestants and catholics. His conclusion was that the RCC needs to preach the gospel as well as protestants. When that happens the divide will probably go away. I agree.

So in a way you could say that the Lutherans might have done their “job.” Refocusing the RCC church on the gospel, I don’t think the RCC will ever be as corrupt as it was in Luther’s time. Also the RCC is become more gospel oriented as more protestants join the church. (I realize on paper it was, but in practice it hasn’t been at times.)

Are there any topics about Luther himself? :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll visit as soon as I can.

INRI wrote: The raison d’etre of the Lutheran Church was to oppose what Luther saw as papal corruption.

That was true in the initial stages of Luther’s revolt, but he was soon protesting not behavior and not corruption but doctrine. In fact, he unintentionally gave Protestantism the mechanism for denying his own Lutheran doctrines and shattering itself like Humpty Dumpty: Sola Scriptura. The “three pillars of Protestantism” were Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, and Sola Gratia, all inventions of Luther. So he wasn’t reforming the Church. He abandoned Apostolic Christianity and redefined the Christian religion to suit himself. And thousands of redefinitions by thousands of denominations later, the beat goes on.

JMJ Jay

[quote=Psalm89]In a way that is true. Lutherans don’t want anything to obscure the gospel. The RCC is doing a better job about promoting the gospel, especially JP2.

Peter Kreeft wondered why God allowed the divide to remain between protestants and catholics. His conclusion was that the RCC needs to preach the gospel as well as protestants. When that happens the divide will probably go away. I agree.

So in a way you could say that the Lutherans might have done their “job.” Refocusing the RCC church on the gospel, I don’t think the RCC will ever be as corrupt as it was in Luther’s time. Also the RCC is become more gospel oriented as more protestants join the church. (I realize on paper it was, but in practice it hasn’t been at times.)
[/quote]

I would have to agree. You don’t have to spend long on these message boards to find good, faithful Catholics who are fed up with limp-wristed preaching from the pulpit, confusing and inarticulate documents coming out of the US Bishops conferences, liturgical abuses, and lukewarm catechesis. It does seem that many of our best apologists are former Protestant pastors. While I disagree with what Luther did, it is true that the Church in the early 16th century needed reform. Just look up “Alexander VI” in any Church history. Thankfully, the pendulum is swinging back with more bishops who are faithful to JP II’s vision. We still need a few years yet to clean out the debris of the 60’s through 80’s, but it is happening bit by bit. May we pray for that day when all Christians can pray as ONE body yet again.

P.S. I know that Lutherans share one other thing with Catholics. As one of my favorite priest put it, “If you’re driving down the road and you seem some architectural monstrosity with a cross on the top, it’s probably Catholic or Lutheran.”:smiley:

[quote=Katholikos]Are there any topics about Luther himself? :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll visit as soon as I can.]

Yes, there are quite a few topics on Luther himself as well as a log of his works.

Rhonda
[/quote]

[quote=Contarini]You really are unbelievable. Did you go to school somewhere to learn how to be rude and insulting?

Being “relevant” is a foolish bit of idolatry. I’m always disappointed when Catholics stoop to that particular tawdry slogan. Who wants to be relevant? The point is to be faithful.

Besides, you speak as if “evangelicals” were some monolithic bloc over against Lutherans and other mainline churches. The reality is quite different–there are evangelicals in all the mainline churches, which is one of the main reasons those churches are not dying as fast as you would like.

In Christ,

Edwin
[/quote]

The numbers say otherwise the Lutheran denom is dying out and shrinking in numbers its one of the fastest shrinking denominations. Jesus wanted his church to be releveant to be shining city on a hill so that other might beleive. And most evangelicals join lower church denoms like the Baptist and Assemblies of God or join a non -denom. Sorry the traditional mainline denoms are in decline. Don’t shoot the messenger I am reporting reality. Maybe if you tired evangelizing instead of attacking facts your church would be growing instead of being irrelevant.

[quote=Katholikos]Are there any topics about Luther himself? :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll visit as soon as I can.

That was true in the initial stages of Luther’s revolt, but he was soon protesting not behavior and not corruption but doctrine. In fact, he unintentionally gave Protestantism the mechanism for denying his own Lutheran doctrines and shattering itself like Humpty Dumpty: Sola Scriptura. The “three pillars of Protestantism” were Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, and Sola Gratia, all inventions of Luther. So he wasn’t reforming the Church. He abandoned Apostolic Christianity and redefined the Christian religion to suit himself. And thousands of redefinitions by thousands of denominations later, the beat goes on.

JMJ Jay
[/quote]

You speak the truth that Luther lovers don’t like to hear.
Luther provided the formula for futher denominations and thousands of denominations later here we are even more confused.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.