New Missal = New Rosary?

Since the Apostles’ Creed is changing in the new Missal, should the new version of the Apostles’ Creed be said in the beginning of it, or can the old one be used still? If not, when should the new one be used? Also, what will happen to prayer groups etc who pray the rosary, are they requried to use the new Apostles’ Creed version?

Not sure, yet the Rosary Mass hasn’t changed anything as of this past Monday Night.

That comes out in Feb. right?

The translation of the Mass text really has nothing to do with the Rosary which is a private devotion. You can say whatever translation of the Apostles Creed that you are used to. Probably most people will continue to use the current text since the Apostles Creed isn’t really used at Mass much, although with the revised text it will be allowed to be said in lieu of the Nicene Creed at the choice of the priest.

When reading the OP I was thinking that the Apostles Creed we use at Mass now is the one that was used for the rosary before there was the OF. Rather than being a case of using the Mass version for the Rosary, it’s been a case of using the Rosary version for the Mass.

As for frequency of use of the Apostles Creed at Mass, that depends on the country in which you live. In Canada we have an indult to use it at any and all Masses and, in my experience, it’s the most widely used, with the Nicene recommended for March 25 & December 25. We recited the Nicene in my parish at Christmas and it was the first time I remember it used in at least 10 years.

I’ve looked at the translation online. It was actually very near the version I was introduced to first (the current Apostle’s Creed feels awkward), the only difference being the archaic language has been replaced.

It is true the rosary is a private devotion and we can say the apostles creed how we want. I am guessing most people will continue to say the creed the old way in a rosary, as most masses have the Nicene Creed and that is already different from the apostles creed said in the rosary.

Either way is fine. Most people pray the version of the Apostles Creed that they learned, or whatever one happens to be printed in the booklets or pamphlets used by any given organization (say, for example if the parish or the KofC puts pamphlets in the pews). Even now, people are using different versions when praying the rosary in groups.

No, prayer groups are not “required” to use any particular version.

Might it be a good thing for groups to use the same translation that’s used in the Mass? Yes, it would be good for consistency, but by no means required.

Does anyone have that link to the new Roman Missal? I’d love to read it.

Also, what changed in the translation of the Apostle’s Creed? I think most Lutherans have been using the same translation the Roman Catholics have been using.

Pax

I know people now who pray a variety of forms for other rosary prayers – *Thee *vs You, *Thy *vs Your, *art *vs are, *Holy Ghost *vs Holy Spirit, et cetera. I cannot think why various translations of the Creed would be treated any differently. :shrug:

:twocents:
tee

It’s here

usccb.org/romanmissal/

The Apostles Creed is here

usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml
(scroll down a bit)

Here’s the website for the New Translation.

usccb.org/romanmissal/

With all the people’s changed parts:

usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml

Specifically, the creed:
usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml#apostles

Old:
I believe in God,
the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ,
his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by
the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again.

He ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand
of the Father.
He will come again to judge
the living and the dead.

New:
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,

and in Jesus Christ,
his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by
the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again
from the dead;

he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge
the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.