"New Moon"

Hi everybody,

Anyone seen the movie "New Moon"? Please share your thoughts, positive or negative.

thanks!:)

I saw it last Saturday and really enjoyed it.

Anything that has teens biting each other cannot be worthwhile... (and that IS what is going on in nearby Jr and Sr High Schools :eek:)

My daughter and I went and saw this week. Really liked it, not as much detail as the books but movies never can. They did a good job.

Oh and Kage no teenagers bit anyone in the the New Moon movie.

Without my niece begging for someone to take her, and me being the only one who could last night, I would not have seen it at all...

However, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good it was, and I could appreciate some of the symbolism that is present. You take Bella asking Edward to bite her (thus turning her into a vampire), and substitute sex, and his refusal to do so until they were married (which would be forever, his words), I think this movie has a positive message about chastity, waiting until marriage to have sex, and the "foreverness" of marriage. The whole vampire thing still does creep me out, and I hope there are other similar series or books that come out that isn't in the whole vampire genre. But perhaps this will be a good starting point for parents to talk to their children about how sex is a gift, and one that needs to be used appropriately and wisely.

I saw it, as I read the books and liked them (albeit the writing isn't the greatest). I thought the Twilight movie was pretty good, but I was honestly disappointed with New Moon. Sure it followed the book, but it didn't flow well and some of the acting was horrid! Taylor Lautner who played Jacob Black did a phenomenal job, but nobody else really did, except some of the Vulturi.

It feels like now that it is this big movie franchise, they ( Summit ) threw it together very quickly to make some fast cash. I have to say I like the last director better than this one. Maybe Eclipse will be better.

I am sure I will still watch it again on DVD to see if I like it better.

[quote="rayne89, post:4, topic:177905"]

Oh and Kage no teenagers bit anyone in the the New Moon movie.

[/quote]

Yet the teens who are so into the Twilight craze ARE biting each other IRL. It is happening in my town.

I took 8 12 year old girls to see it for my daughter's birthday on Friday night.

I read the books before I let my kids read them (we've only read the first two) and they enjoyed them.

I do have to say that this was probably the worst acting I have seen in a long time. SOOOO bad.

Steph

Are the movies better than the book?

I've only read the first one and had to really force myself to get through it it was so bad, so boring, so flat, so wordy in a very bad way, and the characters so uninteresting. Why do Bella and Edward "love" each other?? :confused:I think I'd rather read James Joyce in pig latin. I'd at least be able to stay awake.

I can't imagine the movies being good but maybe I'm missing something?:confused:

[quote="kage_ar, post:7, topic:177905"]
Yet the teens who are so into the Twilight craze ARE biting each other IRL. It is happening in my town.

[/quote]

Oh my.:eek: My daughter hasn't mentioned anything like that going on in her circle of people.

Since it looks to me like there are a lot of mothers taking daughters to see the movie or just adults taking kids, please take a moment to listen to this:

lifeteen.com/default.aspx?PageID=PODCASTS2 (If the review for New Moon doesn’t start right away, click on it)

“Good head on your shoulders.” That really stands out to me. I look at my little sister’s girlfriends in her 5fth grade class going bonkers over this and it gets me thinking, “Do they have good heads on their shoulders?” I think not…let’s just tread carefully.

Peace&blessings

Ummm. I haven't seen the movies or read the books, but I have read abou them - and for many, many years I was a devotee of fantasy stories, including many different vampire stories. I have a very good working knowledge of the history and evolution of the vampire genre. I have abandoned watching these kinds of movies for very good reason.

I urge you in the strongest possible terms to avoid these movies. I'll explain why below.

In these "Twilight" stories we are talking about an intimiate relationship of a living girl with a vampire, regardless of whether or not that relationship is chaste. However, chastity is a nice way of putting some icing on what is pretty dark here. So is Edward's refusal to drink the blood of humans.

No matter how you define vampires in a particular fantasy world, they all have some common properties. The biggest one is undeath. A state of "immortality" that is somehow conntected to being neither dead nor alive. The classical view of a vampire (Braham Stoker) is that the vampire is the personification of evil on earth (the prince of darkness), and Satan is where the vampire gets his powers. In another genre, the first vampire was Cain (as in the guy who murdered Abel). Other genres have other stories regarding the origin and nature of vampires.

They all have one thing in common. Vampires are undead. (Hence, Edward's rather gray pall to show that his is not really alive). They also have a *tendency *towards reveling in the darkest forms of evil, regardless whether or not there is a rare "hero" vampire that has some inkling of morality. After all, Edward has to fight his urges.

Undeath contradicts directly the resurrected, glorified body that Christ intends for us on the last day. You are also looking at a choice that excludes God by its nature, because the vampire is neither dead nor alive, and God is the God of the living, not of the dead. Christ Himself said so.

Becoming a vampire is much more than some lifestyle choice. It is a choice to accept a reality other than God, and that conclusion is unavoidable because of the basic nature of vampires - undeath - no matter how you sugar coat their darkness with tales of castity and self denial.

Ironically, the addition of chastity and self denial make these movies much worse than the original vampire movies. Dracula was at least repulsive and clearly evil, and the hero was there to fight him and defeat him. Now, vampires have become objects of pity, poor tortured creatures who should be accepted - especially when they try hard - and the very heroes we are supposed to root for.

"Tolerance" is the watchword in Hollywood. However, tolerance by itself is not a virtue (you don't tolerate child molesters, for example). Now, "tolerance" is being used to force people to accept all kinds of evils. Now this notion of tolerance is finding itself into even the darkest forms of evil - such as a choice to accept vampirism over the Gospel of Life.

This type movie is the work of the Devil, who constantly tries to twist the Truth around by using virtues like chastity and self denial to mask a dark evil of directly being away from God. This being away from God is implicit to the nature of vampirism - and whether or not the movies hides this state (or don't address it) is irrelevant, because nothing can change the fact that vampires are antithetical to God.

What I'm trying to say is, the movies use the virtues of chastity and self-denial to mask the most direct and darkest evil of all - being separated from God. If that is not the work of the Father of Lies, I don't know what is.

Sadly, these movies are especially appealing to girls, who buy into the false sense of romance and love. I believe the Devil is using these movies to sublty tempt many young women away from God. Oh, not all at once, but subtly and slowly.

At its core, a choice for vamprisim is the choice of self, and perceived emotions of romance, over the love God - regardless of other virtues that might appear to be present.

Some fantasy stories posit that vamprism can be inflicted, not chosen. However, the very nature of undeath is antithetical to the God of the living, so the vampire is still evil. I would imagine that the true soul of the unwilling victim would go to its judgement, and the body that is left is just a housing for an evil spirit that replaced the soul. This is becasue God does not granty any power to the evil forces over our souls. It is a matter of dogma and divine Truth that we choose for ourselves whether to accept and obey God, or to go to the eternal separation from God that is the very definition of Hell.

So, even if vamprism is inflicted, the very subject matter deals with the darkest of evils. I urge everyone NOT to see this movie, to abandon the series, not read the books, and rather spend that time contemplating the Truth of the Blessed Sacrament - and to encourage others to do the same.

God Bless,

Saw it, loved it, and my soul is not anymore satanic from seeing it…

I have to say, the Twilight series is cleaner than listening to Nickelback :D.

It’s fiction. It’s no worse than the old fairy tales (many of which were quite gruesome). And vampires are not real. People can change the stories in anyway they want to.

Fear is not the way to holiness. If it offends your soul, don’t see it. But things in and of themselves are not evil, it’s how we use them that makes them evil. Some Catholics probably shouldn’t see Twilight if they find it a stumbling block. However, that does not automatically apply to the entire Church.

I am not opposed based on fear, I think that well grounded adolsecents and adults can read and enjoy novels that deal with the mythical.

The problem here is it seems no one is vetting these books and moveis before they allow the adolescents and teens to read/watch them. They are letting unstable and impressionable children read them, these kids then think that it is romantic to bite each other until blood is drawn! I'm not dreaming this up, it is happening in small town USA.

Fear is not the way to holiness. If it offends your soul, don’t see it. But things in and of themselves are not evil, it’s how we use them that makes them evil. Some Catholics probably shouldn’t see Twilight if they find it a stumbling block. However, that does not automatically apply to the entire Church.

It’s not a question of fear, it’s a question of content and right judgement. When you say “things in and of themselves are not evil,” what do you mean? Physical objects? Physical objects are not evil in and of themselves.

However, ideas can very much be evil in and of themselves and apply to the whole Church. The idea of the vampire relates to the deepest darkness by the very nature of the vampire. Relating to a vampire in any relationship other than outright opposition is like courting the darkness. Romanticizing the vampire is gravely wrong by it’s very nature.

There’s a reason why Anne Rice (one of the most famous vampire story writers) abandoned telling stories about vampires and reverted to the Catholic faith. Here is some quotes from her:

In 2002, I consecrated my work to Jesus Christ. This did not involve a denunciation of works that reflected the journey. It was rather a statement that from then on I would write directly for Jesus Christ. I would write works about salvation, as opposed to alienation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Rice

“I will never write those kind of books again – never,”

beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2005/11/Anne-Rice-Stations-On-A-Journey.aspx?p=1

While Anne did not denounce her earlier works, she did admit that fundamentally she was writing about alienation, about a world without redemption - which is intrinsic to the story of the undead vampire.

Anne found that she could not both be dedicated to Christ and also involve herself in the fantasy world of vampires - even though vampires are not real.

So, yes, getting into that kind of genre is objectively not good, at least where romanticization of the vampire is involved or where there is no salvation nor victory of true good over evil (not just one undead vampire over a worse vampire).

The Church has not issued a Magisterial declaration reqarding the Twilight series - and I doubt it will. However, judgement and right reason indicate that dwelling on these stories is not good and can be the occasion for starting a line of romantic thinking about evil that is not good.

Why spend time on New Moon when we could be building up the Kingdom?

I am not opposed based on fear, I think that well grounded adolsecents and adults can read and enjoy novels that deal with the mythical.

I would go a step further. It's not just the mythical, but what the mythos is trying to convey.

The Harry Potter series is a confict of life versus death, good versus evil, and there's a hint of conflict of the living versus the unliving (Lord Voldemort is not really alive in the normal sense of the term). Magic is a "force" to be manipulated (like science manipulates electromagnetism), rather than challing power from some entity. It's a shame that Harry Potter doesn't involve Christ, but at least this series is about sacrificial love that specifically avoids romanticising things that are inherently evil - like vampires.

A child should be old enough to grasp the moral implications of what is happening in Harry Potter, so I wouldn't recommend it except for older adolescents.

Lord of the Rings is another good example of worthwhile mythical reading. Again, there is sacrificial love and the story is intrinsically about opposition to a clear evil.

Twilight is not good because it involves the romanticization of things that are outright, objectively evil. The hero is a vampire, and the heroine his beau.

Other recent vampire movies (the Underworld series, which I have seen) are also not good because the romanticize the "anti-hero" vampire and glorify violence over redemption.

Dracula at least has the idea that the vampire is intrinsically evil and is to be opposed at every turn. I might recommend this story for adult readers because of the message the author is trying to convey.

The only harm I can see in the Twilight series is it may give girls a false sense of what romance is or should be but so would Romeo and Juliet. The “I’ll die without you” theme is as old as the hills but not realistic. If girls set Edward up as their idol then they are doomed to disappointment and the obsessive way the characters tend to view each other is also a little unhealthy but as long as you don’t take the stories too seriously I don’t see a problem. I would talk with my daughter, niece, or any young lady and stress these points before allowing them to see the movie or read the books. Also due to the content of the books I wouldn’t recommend them to any girls under twelve…just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Totally agree. This was my main problem with the books too. I found Bella to be a really weak character and not someone I would want my daughter to look up to.

[quote="Sina, post:18, topic:177905"]
Totally agree. This was my main problem with the books too. I found Bella to be a really weak character and not someone I would want my daughter to look up to.

[/quote]

Same here. The fact that controlling Edward, who stalks Bella and watches her sleep, is portrayed as being the "perfect guy" is also disturbing.

However, I really enjoyed the movie, probably because it was mostly about Jacob :p.

I confess to feeling at a loss.

Folks here already see Edward as controlling and stalking, watching Bella as she sleeps, and doing other stuff. He exposes her to mortal danger because of his own enemies. If he loved her, he would end the relationship to prevent her from being attacked by things that go bump in the night.

Even at a human level, the relationship is not good.

Add the deep evil darkness of undeath to the mixture.

What is there to like? What is the allure of all this badness? Is it the misplaced nod to chastity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.