New movie: priest

imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1116145945/

looks kinda stupid epically knowing the fact that it takes a catholic word Priest and makes their own definition of it.

They have women priest

they have no normal outfits of priest today

strange cross tattoo on their head

i think Catholics should stay away from this movie.

The first thing I noticed was that it takes place in the future. So really, it's more of a sci-fi film. It should be said that the word priest is not reserved only for Catholics (Episcopalians/Anglicans use it, as well as many early religions). From what I've seen, I don't think that the filmmakers were thinking, "This is the way the real life Church is let's portray that." The way many storytellers and filmmakers get their ideas is by asking, "Suppose..." I think what they were trying to say is, "Suppose in the very distant future (look at the technology) the Church is hijacked and became this unrecognizable other religion..."

I don't know, as a writer myself, that would seem like an interesting story I'd like to write.

This seems like one of those movies that to get a true sense of it you need to watch it. Remember, a trailer is 2 and a half minutes long out of a 2 hour movie. I don't expect them to tell me much in the trailer. I didn't even know by watching it that he needs to save his niece. All I know: future, weird futuristic church, a priest, vampires, lots of action. That doesn't tell me much. I think if we draw conclusions based on the trailers, we could be missing a lot. We are going to be missing a lot.

So I think that if you're into sci-fi or maybe you want to see what the film has to offer (you never know, maybe it has some symbolism or meaning) go see it.

i saw some rosaries in the trailer and I think that is catholic

[quote="catholictiger, post:3, topic:212703"]
i saw some rosaries in the trailer and I think that is catholic

[/quote]

But like I said, I think they want to portray a hijacked church that still are has elements of Catholicism, but isn't that exactly. It's hard to explain. I agree that they are using Catholicism as the starting point, but what is portrayed in the film is a hijacked Catholic Church.

What I'm hoping is that it's something where like in the Middle Ages where the Church lets greed and power get in the way. That's sort of the vibe I feel. Again, I don't think that they are necessarily trying to say that the Church is corrupt and too powerful, but instead that no one is immune to corruption and power (just look at our history and you'll see).

Like I said before, it's a 2 minute trailer for a 120 minute film. So we really won't know until we see it.

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:4, topic:212703"]
But like I said, I think they want to portray a hijacked church that still are has elements of Catholicism, but isn't that exactly. It's hard to explain. I agree that they are using Catholicism as the starting point, but what is portrayed in the film is a hijacked Catholic Church.

What I'm hoping is that it's something where like in the Middle Ages where the Church lets greed and power get in the way. That's sort of the vibe I feel. Again, I don't think that they are necessarily trying to say that the Church is corrupt and too powerful, but instead that no one is immune to corruption and power (just look at our history and you'll see).

Like I said before, it's a 2 minute trailer for a 120 minute film. So we really won't know until we see it.

[/quote]

your right but im staying away from it, not a big fan of scary vampire type movies

[quote="catholictiger, post:5, topic:212703"]
your right but im staying away from it, not a big fan of scary vampire type movies

[/quote]

I'm tired of vampire movies. But at least these are actually scary looking and don't sparkle. But I'll go depending on Roger Ebert's review of it. But I'm not too much into sci-fi so I might not go. But if I don't go it wouldn't be because of the whole religion thing.

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:6, topic:212703"]
I'm tired of vampire movies. But at least these are actually scary looking and don't sparkle. But I'll go depending on Roger Ebert's review of it. But I'm not too much into sci-fi so I might not go. But if I don't go it wouldn't be because of the whole religion thing.

[/quote]

yeah i ushally look at people's reviews before going to see the movie

only if i know the movie is going to be really good

like the 7th harry potter movie

From what I know of the series, it's based loosly on the manhwa (Korean manga) by Hyung Min-woo. I think the movie might make a mess of the original work though, the trailer isn't all that good.

[quote="Academia, post:8, topic:212703"]
From what I know of the series, it's based loosly on the manhwa (Korean manga) by Hyung Min-woo. I think the movie might make a mess of the original work though, the trailer isn't all that good.

[/quote]

Hyung Min-woo is credited as being one of the two screenwriters, so perhaps there will be some fidelity to the original manhwa.

Here is the plot summary for the movie:

PRIEST, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, is set in an alternate world -- one ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The story revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend, a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess who possesses otherworldly fighting skills.

imdb.com/title/tt0822847/plotsummary

I would guess that since this is an alternate world, the similarities to the Catholic Church are used just to lend an air of gravitas, and that the movie's "Church" is not supposed to be some kind of successor to the Catholic Church. But I didn't read the manhwa version, so perhaps I am wrong.

I had no idea he was one of the screenwriters. I suppose it won’t be all too bad then. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.