New Narnia movie?

I have not seen a single ad for this movie - not one - nothing on TV, no ads on the radio, nothing in the dead tree paper newspapers or even the alt-weekly. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a SEQUEL that has showed up to movie theaters already flopped. Looks like Disney is banking on "Tangled" and "Toy Story 3" and already wrote off Narnia. Is there anybody who has seen an ad for this movie anywhere?

It must be regional because I've seen many, many commercials for the movie. I loved the first movie, but I haven't seen any of the follow ups -- not for any particular reason other than I don't go to the movies a lot and I don't watch a lot of movies at home. The sequel is on my Netflix list, though; and I'm sure I'll see it some day.

I’ve seen plenty of ads. Not only that, fan reviews are surfacing now that it has premiered and many say it is the best out of the movies thus far.

Nothing is better than these books, however. Read them!

My local theater has had the cardboard display for months now (over 6 months, maybe more.)

There are billboards all over my city. Mostly featuring Aslan's face along with a one-liner like "He Returns Dec 19" or something like that. I just

I just saw the trailer on national television the other night. I'm getting giddy--as a child Dawn Treader was my favorite Narnia installment. I don't even remember why, anymore, I just remember loving it. :blush:

I've seen ads and trailers, too. It may be different in different areas, as Nanny said.

If anyone is interested ..

I saw it yesterday. It was much better than the second one :yup: Overall, I think I'm still partial to the first, but I liked this one a great deal, too. :)

I wish they had gone a bit more deeply into Eustace's healing and how it was accomplished, to bring out the real meaning behind it.

I heard a radio interview with Douglas Gresham (CS Lewis' step-son, and one of the producers of the film), and he said that there were some things that the director insisted on changing, saying it would work better for film ...perhaps that was one of those things.

Some of it felt too 'rushed' to me ... I wish they had made it a bit longer (maybe 2.5 hours) so that some of the 'depths' could've been explored a bit more.

But, on the whole it was very enjoyable, and I would encourage everyone to go see it :thumbsup:

Yesterday in the Sacramento Bee, there was a whole page review of the movie by Roger Moore of the Orlando Sentinel. I have also seen it advertised on T.V. as well as colored large half page adds in the newspaper.

[quote="Morwenna, post:5, topic:222353"]
But, on the whole it was very enjoyable, and I would encourage everyone to go see it :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

We saw it yesterday as well and my daughter and I loved it, my husband thought it was good but not as great. He still loves the first one. But I loved the actor that played Eustice, he was fantastic. We saw the 3D version by the way and the special effects were awesome.

There are both versions of the movie at our theatre. There have been tons of ads for it on our local TV stations as well, for a couple of months at least.

Yep, I've recently seen plenty of bus-stop and billboard advertising for it, but it did kind of spring up overnight around the time of the movie being released rather than a huge lengthy buildup. I noticed kinda the same thing with the last Harry Potter movie.

Perhaps with these sorts of film franchises the studios decide, probably correctly, that they doesn't NEED a huge build up, that Narnia/Harry Potter fans will know and flock in droves.

I wonder how the box-office for it is going?

[quote="LilyM, post:9, topic:222353"]
I wonder how the box-office for it is going?

[/quote]

As Christmas draws nearer audiences decided that perhaps their time would be better spent with a metaphorical Jesus than Angelina Jolie, and so the latest entry in the Chronicles of Narnia series topped the box office. Meanwhile the Depp-Jolie joint venture, The Tourist, had to settle for number two.

Friday Box Office: Dawn Treader Sails To Number One

Also ran across this article:

10 Things You Can Do to Save Narnia From Box Office Doom

Earlier this morning I shared about Friday’s ticket sales for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (view article). Unfortunately more accurate results of $8.2 million are in that are even worse than expected. The opening weekend of Voyage of the Dawn Treader is critical to the film’s success, but we can do something to make sure that low predictions of a $26 million dollar opening weekend don’t become a reality. The only way that Narnia books like The Silver Chair or The Last Battle will be made into films is if the Narnia Fans join together and ensure that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a success. Here are 10 easy things that you can do to make sure that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is successful enough for there to be future Narnia movies. NarniaFans.com has over 1.1 million readers and if everyone joins together we can make sure that the film’s opening weekend is better than expected.

1. See The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in 3D this weekend.

2. Update your Facebook and Twitter status to tell all of your friends about the movie and encourage them to see it this weekend. If you use Twitter be sure to include #DawnTreader in your tweet.

3. Change your Facebook profile image to this photo on the left.

4. Share you review of the move at narniafans.com/vdt_reviews/ and then post a link to your review on Facebook and email the review to your friends.

5. Ask your church to have an announcement about The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in their Sunday morning services and provide them with a list of Sunday afternoon showtimes.

6. If you have already seen the movie I highly recommend seeing it again. I enjoyed the movie more on my second and third viewings than I did the first time I saw it. I also suggest that you should take your entire family to see it because the whole family will enjoy the movie. If you haven’t seen the movie in 3D be sure to make it to a 3D showing of the film and invite your friends to join you.

7. Call or e-mail 10 friends and tell them about The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

8. Make a flier about the Christian themes in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and include the local Sunday afternoon showtimes. Pass out copies of this flier at your Sunday morning church service and encourage your friends to take their entire family to see the movie on Sunday after church.

9. Go to facebook.com/narniamovies and click “Suggest to Friends”. Then click on all of your friends to share the page with them to recommend that they “Like” the page.

10. Share this article through Facebook, Twitter, and e-mail so that you can encourage your Narnia loving friends to see the movie and help promote The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

The future of Narnia films depends on you. The box office sales from Friday were very disappointing, but the weekend is not over yet. I recommend that this evening you should see Voyage of the Dawn Treader in 3D with friends and family.

When ever I see it it will be in 2D.

[quote="havana1, post:1, topic:222353"]
I have not seen a single ad for this movie - not one - nothing on TV, no ads on the radio, nothing in the dead tree paper newspapers or even the alt-weekly. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a SEQUEL that has showed up to movie theaters already flopped. Looks like Disney is banking on "Tangled" and "Toy Story 3" and already wrote off Narnia. Is there anybody who has seen an ad for this movie anywhere?

[/quote]

Ive seen TV ads all over the place for 3 weeks.

Disney didn't really write this off the way you may think. They no longer have the rights to the film. I believe Fox now is in possession of the Narnia films.

I always found that these movies would struggle. I hope it does well.

[quote="Arkadin, post:13, topic:222353"]
Disney didn't really write this off the way you may think. They no longer have the rights to the film. I believe Fox now is in possession of the Narnia films.

I always found that these movies would struggle. I hope it does well.

[/quote]

I don't know if its just these movies though, this film won the box office yesterday but all the films that were released yesterday underperformed by expectations.

I think a release closer to Christmas would’ve been better for this film.

[quote="PatriceA, post:14, topic:222353"]
I don't know if its just these movies though, this film won the box office yesterday but all the films that were released yesterday underperformed by expectations.

[/quote]

I do think in part it can be explained by the economy. In my area a ticket is $13 PER PERSON. For a family of 4 that is over $50 buck to just get in the door.....

That is hefty in the holiday season for a family oriented film.

When you factor in Thursday midnight screeings Dawn Treader did quite well.

showbizdata.com/

I saw the movie this past Friday in 3D...it was awesome!!!

movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809874898/video/20471791

Dawn Treader was good. I think they changed the order of events more in this movie than they did in Wardrobe or Caspian, but it was still entertaining and anything added to the main plot-line was not found to be confusing or lacking IMHO. Book fans should be overall proud. I loved the actor who portrayed Eustace; he definitely was Eustace for me. Can't wait for Silver Chair!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.