New Noah Movie.

My wife and I enjoyed the movie. It also gave us a lot to talk about. Yes, they took great liberties with the story, but then so did Cecil B. DeMille with The Ten Commandments.

The fallen angels as rock monsters was a bit much, and the whole idea of the angels fallen because they tried (in a misguided way) to help mankind recover from the fall.

Paul

Based on the amazing Catholic reviews and the trailers, I can’t wait to get a babysitter and go see this movie! :slight_smile:

It’s a movie, not a catechism. The story of Noah is so sparce, there is so much that an writer or producer could be creative with…kinda like a Sci-Fi :slight_smile: Can’t wait!!!

To me a movie is a movie and I want to go see it.

The movie references God a lot. They just call him the Creator.

I liked it.

Its sad to see so many folks judging the film without seeing it (not you guys specifically) but around the internet.

It is not true. God is all over this film. It is also full of cool miracles. Noah doesn’t call God “God” ; he calls Him “The Creator” and is very reverent toward the Creator.

The complaints are from a bunch of uptight fundamentalists over-reacting as usual.

Sheesh.

I saw it friday, it was boring, I almost fell asleep…save your $$. The watchers (rock people) were the only highlight and that’s sad. Waste of good acting talent… what a shame…

Has any one else watched this version

It is not the movie all else are quoting

This is a good look at the subject :wink: :thumbsup:

God Bless and Regards Tony

Seeing this movie was a waste of time and money, in my opinion. :eek:

Apparently you haven’t read this Catholic reviewer who wonders whether those “amazing” Catholic reviewers saw the same movie he did.

scifiwright.com/2014/04/deluge-as-earthday/#more-10225

I would save your money and an hour of your time. Reading his review is a much more valuable use of both.

SPOILER ALERT

A couple of tantalizing quotes:

At this point Noah looks down, and sees the blood from the goat. It stains his feet. This was the scene he saw in his vision.

This is the very moment when the film goes completely off the rails. It lumbers onward for a few more minutes, however, by sheer force of momentum, before toppling from the trestle and careening into the gulfs of sheer awesome, bottomless stupidity so far below.

I hope you understand the piercing, penetrating, intensely bad craftsmanship of this scene. At this point, what was required was for the audience to be shown that all the Children of Cain were so vile and wicked in their behavior that the judgment of the Deluge, if Draconian, was at least understandable. The camp should have shown acts of mayhem and torment and harlotry and sodomy and cannibalism and drunkenness and idolatry and brutality and violence, or at least usury. Unfortunately, to a modern audience, half those things are Constitutionally protected rights.

There is no tension. In order to create plot and tension, you need two things: something the protagonist desires, and some obstacle that prevents him from getting what he wants. In this case, the desire to kill your own family in order to make the world safe for bears and owls is not a normal human emotion, and no one in the audience, aside from psychopaths, can feel the temptation.

Emma Watson then explains to Noah (since, this being a modern movie, the young women have to have all the insight and they explain things to the fathers and patriarchs) “The Creator did not give a rat’s anus whether you killed my children, and all the human race with us, or relented and granted us all mercy. The Creator has no rules and no sense of right and wrong and no plan for the universe! The choice was YOURS. The Creator left the choice in YOUR hands, because it is all about YOU, baby! Free choice! Choose abortion! Choose choice! There is no right and wrong in life, only choosing stuff!”

Maybe she did not say those words precisely in that order, but that was the gist of it.

I’d rather sit with some people and discuss the biblical account than to watch anything of this sort put out by Hollywood. Hollywood’s interest is money. Hopefully, my friends and I would be discussing the text, what do we learn about God, and how does it help to shape our faith.

As much as I tend to respect Mr. Greydanus’ reviews of movies, I think he completely missed the mark on this one.

Even though some on this forum think that the mere mention of God, especially in honorific terms such as “Creator” is sufficient to make a movie one to fawn over, there are huge issues in mind moulding that are an aspect of this film. The fact that many are completely missing or glossing over that this intent is the central thrust of the movie is somewhat disconcerting.

Even Mr. Greydanus seems to have succumbed. In his review he states:

Is Noah a vegetarian?
In keeping with Genesis, Noah and his family do not hunt or eat animals. Prior to the flood, mankind (and animals) had permission from God to eat plants and fruit, but permission to eat animals was given to human beings only after the flood. (Extrapolating from this principle, the film depicts the wicked sons of Cain, who break God’s law in so many other ways, hunting and eating animals when God has not permitted this.)

Read more: ncregister.com/daily-news/noah-controversy/#ixzz2xftXw5Vn

The aspect being entirely glossed over is that Cain was, in the Genesis account, the “tiller of the soil,” while Abel the one who raised livestock, ostensibly to eat and certainly to kill as a sacrificial offering with which God was pleased. Apparently, it was with Adam’s children that humans did kill and eat animals, not with Noah.

Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, “I have acquired a man from the Lord.” Then she bore again, this time his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord. Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell. (Gen 4:1-5)

It will have to be explained how Abel could offer the “fat” of his flock without first killing at least one. Note God did not “respect” Cain or his offering, even though he was more likely, of the two, to be the vegetarian. Yet the movie makes a big deal of Cain being the evil one for killing animals.

Not sure how Mr. Greydanus missed that little detail, but apparently did in his exuberance to defend the errant premise.

LOL.I was bored at the beginning too and was trying hard to stay awake. But I was expecting to see God talk to Noah which didnt happen through out the movie may be i am being too filmy I donno. :slight_smile:

I have a question though

Did Noah really wanted to kill his grandchildren as was shown in the movie and God wanted him to do so?

Our heavenly father is referred to as the creator, Since the time of Noah is before Abraham and before Moses, this is a perfectly acceptable reference to the one who created all things.

No, they made that part up (along with a lot of the other stuff).

I enjoyed it though.

Really? Can you please cite a positive review? This movie is akin to telling the story of the American revolution with the English portrayed as zombies.

I take you haven’t seen Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Paul

This review is positive, and by a Catholic reviewer.

catholicworldreport.com/Item/3036/inoahi_a_theological_reflection.aspx

Review by Father Robert Barron:

Ncregister

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.