New PBS program says Bible isn't true, stories made up

I just got this from AFA’s Action Alert e-mail…I was wondering what everybody thought of this.

orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/orl-exodus2108jul21,0,1058188,print.story

If you feel like signing their petition, here’s the link for that as well.

secure.afa.net/afa/activism/signpetition.asp?id=1780

This is also the bulk of what the email says…

The Public Broadcasting System (PBS), probably the most liberal network in America, will present a program this fall that says the Old Testament is a bunch of made-up stories that never happened. “The Bible’s Buried Secrets” says the Bible is not true. It is scheduled to air on November 18.
Producer Paula Apsell said: "…It’s (The Bible’s Buried Secrets) designed for intelligent people who are willing to change their mind. …it will give intelligent people who want to read the Bible in a modern way a chance. If we insist on reading the Bible literally, in 25 years, nobody will read it any longer."
Among highlights of “The Bible’s Buried Secrets”:
• The Old Testament was written in the sixth century BC and hundreds of authors contributed.
• Abraham, Sarah and their offspring didn’t exist.
• There is no archaeological evidence of the Exodus.
• Monotheism was a process that took hundreds of years.
• The Israelites were actually Canaanites.
• The Israelites believed that God had a wife.
I have often said that PBS should not receive tax dollars. “The Bible’s Buried Secrets” is simply one more reason Congress should stop supporting PBS with our tax dollars. Congress gives PBS hundreds of millions of tax dollars to help support the network.

From a purely secular view, they are correct on many points. The Bible is a document of faith, and much of it cannot be verified.

People have been searching for evidence of the Exodus (to address one point) for many centuries. Some tantalizing possibilities have been uncovered (definitely not Cecile B. DeMille), but nothing that absolutely matches the Biblical account.

They’re probably right, but missing the real point.

John

Last half of November, right on cue, just before Christmas. Wonder what shocking new “discovery” will be up right before Easter next spring. :yawn::sleep:

I object that they use tax dollars to promote their agenda. If they want to put on programs like that, let them use their own money.

The AFA has been known to hyperventilate over nothing. I think I would hold off criticizing the program until Biblical scholars have weighed in on its claims.

I agree with John, just because parts of the Bible aren’t literally true doesn’t mean that they aren’t spiritually true.

I’m not really criticizing or applauding this…I just thought it was newsworthy and wondered what everybody else thought of this…It seems that the founder of the AFA seems to think that if somebody doesnt think every single line of the Bible is literal then he is vehemently against that person. Just my first impression though.

Another thread on this topic here:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=255628

Its about what I would expect from PBS. They make no bones about being anit-christian. As far as shutting off their tax dollars goes, that’s already been tried a couple of times by the republicans and they got their noses bloddied.

The next time your local PBS station has a drive for funds, call them up and tell them why you’re not giving any money to them. Maybe as a sequel, they’ll have a program telling that the Koran isn’t true, also. Ha, ha, but don’t hold your breath.

The Bible came to us in layer upon layer…revision upon revision…edit upon edit…redaction upon redaction over centuries of compling and merging existing stories as various people wrote them down and they became “sacred stories”…liturgical books to lead worship…“historical” in the sense they told the story of the Israelite people as the “victors” remembered it. When Israel and Judah was split into the two kingdoms, depending on who it was in power provided the “slant” the story took. “History is written by the victors, not the vanquished.”

Seeking to “silence” facts we don’t like is not a good idea. There are differing views…if those views are not agreed with…don’t listen to them…don’t watch them. But to censor those views by seeking to silence them is wrong.

“our tax dollars” include mine, and I have no objections concerning Public Broadcasting.

Nice little and ‘effective’ falacy here that I’d like to point out;

‘designed for intelligent people’

who

‘are willing to change their mind’

Are two statements equivalenet to saying;
‘if you’re not interested, that’s just because you’re stupid’
and
’if you don’t change you’re mind and agree with us, that’s just because you’re closed minded’.

No one wants to be called stupid, or be called closed-minded, so everyone should want to see this film, and everyone will have the reflex of wanting to believe it all.

Tricks of the trade.

I’d rather be closed minded and stupid in the eyes of my peers than fall for their tricks.

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I didn’t know people even watched PBS.:smiley:

Then again, I’ve pretty much stopped watching television all together. Life is much better without it.

Who cares, this isn’t the first time it has happened and neither is it the last time. There is no point petitioning, and it would be extremely rude too, it’s their point of view. And they aren’t propagating hate speech. The less drama people make over this, the sooner it will quietly just pass over anyways.

PBS isn’t going to be world changing with one documentary.

THAT AMAZING BOOK!

by Terry Watkins

President Ronald Reagan pointed to that Amazing Book and said: “Indeed, it is an indisputable fact that all the complex and horrendous questions confronting us at home and worldwide have their answer in that SINGLE BOOK.”

Napoleon said about that Amazing Book: “. . . is no mere book, but A LIVING CREATURE that conquers all that face it”.

Newsweek magazine, (Dec. 27, 1982), on it’s cover wrote: about that Amazing Book “How one book unites us, divides us, and STILL DEFINES US”.

That Amazing Book is The Bible!

And if you think the Bible is like any other book ever written - keep reading. When you finish this you’ll know that book is amazing!

But the Bible was written thousands of years ago. And we’re heading into the 21st century! We’ve seen man go to the moon. We’ve seen mankind take great strides in conquering the hidden mysteries of the universe. The Bible was written thousands of years ago by men with such limited knowledge.

With their limited knowledge, what could they possibly have known? I’m glad you asked…

Isaiah 40:22: “It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE OF THE EARTH.” How did Isaiah know in 700 B.C. the earth is round? The scientists of Isaiah’s day thought the earth was flat. They didn’t discover the earth is round until the early 1500s when Magellan sailed around the world. How did Isaiah know something over 2000 years ahead of science?

Job 26:7: “. . . and hangeth the earth upon NOTHING.” During the time of Job, it was believed a god named Atlas held the earth on his shoulders! Nobody believed the earth “hangeth upon NOTHING!” Job is the oldest book in the Bible! Written over 3500 years ago! How did Job know something that was IMPOSSIBLE to know during his day?

Genesis 2:7: “And the Lord God formed man of the DUST OF THE GROUND, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.” Surely, you don’t take Genesis 2:7 seriously? Do you?

November 1982, Reader’s Digest had an article titled How Life on Earth Began. It stated that according to scientists at NASA’s Ames Research Center the ingredients needed to form a human being can be found IN CLAY. The article said, “The Biblical scenario for the creation of life turns out to be NOT FAR OFF THE MARK.” (Reader’s Digest, November, 1982 p.116) No, it’s “not far off the mark” - it’s right on it! Scientists have laughed at the possibility of Genesis having any scientific credibility whatsoever - and yet, the more we learn, the more we find it to be SCIENTIFICALLY CORRECT!

Psalm 8:8: “. . . whatsoever passeth through the PATHS OF THE SEAS.” After reading Psalm 8:8, Matthew Maury, a U.S. Naval officer, set out to locate these curious “paths in the seas.” He discovered the oceans have paths which flow through them. He became known as the “pathfinder of the seas”. How did David (the writer of Psalms) know, over 2,000 years ago, there were “paths in the seas”? David probably never even saw an ocean! HOW DID HE KNOW?

Ecclesiastes 1:7: “All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.” How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know the water cycle of condensation and evaporation? The sun evaporates water from the ocean, water vapor rises and becomes clouds. This water in the clouds falls back to the earth as rain, collects in rivers, and makes its way back to the ocean. This wasn’t known until Galileo in 1630! How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know this in 1000 B.C.? 2500 YEARS AHEAD OF SCIENCE!

Leviticus 15:13: “And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in RUNNING WATER.” God said to wash the infected flesh in RUNNING WATER. Science didn’t discover that until two men named Pasteur and Koch in the late 1800s. Doctors were washing their hands in a bowl of water and spreading the germs like wild fire. It wasn’t until the invention of the microscope and the science of bacteriology that doctors started washing under RUNNING WATER. Leviticus was written around 1490 B.C. SCIENCE WAS ABOUT 3000 YEARS BEHIND! Isn’t it embarrassing how science always lags about 2000 years behind that Amazing Book!

Job 38:19: “Where is THE WAY where light dwelleth?” How come Job didn’t say where is THE PLACE where light dwelleth? Because light is always moving. How did Job know something in 1500 B.C. that science didn’t find out until Einstein? How can the men who wrote that Amazing Book, with their limited scientific knowledge - BE SO FAR AHEAD OF SCIENCE?

Ecclesiastes 1:6: “The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again ACCORDING TO HIS CIRCUITS.” How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know the wind traveled within circuits? How did he know something that the aerologists and meteorologists are just now discovering? THINK ABOUT IT! How can these men, with their limited knowledge thousands of years ago, be so far ahead of science?

Proverbs 6:6-8: “Go to the ant. . . gathereth her food in the harvest.” Life’s Nature Library “The Insects” (p.163) commenting on Proverbs 6 reads, “One of the entomological puzzles of the last century concerned this observation by Solomon. There was no evidence that ants actually harvested grain. In 1871, however, a British naturalist showed that Solomon had been right after all. . .” How did Solomon know that in 1000 B.C.? How did Solomon CLEARLY, detail a scientific FACT, that was IMPOSSIBLE for him to know in 1000 B.C.?

Proverbs 17:22: “A merry heart doeth good like a MEDICINE.” An article in The Birmingham News, titled Laughter: Prescription for Health, said, the LATEST medical evidence reveals that, “At some point during laughter, your body issues A PRESCRIPTION from the pharmacy in your brain.” How did the writer of Proverbs know that - 3000 YEARS AHEAD OF MEDICAL SCIENCE?

Leviticus 17:11: “For the life of the flesh is in the blood.” That’s the most accurate, scientific statement ever written about the blood! It is the blood that carries on all the life processes of the body. It is the blood that causes growth, builds new cells, grows bone and flesh, stores fat, makes hair and nails. It is the blood that feeds and supports all the organs of the body.

If the blood supply be cut off from an arm, that arm will immediately begin to die and rot. It is the blood that repairs the body. It is the blood that clots wounds, that grows new flesh, new skin and even new nerves. It is the blood that fights disease. When they give you a vaccine against a disease, they give you a shot into your blood stream.

For thousands of years, doctors treated people by a practice called “bleeding.” They thought illnesses could be cured by removing blood. In 1799, less than 200 years ago, George Washington was literally bled to death. They bled poor George four times, the last time they took over a quart of his blood!

They didn’t know, but they were literally draining away his life by removing his blood. It wasn’t until the early 1900’s that a man named Dr. Lister discovered that the blood provides the bodies immune system - THE LIFE OF THE FLESH IS IN THE BLOOD!

The Birmingham Post Herald, February 26, 1988, told the story of Mike Thomas. Mike was working at a construction site when he fell 70 feet. As he was falling, a cable wrapped around his arm and severed his hand a few inches above the wrist. A fellow worker carried his severed hand to the hospital. Because of serious internal injuries, doctors couldn’t at that time reattach Thomas’s hand. Instead, they attached his hand to blood vessels on his abdomen wall to “keep it alive”. Two months later, the doctors removed it from his abdomen and reattached it to his arm. According to the report, UAB was the first in the nation to perform such a task!

Exactly what the Bible said in 1490 B.C.! Keep feeding that hand blood, and it’ll stay alive - the LIFE of the FLESH is in the BLOOD!

Don’t you find that odd? What Moses wrote in 1490 B.C., the brightest minds man can produce, are just now discovering! How can that Amazing Book, written thousands of years ago, by men with such limited knowledge, be so far ahead the best mankind can produce in 6,000 years?

To realize how Amazing that Book is; compare what the scientists taught when that Amazing Book was written. They believed lightning bolts were missiles from the gods. The Vedas (Hindu sacred book) taught, to get rain, tie a frog with his mouth open to a tree and repeat some magic words - and presto - rain! The Egyptians believed stars were the souls of dead people who were now gods. The Greeks believed a god named Atlas held the earth on his shoulders. Some taught the earth sat on the backs of several large (very large!) elephants. And the elephants were resting on the back of a large (very, very large!) turtle! And the turtle? He was resting on a large (very, very, very large!) snake! And the snake? Well, you get the picture.

But, that Amazing Book, contains nothing so foolish! Despite what was taught and believed during the writers day! That Amazing Book says, “And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. . .” (Acts 7:22). And yet, the “superstitions and mythology” of Egypt are not in the books written by Moses! In fact, after 6,000 years of “discoveries and advancements” - that Amazing Book, can stand beside the most advanced medical, scientific, and historical books available!

You can read the rest here

biblestudysite.com/amzbook.htm

Circle is not sphere, be careful with the quotes. Infact circles can be flat. The earth being flat, does not mean the scientists didn’t think it was a flat circle.

PBS has some good programs. However, due their leftist extremism, I will not give them 1 penny if they call for donations.

From the article the OP posted;

“It challenges the Bible’s stories if you want to read them literally, and that will disturb many people,” says archaeologist William Dever, who specializes in Israel’s history. “But it explains how and why these stories ever came to be told in the first place, and how and why they were written down.”

Seems rational to me.

It will upset those who interpret the Bible literally, which even the Catholic Church doesn’t do.

Jim

This is correct. The Bible is not a science book. The earth rests upon foundations surrounded by water. Heaven is “up there” and hell is “in the bowels of the earth”…

Modern apologists will scour passages for any hint of a modern scientific view of the earth…but it’s not there…perhaps a view not as “poetic” as some of the Hindu myths or Egyptian myths are, but the biblical view of the earth is a far far cry from a modern scientific view.

What cathces my eye is the quote “It’s (The Bible’s Buried Secrets) designed for intelligent people who are willing to change their mind. …” we are so ignorant as human beings of the universe arond us. Of just about everything. Those who consider themselves “intelligent” - and I mean in an arrogant, prideful way (hey if you score over a 1200 on SAT and say "yeah I guess you could say I’m intelligent - I’m not condemning ya!) - are always those who lead society down the wrong path. They are the ones who think they have figured out the universe in a way that hundreds upon hundreds of generations preceding haven’t - and rationalize just about anything that draws us away from God. Whether it’s sexuality and human relationships, the origins of the universe, the humanity and worth of a human being - I tell you, even if you think you are clinging on to faith in the most blind way - you are miles ahead of those who think they know it all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.