"New" Pledge of Allegiance

Sent to me by a friend, validity unknown… but good!

WRITTEN BY A 15 yr. old SCHOOL KID IN ARIZONA:

New Pledge of Allegiance

Since the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord’s Prayer are not allowed in most public schools anymore because the word “God” is mentioned…

A kid in Arizona wrote the attached

NEW School prayer: -

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That’s no offense; it’s a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God’s name is prohibited by the state.

We’re allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They’ve outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the ‘unwed daddy,’ our Senior King.
It’s “inappropriate” to teach right from wrong,
We’re taught that such “judgments” do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It’s scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school’s a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen

wow…I’m sure somebody wrote it, but whoever did, did it well!
Too true…I’m going to share this on Facebook :slight_smile:

I wrote a new one too, let me see if I can remember it all.

I pledge alliance to the Pope,
Of the Vatican and the chair of St. Peter
and to the Church for which it stands
one faith, under one God in three divine persons
With the body and blood of Jesus Christ, the intercession of Mary, Salvation through faith and works, rosaries, and copies of the complete bible and the cathecism of the Catholic Church for all. :smiley:

It would be more interesting half the things in the poem were true. Unfortunately, ‘facts’ or ‘reality’ seem to be becoming rarer and rarer in Christian propaganda.

I agree. There are so many things in there that aren’t true or blown out of proportion. It borders on the ridiculous.

Just a note (as an american indian) you CAN’T study totem poles as a religon. All a totem pole represents is family history, lineage, stories and the like. There isn’t any spirituality involved.

mmm, guess I better admit my taste for vampires runs nothing near religion.

The brief time I was in High school I was goth and interested in vampires. I mostly have grown out of it at this point:whacky:

I just like vampire movies and Dracula:D

Actually the current pledge is the “new” pledge. Under God wasn’t added until the 50’s.

Because the Knights of Columbus rallied for it to be added!!!

Yeah Knights!!!

Don’t want to argue, really. But I graduated only 7 years ago. It’s a long time, but not that long. Most of those things WERE allowed in the school. Seriously. Not all, but more than half.

Now I will admit the schools here are beginning to require uniforms and such, so that’s a start.

Rant time…

My son has atteneded at least 5 Public school districts in three states. I have the handbooks from every single one. Not one of them has any kind of ban on prayer. Believe me, I’ve looked!

Not one has a ban on carrying or reading a Bible -

Kids can pray at school. They cannot stand up and pray aloud during class, that is talking in class and would not be appropriate. They can pray between class, at lunch - make the SOTC, pray the Rosary, pray aloud or silently.

They can read the Bible at school. Again, not during class, same as they could not sit and read a biology book during english class - but, when they have time to read books of their own choosing, they can bring and read the Bible.

They have Gideons on campus giving away free Bibles at least once a year, they have “meet me at the flagpole” and Bible clubs that meet during lunch.

Please, this is another urban myth.

Like I said, and pre-qualified… I can’t attest to the validity or accuracy of this…

but it does prompt some questions.

This poem smacks of sheer ignorance and exaggeration.

Pledge of the Common Era:
I pledge allegiance to my own personal values and beliefs, and to the relative nature to which one can individually experience reality, a pluralistic society under a higher power of one’s own choice, tolerant with personal freedom checked and balanced with concern for the public welfare.

(Not one I subscribe to.)

I also graduated 7 years ago, but that does not change the fact that the poem grossly misrepresents the situation or even outright lies every single time it speaks about something ‘Christian’ that is not allowed. Prayer is allowed in school. The only thing federal law prevents is a government figure leading/sanctioning the prayer. Schools are even allowed to teach classes on the Bible, provided they do it from a historical perspective.

As far as I can tell, the only parts of the poem that have any hint of truth are the ones speaking about what is allowed in school (with the previously mentioned exceptions for witchcraft, totem poles, vampires, morality, etc).

Er, I think you and Amber Dale are in agreement, suat.

Yep, pretty much what I wanted to say there. :slight_smile: lol. It’s okay. Those things are allowed in school, but you also could pray. Heck, I checked out my very first witchcraft book in the school libray. I also had and unhealthy obsession with vampires. :o You know, back before I really had a basis for faith.

But there were kids who would openly pray. Not many of them, because they would be openly mocked.

The public schools also offer the “Left Behind” books - not sure which is more dangerous :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.