New Polish Migration Policy Seen Enshrining Xenophobia

The draft policy by the ministry’s Migration Affairs Team claims that Muslims are “often incapable of integration” and would make naturalisation contingent on foreigners adopting “Polish values, including worldview, religion and politics”.

A leaked copy of the draft policy was published in full (in Polish) in June by the Association for Legal Intervention rights group.

The Polish Helsinki Foundation, a human rights non-governmental organisation, said in a statement that the “conditions related to worldview and religion are a gross violation of fundamental freedoms and human rights”.

Balkan Insight is a great website for news of that area. Poland is not of the Balkans of course but a bit related in a manner of speaking. The Balkans too, deals with its wounds of the past.

No, not even Poland has as mad a history as the Balkans :upside_down_face:

If any EU country has had a dramatic problem with migration, it’s Poland - very large numbers of Poles have emigrated since the country joined.

I can’t picture the EU tolerating this. Poland will have to back down or be sanctioned.

Denmark has a much better approach, they force immigrants to send their children to Danish pre school etc where they start to learn the “Danish world view”

I don’t fault a host country for requiring integration, but do agree the Polish approach is problematic.

Not knowing what the Danish world view is, I can’t comment on the practice. But regardless, there is no way the EU will allow what the article says the policy is.

Hard to blame the Poles for wanting it, though. Their whole history, nearly, has consisted in warding off invaders; sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

2 Likes

Hard to blame the Poles for wanting it, though. Their whole history, nearly, has consisted in warding off invaders; sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Immigrants aren’t invaders. Comparing immigration to conquest by a foreign power is not something that should be done.

3 Likes

Oh? Sometimes that’s a distinction without meaningful difference over time, as with the Romans inviting various Teutonic tribes into the Empire and Polish invitation of Germans into Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia.

2 Likes

Said no American Indian, EVER

2 Likes

Yeah, but all European countries have been shaped by conquests like that, so that still doesn’t defend anti-immigration statements, unless you consider the English to not be indigenous because of Saxon and Norman influence. Besides, we’re talking about migration between modern nation-states here, not pre-capitalist conquests that precede the modern nation-state.

Said no American Indian, EVER

Settler colonialism is not the same as migration between modern nation-states.

1 Like

Some of those “shapings” have been very unfortunate for the indigenous population. And I don’t think Poland is talking about migration between modern nation states. Poland’s problem appears to be primarily with immigration by Muslims who are NOT from modern nation states, but are from places so primitive that the only thing “modern” about them are AK-47s, RPGs and cellphone-triggered IEDs.

2 Likes

Yes it is,
both were/are economic migrants by and large

Japan for one, has prohibited some of this immigration for a long time. I’ve understood Japan as being a society where things are Japanese, in the past, even frowning on Chinese residents there. Their birth rate seems to be creating some problem.

And we have seen China with those camps; but that is a bit of a mixed situation. Everything takes some research. Often things are not as simple as they appear.

Didn’t the Walmart shooter call immigrants invaders?

2 Likes

Yes, and perhaps millions have said it as well and before he ever did.

I don’t know what one might call it if hundreds of Americans entered Canada illegally.

1 Like

You are talking insanity or a deranged person here. They come in all shapes sizes and nationality. He latched on to a perceived cause, primarily I assume to have something, but seriously doubt that was the underlying problem with this guy.

1 Like

I guess if lots of people do it, then it’s ok.

Latching onto hateful language and then lashing out violently while those that use the very same language give themselves cover by saying they are the ones doing the violence. The language leads to violence.

He also used the words “and” and “the”.

1 Like

Those words don’t have a negative connotation. Calling an immigrant an invader does.

1 Like

I think this is the key issue “often incapable of integration”. I would say Poland has observed the issues found in Sweden, Belgium, England and Germany. They go on in the article and talk about the reference of something along the line of “parallel societies” where they say the Muslim immigrants exist apart form the local communities and do not accept the local values. This is really seems not to be an ethnic issue but the view that once a person is in a community that they are expected to become a part of it rather than seeking to disrupt it. I think most people are aware of the no-go zones in many western European cities and the problems it has created. Violence in these communities is a fact, not a conjecture. Depending on how one views their position it could be spun in any number of directions. The statement goes on to say that they would expect the immigrants to adopt their value system, not seek to change it. If Europeans went to most Middle Eastern countries they would be expected to follow some very strict codes of conduct in appearance and actions. In many there area some very strong penalties for stepping outside that code of ethics.

1 Like

can you be more specific exactly what you referencing?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.