New priest and parish

Could you share some stories on what usually happens in the parish from where a newly ordained priest came from? What usually happens in the home parish of the ordinand?
Share stories.
we have one of our parishioners in the seminary in my parish.

We have had 11 men from our parish ordained in the last 10 years, so I’m pretty familiar with the process.:wink:

Generally, there is a Mass of Thanksgiving, which the priest celebrates. Generally, he is not the homilist, his pastor will be.

The recent ordinand will often have friends from the seminary act as servers and Readers, and any who are instituted Acolytes will fulfill any needed EMHC roles.

It is customary for the recent ordinand to receive a blessing from his parents, and to offer one to them in return. He will then give his mother a particular memento from his Ordination. After his ordination, he was given a linen cloth to wipe off any excess chrism from the ordination itself. This is traditionally give to the priest’s mother ( and is generally buried with her, if that is her wish).

Afterward, at our parish, will be reception of coffee, donuts and light snacks. During this time the new ordinand will offer blessings at a prie-dieu.

[quote="Brendan, post:2, topic:341828"]
We have had 11 men from our parish ordained in the last 10 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the process.;)

Generally, there is a Mass of Thanksgiving, which the priest celebrates. Generally, he is not the homilist, his pastor will be.

The recent ordinand will often have friends from the seminary act as servers and Readers, and any who are instituted Acolytes will fulfill any needed EMHC roles.

It is customary for the recent ordinand to receive a blessing from his parents, and to offer one to them in return. He will then give his mother a particular memento from his Ordination. After his ordination, he was given a linen cloth to wipe off any excess chrism from the ordination itself. This is traditionally give to the priest's mother ( and is generally buried with her, if that is her wish).

Afterward, at our parish, will be reception of coffee, donuts and light snacks. During this time the new ordinand will offer blessings at a prie-dieu.

[/quote]

11 in 10 years?! Does the pastor there have stigmata or something?:eek: Seriously, though, that's awesome.

I'd thought that newly ordained priests are sometimes assigned to their home parish to 'start out' since they already know everyone there, etc. I'm guessing in your case that's impossible, but it was the case with our new assoc. pastor -- my parish is his second assignment, his first one being (for three years) the parish where he spent the bulk of his life.

[quote="sw85, post:3, topic:341828"]
11 in 10 years?! Does the pastor there have stigmata or something?:eek: Seriously, though, that's awesome.

[/quote]

He runs our altar program like a vocations program. Boys start when they are about 5 and every boy is invited (and almost all participate). Like a priest, if a boy is present at Mass, he serves. So a Sunday am Mass will have about 70 boys serving. Two of the older boys will be designated as readers to do the Readings (so they get experience speaking from the ambo in front of large groups.). By the time a young man is in college, he has spend 13+ years serving at God's altar at just about every Mass he was ever at.

So it provides really good ground for any seed from God to grow :thumbsup:

I'd thought that newly ordained priests are sometimes assigned to their home parish to 'start out' since they already know everyone there, etc. I'm guessing in your case that's impossible, but it was the case with our new assoc. pastor -- my parish is his second assignment, his first one being (for three years) the parish where he spent the bulk of his life.

I have never seen that in our Archdiocese. The men are ordained in May, but assignments to not take effect until July 1. So they do spend a few months at their home parish, but it is off to their assignments by July. I cannot recall a single instance of the a new priest's first assignment being at his home parish.

SW,

Here is the story of one of our priests

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11051358&highlight=somalia#post11051358

That is awesome! Your pastor should write a book on fostering vocations!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.