New priest in our parish and change

Going back to gold chalices from crystal; it will be interesting to see what other changes we have in our future.

We are adjusting to a new priest also.

No Chalice Veil, Deacons as decoration (basically).

He’s made other changes outside of the Mass, some good, some not so much.

Our parish is rather conservative, and does things very much by the book, and so far, he hasn’t really demonstrated the same views.

There is always a learning curve of sorts to all of this. Lots and lots of prayer for all involved.

A few thoughts. Maybe he is fearful of breakage and spillage. Maybe he just likes metal vessels. Either way, why not invite him to lunch or dinner, just to get to know him? IMO, a priest should never have to worry about what or where he will eat. He should be turning down invitations after mass because he has too many others.

I will bet that when Saint Paul departed from an area, and left it to Timothy or Titus, many were also apprehensive about changes. Since many parishes no longer have Priests, how good it is to have one sent by your Bishop. If his homilies are not what you are used to, it has been recommended that one takes a note pad and jots down the three main points of each homily. Reflecting on them outside of the mass will reveal that there was more content than first appeared.

Whether he is easy to get along with, or remote and detached, our Lord appears in his hands at each mass.

I’m confused…I assumed that using a metal chalice would be a good change. But after reading the last post I’m not sure if you think this is a good change or not. Do you mind clarifying? Thanks :slight_smile:

I do not know the rubrics, but they may call for metal. If so, then it is a good change. Just couldn't tell if the OP liked the change or not.

They do call for precious metal for chalices, patens and ciboria.

We have a fairly new priest in out parish as well. I can't decide what to make of him though. He implemented the new changes to the mass to perfection and also the mass is now sung which is nice IMO.

However, his homilies are borderline heretical. He makes it very clear that it's almost impossible for anyone to go to hell and that no matter what we do, Jesus loves us and will forgive us...so don't worry.

While I'll admit that I find and sometimes wish for universal salvation, which he seems to believe, it just doesn't hold up to scripture and tradition.

He mocks those who believe that the mass should be more reverent.

His homilies are all the same:

Live for others, but if you don't, that's ok, Jesus loves you.

I like our new priest who has been with us for about a year. Normally I wouldn’t even know him yet :slight_smile: Be just about working up to a confession may be and already had 3.5 with this one as one wasn’t really confession situation but wanted that approach to what had previously happend. But with Serving meant had that bit more communication with him and had to say some things to him before gossip got ahead of me etc, and one thing and another I like him and liked the early changes he has made in our church. He’s made it possible for me to talk to him too in a way I can access which has helped me spiritually too. The hardest part for me to believe is that is he really going to stay the contract time because over the last 25 years he be the first one to do so if he does, literally. The last priest leaving very suddenly, we didn’t have any time to prepare as at the end of the service he told us that was his last one… (we know why but refuse to share here).

New priests are good because they bring about change and at first the change may seem unsettling. But for any changes he does make, if you are unsure then use the opportunity to speak to him about it. Not accusingly to him. But simply because you are unsure. It will help build up a connection between you too. Hope you get to know him soon.

Doesn’t really matter to me. I’m more concerned about what is in the chalice. :wink:

[quote="po18guy, post:3, topic:289946"]
A few thoughts. Maybe he is fearful of breakage and spillage. Maybe he just likes metal vessels. Either way, why not invite him to lunch or dinner, just to get to know him? IMO, a priest should never have to worry about what or where he will eat. He should be turning down invitations after mass because he has too many others.

I will bet that when Saint Paul departed from an area, and left it to Timothy or Titus, many were also apprehensive about changes. Since many parishes no longer have Priests, how good it is to have one sent by your Bishop. If his homilies are not what you are used to, it has been recommended that one takes a note pad and jots down the three main points of each homily. Reflecting on them outside of the mass will reveal that there was more content than first appeared.

Whether he is easy to get along with, or remote and detached, our Lord appears in his hands at each mass.

[/quote]

I always make goodies for the priest. I had a major falling out with the old priest so it's awesome we have a new one. I thought it might be a fresh start. I went to Confession and due to what happened I have been deep in self-hatred and cannot seem to believe I deserve a 2nd chance. The former priest treated me pretty rough so I figured this would be a new start and I would "behave" and things would be better. Well when I just mildly mentioned in confession that one of my sins seems to be worse when I'm wrestling with self-hatred and that I had a falling out with the former priest he went, "Uh huh" and it almost sounded like he already knew about it. I'm not sure if he does or not and was hesitant to ask. So...not sure. I am going to 2 different parishes, one very contemporary and my home parish is very traditional and I like both. The contemporary priest has been a priest for 35 years and seems comfortable handling my issues. I just miss my family at my home parish. --I guess time will tell if the new priest will be a good change. He is rapidly changing things, most I like and are relatively minor--one or two I don't like but are not big deal.

It just doesn't seem like my home parish, seems strange. But for me, having the issues we had, I'm glad for the change. He is very very detail and list oriented and that makes my heart sing as I am OCD and I was repeatedly driven crazy by the former priest's total lack of planning. I love that things will be organized better.

Lorrie

In the Anglican Church Priests all tell us they come to the Parish not knowing anything what has previously happend etc and none of us are ever convinced this is true though they all say the same.

But once at the parish some parishioners will gossip more than others and he may well know, not out of maliciousness but out of thoughtlessness of parishioners who mean well but.

But equally he mayn't know anything at all and perhaps didn't really want to comment on what another priest did and didn't do perhaps and may be about to say that or something. I had to tell this priest things about me before gossip got there and he told me what he thought if anyone did try and about a month later in a sermon he was very strong on that he didn't want to hear about us talking about each other to him and said the specific words he told me, I suddenly realised very warily but took comfort in that at least he had it from me and that he wasn't going to listen to gossip and has been very good to me all the time. so I don't know if anyone had tried to tell him but all I know that this priest is getting to know us individually rather than what people want to tell us. It may well be that he was simply hoping you weren't going to go down the route of blaming others and you didn't and was working out how to get you back to the present confession if you were going to go off track. That may have been all.

[quote="Newbie2, post:9, topic:289946"]
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm more concerned about what is in the chalice. ;)

[/quote]

It should matter. Glass chalices or Ciboriums are illicit.

Only non-breakable materials, and they should be at least lined with precious metals.

God Bless

[quote="bilop, post:12, topic:289946"]
It should matter. Glass chalices or Ciboriums are illicit.

Only non-breakable materials, and they should be at least lined with precious metals.

God Bless

[/quote]

I should be more concerned about the chalice than the contents?

Moot point anyway, we're going for the gold again. :D

[quote="Newbie2, post:13, topic:289946"]
I should be more concerned about the chalice than the contents?

[/quote]

If it is really God in there, then should His throne be made of cheap throw-away or breakable material? What we contain Him in shows what we think of Him.

Moot point anyway, we're going for the gold again. :D

:thumbsup:

Cheap throw-away...agreed. Fine crystal....breakable, no doubt, but still reverant methinks (besides not being acceptable per liturgical rubrics ;) )

Anywho, I'm glad we're going back to gold, even though I had a near-drop yesterday. While I was EMHCing, a kid put his hands up like he was taking the chalice, then didn't take the chalice (I guess he had expected me to hold it and tip it for him). I had let go and still do not know how I managed not to drop it. Divine intervention, perhaps.

It would have been quite embarrasing to be the first one to drop a chalice on the first day our new priest was there. :blush: Yikes. Very close call.

Ah. Thank you. Was wondering about that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.