New Roman Missal

When is the new translation of the Roman Missal set for release?

… and will it be a Sunday Missal and Daily Missal, or will it be both Sunday and Daily Missal?

I had missals (1975 - 1999) and loved them. I continued to use them for probably two years after they had ‘expired’. The only reason I stopped was the translation in the new Liturgy was not the same as in the old missal.

I have been trying to find a missal, and think that I would prefer to keep Sunday and Daily separate, only, move ALL Holy Days of Obligation to the Sunday missal.

Ok, maybe have those masses in both books.

I really don’t even like using the missalette in mass. I do wish that I knew better how to find the prayers for the mass - and often wonder would I be better off not using the missal, if I am reading along and that is a problem for the celebrant.

(Usually, I keep up just fine. Sometimes, though, if it’s a daily mass, and a Feast and they are doing special readings, or if there is just some other change and I don’t know where they are, it’s a problem)

I was surprised to see the many different missals available, and they not all be ‘the same’ (as much as all the different translations of the bible are the same)

I’m sorry for being less specific. I am wondering about the new translation. Instead of “and also with you” it will be “and with your spirit”. Do you know when those changes will be start. It is a new translation of the Missale Romanum.

The latest I’ve heard is that to new English translation of the Missale Romanum will be in effect around Advent (December) 2008 at the earliest.

The bishops are wanting to wait until the entire Missal is approved before authorizing the use of the “Ordinary of the Mass.”

I think that, besides the Ordinary, some of the Propers have been approved as well by the Holy See (the “recognitio”).

A new story on this by John Thavis at catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0705155.htm :
“After meeting at the Vatican Sept. 2-6, the Vox Clara Committee said it hoped the English translation of the Roman Missal would be completed and approved by the end of 2009.”

Then books need to be published. Education needs to be done. So 2010 would seem the earliest.

I’m very happy they are revising the Roman Missal to make the English translations more accurate to the Latin. It’s much better this way. :slight_smile:

I bought my current Daily Roman Missal in 2004 fearing that it would be quickly made obsolete, but tired of dealing with missalettes. 2010? Six years? I’m glad I didn’t wait.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.