New Rosary Mysteries

This has probably been discussed before, but, I want to know if any of the traditionalist Catholics here pray the Luminous Mysteries.

If this is a heated subject, I don’t want slander. I don’t know how volitile this subject is, but, I know this folder can get a bit passionate at times in regards to the love of God.

I don’t pray them, and I don’t think Pope John Paul 2 should have added them.

This article gives a number of reasons why not.

At our parish after daily morning Mass, some of us stay to pray 5 decades the Rosary together each day . We’re extremely blessed in having one of our priests join us. On Thursdays we pray the Luminous Mysteries.

However , when praying privately at other times during the day, if I have just completed the Joyful Mysteries, I usually move directly to the Sorrowful Mysteries next … just because that’s the way I am accustomed to doing it. I see pros and cons. We didn’t really have any mysteries to meditate on the public life of our Blessed Lord before the Luminous mysteries … In retrospect , it appears as a bit of a jump going immediately from His being **Found in the Temple **to His Agony in the Garden. I find the Luminous Mysteries nicely fill in a gap, in this sense.

But if I’m praying the joyful Mysteries privately and am already anticipating the Sorrowful as the proceeding set of mysteries, I don’t let anything interrupt or interfere with that.

I’d have to check, but from what I remember reading back when the Luminous Mysteries were first promulgated, I believe the Holy Father requested we pray those mysteries on Thursdays and that the Joyful be prayed on Saturdays. Of course, if we’re praying more than 5 decades a day, we’re going to be praying other Mysteries anyway.:shrug:

:slight_smile:

I’ve prayed the rosary for a while now but just started meditating on the mysteries. I include the Luminious. :slight_smile:

I do pray them, but it makes absolutely no sense to me (and many others) why they were placed on Thursdays. Who decided this?

The Holy Father stated in Rosarium Virginis Mariae:

…for the Rosary to become more fully a “compendium of the Gospel”, it is fitting to add, following reflection on the Incarnation and the hidden life of Christ (the joyful mysteries) and before focusing on the sufferings of his Passion (the sorrowful mysteries) and the triumph of his Resurrection (the glorious mysteries), a meditation on certain particularly significant moments in his public ministry (the mysteries of light).

So, the Holy father recommended that the Luminous Mysteries be placed between the Joyful and the Sorrowful Mysteries. Sticking them in on Thursdays does not fulfill that, so Saturday, would seem to be the most fitting day, if we are going to change the order at all.

Right, should be Tuesdays then, the most logical day. Also, it should go into the “rotation” on Sundays for Ordinary Time since the Mysteries are a part of Ordinary Time. So Sundays of Ordinary Time should be Luminous, Advent is Joyful, Lent is Sorrowful and Easter (Easter Sunday to Pentecost Sunday) should be Glorious.

Thats just my two cents into the bucket.

SO, TCG,

I know we have disagreements about some other issues, but perhaps we could unite on this one. To whom can we write? Any ideas?

So, TCG,

I know we have disagreements about some other issues, but perhaps we could unite on this one. To whom can we write? Any ideas?

Absolutely, the Rosary is praying the Gospel.

The addition added “Light” to our reading of the Rosary

The Luminious contain:

Jesus’ Baptism
The Wedding at Cana
The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God
The Transfiguration
The Institution of the Eucharist

rosary-center.org/luminous.htm

It makes sense to recite the Luminious on Holy Thursday, the day that the Eucharist was instituted.

Couldn’t you just pray them any day you like?

Yes you can.

Toward Lent & Easter it would make sense to say the Sorrowful on Good Friday. The Luminous on Holy Thursday. The Glorious on Sunday.

I pray them.

Of course! But it would be nice if a good idea is propagated somehow.

@HCC,
I don’t know who’s in charge of how the Rosary is prayed or who assigned the suggested schedule.

I see what you’re saying in post #7, but if you might permit me to drop one cent in the bucket as it pertains to how we view the Liturgical Year, (and concerning only the above quoted part of the post) :

Every Sunday is an Easter celebration. That’s a principal reason why even on Sundays during Lent we aren’t required to fast . So , we’re better to go “Glorious Mysteries” on Sundays. .

Sunday=Resurrection

:slight_smile:

Concerning the Luminous Mysteries–
I’m willing to read and think them through, to reflect on them.
But I don’t pray them.
Keeping the first three groups in mind is quite enough for me.

I agree with Shin on this one. I do not say the Luminous Mysteries. I have no plans on starting either. I feel that JPII did us a dis-service by messing around with one of the last things that remained from pre-Vat II.

Yes, I do pray them.

I love them, too.

FWIF… what little it’s worth…

I think by just setting a day for the Luminous mysteries people are actually not doing what Pope John Paul indicated, that is, gather up all sorts of mysteries of their own invention and put them wherever they want. He just took a first step there as a model, was the message I got from him introducing them. He wanted it seemed, people using the rosary to meditate on everything under the sun directly using mysteries other than the traditional.

Needless to say the wishes of other Popes are expressed against making changes.

I prayed them myself a few times, trying them out, before I learned more about the reasons to retain the traditional role – and more about tradition in general.

Everything has its proper place. Even something good not in its proper place, is not fitting. We can easily meditate on what is in the ‘Luminous Mysteries’ one way or another branching off meditations from the traditional mysteries, not making them the primary mysteries, changing the relationship to the 150 psalms, and encouraging all sorts of other primary meditations.

A great way to make traditions disappear is to change them, or to add ‘good’ things to them, to the point where they are constantly in flux. I.E. no more unity in the rosary, wherever you go, they could be meditating on who knows what mysteries… on who knows what day. .

So… tradition. There’ve been enough changes and options and constant flux. There’re reasons things are done a certain way. Often you may not ever know all the good reasons, but they still help you. Often, you only know more of them, once you change things for a ‘good’ reason and then discover you lost something in the change too.

I’ve never liked that the Rosary was added to, but I do pray them and do think they are ‘good’ mysteries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.