New show "up all night"

Anyone seen this?

I saw about one minute of it after something or other else was on. I also heard a clip on the radio as part of an interview with one of the stars. I decided it wasn't really my thing; My wife and I are currently doing the up all night thing myself with a baby, and the little bits of the show I saw/heard didn't really inspire me to watch any more of it. But I'm curious overall if it has a positive spin with respect to parenthood. Also I wonder how far in advance they have thought it through - that phase of raising kids passes pretty quickly, so I wonder if this is a concept that can last more than half a TV season?

Are you referring to the new US television series which is appearing on NBC?
nbc.com/up-all-night/

I don't watch television so I can't comment, but I am glad to see Maya Rudolph in a regular series. I just hope they use her well.

I just endured a few minutes of the trailer on NBC.com, and I would really rather be water boarded than have to watch this inane dribble. "Our baby is so 'bleeping' beautiful"... "So #%#@!# cute!". Asinine.

I have always loved Christina Applegate since her debut on "Heart of the City" in 1986. But to see the previews for this show I was unimpressed. To me, it seemed as if this show was designed to appeal to young adults who hate babies and all the humor would be based on "augh having this baby is horrible what a mistake we made!"

But then I actually watched the show, and I was proven wrong, dead wrong. This is a couple who truly loves their baby and they are doing everything possible to make it work in the face of adversity. Dad has sacrificed a lucrative career to stay at home with the baby and Mom is trying to juggle her own career with being a loving mother. Maya Rudolph, as her boss, is the one who can't quite understand what it is to have a child.

Overall I thought this is a cute show with some good writing and laughs. The actors are top-notch. I suggest giving it a watch to see what you think.

[quote="Elizium23, post:4, topic:256417"]
I have always loved Christina Applegate since her debut on "Heart of the City" in 1986. But to see the previews for this show I was unimpressed. To me, it seemed as if this show was designed to appeal to young adults who hate babies and all the humor would be based on "augh having this baby is horrible what a mistake we made!"

But then I actually watched the show, and I was proven wrong, dead wrong. This is a couple who truly loves their baby and they are doing everything possible to make it work in the face of adversity. Dad has sacrificed a lucrative career to stay at home with the baby and Mom is trying to juggle her own career with being a loving mother. Maya Rudolph, as her boss, is the one who can't quite understand what it is to have a child.

Overall I thought this is a cute show with some good writing and laughs. The actors are top-notch. I suggest giving it a watch to see what you think.

[/quote]

Yeah, I kinda figured it was not just going to be the usual "babies are a lot of work" kind of thing, that there would be some underlying positive or at least feel-good message. I still wonder for the writers if it will be a challenge to keep it going beyond the "up all night" stage of infants, which lasts a few months. Maybe they will need to change the name of the series as the child grows? Until the child is a teenager, then "up all night" works again...

I watched the premier on Wednesday and was really looking forward to it because I adore Maya Rudolph. I didn't laugh once.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.