New 'Star Wars'-based religion spreading among Christians, Turkish authorities say

The popular movie franchise “Star Wars” has legions of fans around the world, but in Turkey, religious authorities are warning against the supposed spread of a religion based on these films, especially among Christians.

Turkey’s Directorate of Religious Affairs, or Diyanet—the country’s top religious body—recently launched a campaign against the so-called “Jedi religion,” saying this belief system based on “Star Wars” films run contrary to Islamic teachings.

“Jediism … is spreading today in Christian societies. Around 70,000 people in Australia and 390,000 people in England currently define themselves as Jedis,” Marmara University Assistant Professor Bilal Yorulmaz wrote in the latest edition of the Diyanet’s monthly magazine.

christiantoday.com/article/new.star.wars.based.religion.spreading.among.christians.turkish.authorities.say/63043.htm

The difference between Force and farce is just one letter. I wonder how many of those thousands the article claims truly accept as their religion a story pieced together by George Lucas, and how many of them are just using this idea to thumb their noses at traditional religion.

Sort of like the Pastafarians?

Hey, some people actually believe they were touched by His Noodly Appendage…

Some people just use it as a way to stick a finger up at government for wanting to know on a census form what religion people are. Religion being a private matter and the state having no grounds keeping track of what you believe. In the UK the government refused to put that option on the census form for a long time but finally bowed to pressure.

It doesn’t count if it wasn’t anointed with pesto.

Apparently that’s one of the points of contention between the Greek Orzodox and the Ramen Catholics.

Seems the Agnocchists have no opinion one way or the other. :shrug:

:rotfl:

You know much more about this sort of thing than I do.

Ramen Catholics! :smiley:

Bravo, sir. :bowdown2:

The force is already with me. The Holy Spirit. :slight_smile:

Diyanet should avoid the paranoid…May the force be with you! And with you! Amen.

I worked on the development team for the UK Census. Jedi is still not one of the choices allowed (never will be), and it is tallied as “other”. We can’t be bothered with classifying every lamebrained response we get from the masses.

I know. It’s hard to keep track of them all.

The Orzodox split over the procession of the Holy Sprali, the Pastatent Reformation started over Sola Fideo*, Oneness Pennecostals deny the Holy Trenette, etc.

*Martin Lutefisk himself broke over Sola Gravlax, but most Pastafarians agree his theology is somewhat fishy.

:tiphat: Thank you, thank you. I’m here all week. Try the veal, folks, it’s great. Don’t forget to tip your waitress.

:thumbsup:

Awesome :thumbsup:

That may be what they say. What they mean, however, is that ‘jediism’ is spreading among people from historically Christian nations. I doubt that ‘jediism’ is spreading significantly among Christians.

And ‘jediism’ isn’t really a religion (at least for most of the people involved). As Cirdan XII points out, this is about people protesting governmental registration of religious belief, as they deem it a private matter.

I don’t agree that religion is merely a private matter, but that is most ‘jediism’ is about. Though I do agree that in the wrong hands, governmental registration of religious belief can, or probably will, lead to persecution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.