New Strain of MRSA Spreads Among Gay Men

Is this another sign from God warning us about the danger of embracing homosexuality in this country? It seems as though nature itself is trying to stop it.

A new, highly drug-resistant strain of MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, has moved outside hospitals and is now spreading among gay men, researchers reported Monday.

Some of the hardest hit areas are San Francisco, Boston, New York and Los Angeles, according to a San Francisco Chronicle report.

In regards to San Francisco, the study found sexually active gay men are 13 times more likely to be infected than the general population.

“We probably had it here first, and now it is spreading elsewhere,” said Binh An Diep, a researcher at San Francisco General Hospital and lead author of the report, in a news release. “This is a national problem, and San Francisco is at the epicenter.”

Although researchers have stopped short of declaring this form of staph a sexually transmitted disease, the infections are found where skin-to-skin contact occurs during sexual activity.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), MRSA is responsible for about 19,000 deaths annually in America — most of which occur in the hospital.

The findings appear online in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

I prefer not to think about it that way, since the same logic could say that Katrina was God’s punishment to that community. I prefer to argue about the ethics of homosexual conduct on a philosophical or theological basis, as opposed to some sort of supernatural intervention. Because let’s face it, we as humans cannot fully understand anything like that.

Well let’s look at this from a purely natural point of view. If everyone in the world suddenly decided to follow the teachings of the Church regarding sexual activity regardless of faith, what would happen? What would happen if everyone decided all sexual activity was only to be between one man and one woman within marriage? Within one generation we would pretty much do away with all std’s, unwanted pregnancies, abortion, and the divorce rate would plummet. Nature itself wants us to be fruitful and multiply, and the fact of the matter is, regardless of faith, homosexual activity has destroyed thousands of human lives, yet never created a single one.

Enoch, you have an excellent point. Why is it that STD’s are only spread through having sex with multiple partners? Why is it that AIDS is suspect to developed because of the gay community? Could there not be some type of divine intervention here?

One cannot say for sure, because we cannot know what God has planned for us without God telling us.

:smiley: Yes, sometimes the simple plan works best.

The antibiotic resistant MRSA is also moving through gyms (even in schools) because of the possibility of people with even minor cuts and scrapes coming in contact with sweat, blood, spit, etc of someone who might be effected.

I agree that following the Church’s teaching on sexual purity, shields us from many physical ailments. However, like HIV/AIDS, the problem is bigger than that now. :frowning:

I in no way meant to refute what you are saying. What I have a problem with however is trying explain a phenomenon in a way that suggests that we somehow have an understanding of God’s divine retribution/plan whatever. For yes indeed I believe that if everyone followed Church teaching, what you say would happen. But say a flue epidemic occurred, we have no basis to say why God has done this. We cannot fathom what He is doing. (see Job or Jonah) For example, if a fire burns down a church, I believe it happened for a reason. But I wouldn’t proclaim that God must have done it to punish to unworthy parishioners or priest. It is instead best to think of these things abstractly by way of Natural Law and philosophy and theology. All of which man has the natural capability to grasp.

I agree. Please don’t think that I’m looking at this strictly as a “punishment” thing. Was the black plague punishment for something? Was it a warning sign? I don’t know, but I do know it was a part of God’s plan for humanity, either to correct something or draw out a greater good. God is incapable of committing evil, but He will allow it and then use it to bring fourth His plan. The mysteries run deep.:hmmm:

So using the OP’s logic…what is the rate MRSA is speading among lesbian women? Is it higher or about the same as the general population? If it’s not up in the double digits, should we assume that God is not displeased with lesbians as he is with gay men?

Interesting theology and understanding of how God works.

Woah woah.

Question.

Mr. Smith, a Judo instructor and champion self-defense guru, is walking home from work one day when he sees a lady being mugged and beaten in the street by a couple of thugs. She begs for help from any stranger who can hear her, but Mr. Smith just walks on by, not even bothering to call the police.

Didn’t Mr. Smith just do something terrible?

If God “is incapable of doing evil” then shouldn’t he, oh, I don’t know, answer people’s prayers every now and then?

Personally, I think this whole “divine plan” thing is tripe. You see design where there isn’t. You see a benevolent God where there’s nothing but your imagination. Pray for a good thing to happen and it happens and it’s God’s plan. Pray for deliverance from suffering, but it doesn’t happen, and it’s *still *God’s plan.

I bet if the world was suddenly struck by a catastrophic asteroid - even if the entire world was praying from deliverance from God - and 99% of the human race died, you’d thank God for the 1% that did and say it was all part of “his mysterious plan”. In fact, it probably doesn’t even *matter *what happens, you’ll go on to continue believing no matter what. Your belief is impossible to verify one way or the other, and for all you really know, you might as well be praying to a wooden statue.

And regarding the new strain of the terrible-gay-killing-disease; you’re probably right. Rampant sexual activity makes the spread of disease easier. But guess what? Not all gay people are like that. Most (oh wait, all) of the gay people that I know are pretty normal people with steady relationships and serial monogamy (much like normal heterosexuals!).

Are there really promiscious gay people out there who go to gay orgies and such? Sure there are. But that doesn’t mean that it has anything to do with God’s plan.

(And by the way, the “Outbreaks have been reported among athletes, prisoners, and military recruits; risk factors include sharing close quarters and personal hygiene products like razors or towels. Infections are increasingly being seen in the general community and have been reported in schools, gyms, and even day care centers.” I guess God is punishing gym clubs too. =/)

I think it’s another sign that the anus is not designed for sexual intercourse

Read Luke 10:30-37.
Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, `Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.'
Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” He said, “The one who showed mercy on him.” And Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

God will always draw a greater good out of personal sins of omission even if our finite minds cannot comprehend what is going on at the time. What if someone who hated that woman walked by after “Mr. Judo”, took pity on her, and helped her? Not only would she be helped, but a damaged relationship would be reconciled. A greater good than if Mr. Judo would have helped.

Your problem is that you are attempting to understand what is not understandable. As soon as you attempt to define God or any sort of abstract cosmic event with human terms or human morality, you are at an inherent disadvantage. For example, you might say that by allowing mass destruction to occur in New Orleans, God is either ignoring these people, or He is non-existent. The reality is that this event is no basis for judging God or proving anything about God at all. We as humans are naturally incapable of understanding such things in the abstract way that God would. So what may look like non-existence or ignoring prayers to you may be something very different to God. If 99% of the world’s population died, it happened for a reason. But we will never know what the reason was and using it to prove either the existence or non-existence or action or in-action of God is subject to a never ending chain of circular logic.

As cited in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine? :eek: :smiley:

Maybe, but it’d be interesting to see how that relates to the rate of HIV or STD in such men, which I’d guess is addressed in the journal.

Why does a God like this deserving of any of our attention at all?

He reminds me of a deadbeat dad; he made us and then ditched us.

You have missed my point completely.

Well then… Thanks for sharing your private opinion. Whatever it was.

Who said anything about being ditched? God is not your deadbeat dad. You can’t understand God. So why try and fathom what He does? Why not instead occupy yourself with what can be understood, like Natural Law.

If I need to build a house, I cut down trees to clear the property. By doing this, I have probably killed millions of bugs or rendered them homeless. Without cutting down the trees, I would not be able to build my house. If I try to explain this to the bugs however, they will not understand. Similarly, we cannot hope to understand what God does or why He does it.

It is admittedly a poor example, but I am sure you understand my meaning.

So God kills and destroys all around him for his own Good, who care who he destroys. This is your example. I think you may need to reexamine this belief.

Yes, but let’s keep this in perspective. Even in the highest incidence neighborhood, it is affecting less than 1/5 of 1% of people.
sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/14/MNI5UE0L8.DTL

[quote=JKRunner88]Why is it that AIDS is suspect to developed because of the gay community?
[/quote]

It isn’t suspected of that, at least by mainstream scientists.

[quote=JKRunner88]Could there not be some type of divine intervention here?
[/quote]

The Lord works in mysterious ways, so we can’t rule it out, but I suspect that your first sentence is correct – STDs are transmitted because of sex with multiple partners. This outbreak is just an example of a well-established occurrence.

[quote=Exalt]If God “is incapable of doing evil” then shouldn’t he, oh, I don’t know, answer people’s prayers every now and then?
[/quote]

And He does. Such interventions, if observed would be classified as miracles - but if we never were aware of the changes He brought about we would assume He didn’t do anything special.

I think the rise of MRSA, like the problem of chronic starvation despite a glut of food in the world, is God’s way of making us take responsibility for each other. He doesn’t suspend the operation of the laws of nature because we have dominion over this world and need to learn to act responsibly. We need to protect the well-being of all humans, not just the ones in our hometown, or our ethnic group or our nation or whatever.

MRSA, like XDR tuberculosis, is a problem we all face, regardless of community.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.