New stupid question

I seem to only come on here to ask kind of strange questions. If you read my previous one, you know I go to the bizarre Catholic Church and I don’t want to but I do. In fact, I decided based on some advice here, to just ignore everyone which seems to work since they were already ignoring me and go for the sacrament of Mass. That includes the priest who I now look at as someone who performs a necessary function or functions if you count all the sacraments.

So yesterday I was reading the daily reading online which I do every morning and I thought “This is about the Ascensions. Is this a Holy Day of Obligation.” I have a Catholic calendar. The bizarre church actually does give them out. I decided to not check because if I didn’t know then I didn’t have to deal with finding out when the Mass was which would probably be some bizarre time no one can go except 90 year old people with less of a life than I have. I do read the bulletin and there was nothing in there about a Holy Day or when the Masses were.

I did look today and sure enough, it was a Holy Day. So is it a serious sin since I actually didn’t know albeit because I didn’t check? I actually did totally forget about it later in the morning. But I could have checked when I read the readings.

In most dioceses, this feast is moved to this Sunday so you would not have an obligation to attend yesterday.
The Bishop can move this feast day for his diocese. If it wasn’t listed in your bulletin as such, then be assured it is probably moved to this Sunday and you did nothing wrong.
IF in fact you are in a diocese in which the Bishop didn’t move it to this Sunday, and were never told, then you still did nothing wrong because for it to be a mortal sin, you have to know it first.
Be at peace.

From: catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/f/Ascension_Holy.htm:

Today, only the ecclesiastical provinces of Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and Omaha (the state of Nebraska) continue to celebrate the Ascension of Our Lord on Thursday. The faithful in those provinces (an ecclesiastical province is basically one large archdiocese and the dioceses that are historically associated with it) are required, under the Precepts of the Church, to attend Mass on Ascension Thursday.

If you do a search at your diocese’s webpage for Holy Days of Obligation, you should find something like this: arlingtondiocese.org/worship/worship_holy_days.aspx. There, you should find specific information about whether or not the Ascension of the Lord has been moved to the following Sunday. :slight_smile:

The only Holy Days of Obligations in the United States are Christmas (Dec. 25), Mary the Mother of God (Jan. 1), Assumption (Aug. 15), All Saints Day (Nov. 1) and Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8) anyway.

The Ascension of Our Lord is also a Holy Day of Obligation. It just so happens that, for the majority of US Latin Catholics, Ascension has been transferred from the Thursday of the sixth week of Easter to the following Sunday.

See page 25 in this document: usccb.org/about/divine-worship/liturgical-calendar/upload/2014cal.pdf

Unless you live in the Northeast or in Nebraska, yesterday was not the celebration of the Ascension. That will take place on Sunday.

Now that your question seems to have been adequately answered, may I humbly suggest that, in the future, you include in the title of your posts words which give a clue to the matter at hand rather than the self-deprecating “New Stupid Question.” It would help others when searching topics in the forum, among other things. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone. I didn’t know that. @Boswell, I would change the topic title but I can’t figure out how to edit it. Sorry.

Welcome!
I would also humbly suggest, that you cut your parish a little slack. You may not approve of understand some of the policies, local customs, etc. of the parish, but you might want to approach it with a little more kindness of heart.
Jesus does reside there in the Tabernacle, you know. :slight_smile:
May God bless you abundantly, today and always,
Peace!

If you’re in the United States (or even if you’re not but you’d like to see the present arrangement there), here’s also a look at a comparison:

The website of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) prominently provides the texts of daily readings (this link will redirect to the specific page for the current day).

The page for May 29, 2014 links to options for “The Ascension of the Lord” and “Thursday of the Sixth Week of Easter”; you can look at both and see the difference. (The “Thursday” readings are part of a continuity with the readings for the corresponding “Wednesday” and “Friday.”)

I don’t know where you were doing your daily readings, but a reliable local source is certainly helpful. :wink:

Besides the points here, with which I agree, I wish to emphasize one of the possible “other things.”

Maybe I haven’t been looking in the right places, but I’ve never seen a self-labeled “stupid question” that I’d actually consider a stupid question. This thread is no exception. I wish to avoid the implication that people with this question or similar questions have “stupid questions” and therefore either apologize while posting them or refrain entirely from posting them. This forum is set up on different premises. :slight_smile:

only the ecclesiastical provinces of Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and Omaha (the state of Nebraska

So everyone knows, the following dioceses are part of the 6 Provinces listed above:

Provinces of Boston includes:
Archdiocese of Boston
Diocese of Burlington
Diocese of Fall River
Diocese of Manchester
Diocese of Portland
Diocese of Springfield in Massachusetts
Diocese of Worcester

Province of Hartford includes:
Archdiocese of Hartford
Diocese of Bridgeport
Diocese of Norwich
Diocese of Providence

Province of New York includes:
Archdiocese of New York
Diocese of Albany
Diocese of Brooklyn
Diocese of Buffalo
Diocese of Ogdensburg
Diocese of Rochester
Diocese of Rockville Centre
Diocese of Syracuse

Province of Newark includes:
Archdiocese of Newark
Diocese of Camden
Diocese of Metuchen
Diocese of Paterson
Diocese of Trenton

Province of Philadelphia includes:
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Diocese of Allentown
Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown
Diocese of Erie
Diocese of Greensburg
Diocese of Harrisburg
Diocese of Pittsburgh
Diocese of Scranton

Province of Omaha includes:
Archdiocese of Omaha
Diocese of Grand Island
Diocese of Lincoln

God Bless.

For reasons stated by others, no, it wasn’t a mortal sin. But, if you intentionally don’t look for necessary knowledge about a moral issue, it is called vincible, willful ignorance and it actually adds to the grave nature of your sin.

New Advent:
[LIST]*]When ignorance is deliberately aimed at and fostered, it is said to be affected, not because it is pretended, but rather because it is sought for by the agent so that he may not have to relinquish his purpose. Ignorance which practically no effort is made to dispel is termed crass or supine.
*]Consequent ignorance, on the other hand, is so called because it is the result of a perverse frame of mind choosing, either directly or indirectly, to be ignorant.
*]Vincible ignorance, being in some way voluntary, does not permit a man to escape responsibility for the moral deformity of his deeds; he is held to be guilty and in general the more guilty in proportion as his ignorance is more voluntary. Hence, the essential thing to remember is that the guilt of an act performed or omitted in vincible ignorance is not to be measured by the intrinsic malice of the thing done or omitted so much as by the degree of negligence discernible in the act.
*]Vincible and consequent ignorance about the duties of our state of life or the truths of faith necessary for salvation is, of course, sinful.[/LIST]

In contrast, since I am Byzantine Catholic, our Holy Days of Obligation in addition to all Sundays, are slightly different, and there are five in the USA:

1. Instead of the Solemnity of Mary (Jan 1) we have Theophany (Jan 6)
  2. The Ascension is not transferred to Thursday.
    All Saints Day is on Sunday after Pentecost.
  3. The Feast of Apostles Peter and Paul is a Holy Day of Obligation but The Feast of the Immaculate Conception is not.
  4. The Assumption is called the Dormition.
  5. Christmas is a Holy Day of Obligation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.