New Testament history - help, please

I understand a copy of Mark was found sealed in a clay pot container dated 65ad. The find was among the Dead Sea scrolls, I believe. This is before the generally accepted date for Mark’s composition.
Can anyone direct me to information on this subject?
Edgar Davie

It has been argued that one fragment in the dead sea scrolls is from Mark’s Gospel, 6:52-53. If it is, then we need either to date the gospel earlier or to say that the fragment is connected to one source Mark used.

Apparently the fragment is tiny, needs lots of reconstruction and all the Greek words are incomplete except for one - ‘and’ (kai). Personally I think the argument is a long shot but who knows?

This has a paragraph about it:

nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Dead-Sea-scrolls

For much more information try:

ptet.dubar.com/bible-7q5.html

That’s pretty good. It shows a picture of the fragment and gives the for and against arguments. Or look up “dead sea scrolls Mark 7Q5” on Google for lots more sites

A Spanish scholar, Jose O’Callahan, claimed that fragments from Cave 7 at Quran were portions of New Testament books: Mark, Acts, 1 Timothy, James, and 2 Peter. Several of the pieces are tiny and contain but a few letters. The largest is 2.7 by 1.3 ins.

O’Callahan’s claims are refuted and considered to be more speculative. As far as a copy of Mark, the reference volume I consulted makes no mention of such a document.

“The Meaning of the Dead Sea Scrolls” by James VanderKam and Peter Flint; Copy right 2002.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

As far as general overviews of the excellent reliability and early dating of the New Testament, here are three great books:

F.F. Bruce, The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?

Gary Habermas, The Historical Jesus

Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

I am with Savone and Asteroid on this one. It is a very long shot to claim that a mere fragment of a document proves the eistence of an entire Gospel of Mark.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.