New Testament, Studying

Hello.

I’m studying the Bible these days.

Especially, I am going to study about the New Testament, and the book I have is ‘Einleung in das Neue Testament by Martin Ebner’. And I would like to buy one more book.

The book I have found is 'Introduction to the New Testament by Raymond Brown, but there seems to be a lot of criticism.

I am looking for a book written in a Catholic perspective that covers each books of New Testament in a wide and detailed way.

Do you have any recommendations?

The Sacra Pagina series may be more than you’re looking for, but you might care to have a look at one or two of the volumes in the series to see what you think. Several of the authors are Jesuits: for many people that would be a recommendation, though admittedly not for everybody. Each of the longer NT books has a volume to itself: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Cor., 2 Cor., Galatians, Hebrews, James, and Revelation, while the others are grouped in twos or threes, e.g. a single volume covering 1 & 2 Peter and Jude. There are eighteen volumes altogether, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Sacra-Pagina-Gospel-Timothy-Johnson/dp/0814659667/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544104144&sr=1-1&keywords=sacra+pagina

Hiya,

I have literally just placed an Amazon order myself for this book:

https://www.ignatius.com/promotions/catholic-study-bible/

Years in the making, this is the only Catholic Study Bible based on the Revised Standard Version 2nd Catholic Edition. Utilizing the penetrating study tools developed by renowned Bible teachers Dr. Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch, this volume presents the written Word of God in a highly readable, accurate translation, excellent for personal and group study.

I’ve only heard good things about it!

Thank you so much!

Sorry but,
Are there any Introductory books which covers each books of New Testament in general?

I found ‘An introduction to the New Testament by Raymond Brown’ because of that condition. But many people criticized the book.

This is the one I use. Very detailed and informative.

Brown’s introduction to the NT is a wonderful book, the culmination of his years of studying scripture presented in a readable format. Brown is the mainstream of Catholic scripture scholarship.

It is probably a better complement to Ebner’s work since both are probably working from the same basic scholarly perspective. Brown will give you insight into the assumptions behind the German text.

I would recommend the Navarre Bible which has multiple different books that break down different books of the Bible with commentary and discussion, like a book just on Acts, Psalms, Gospels…

Here is a link to their website, check out their books, I know a priest that really likes them and a deacon who does as well

If you are concerned about Raymond Brown, then I’d recommend the Ignatius Study Bible or Navarre over Sacra Pagina. Sacra Pagnina is a series, anyway, and not just a single book. Both Ignatius and Navarre have a one volume New Testament if you’re looking to just buy a single book rather than a whole series. It’s hard to find both “wide and detailed” and a single book. If you really want to study, you’re going to have to read more than that. There’s no reason not to look at all of the above, provided you can find a way to access them all within your budget.

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture is another good series. By this time next year, they’ll have the entire New Testament done. They only have the volumes on Galatians and 1&2 Thessalonians to go. This is a multi-volume work, though.

When is the Old Testament supposed to be finished?

Pitre and Bergsma have “A Catholic Introduction to the Bible” out, but only the OT volume. It is specifically designed for students in colleges and seminaries, and for grad students.

The last time I asked someone I presumed would know, the answer was 2005. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Some day…

Oh yeah? I’ll have to pick that up.

That does remind me, Bergsma has written “New Testament Basics for Catholics” He doesn’t go into the epistles that much, though.

I guess they are running a little behind schedule then…!!!

The second volume on the NT is in the works.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.