"New Thought" doctrine/philosophy - Unity Church

Hey everyone. A couple of years ago I came across a church called "Unity" that claims to be Christian but which also seemed to be heavily New Age. I did some research and they claim to be a part of the "New Thought" movement. After reading some stuff on their website and such, they essentially scared me away from themselves due to the bizarre nature of what they said. :o For example, I remember reading some of their literature and it involved something about chakras and such. I actually even went to one of their services. Their services didn't seem to be too strange but they were definitely different from a typical Christian church service. The service basically consisted of a guided meditation or something. I haven't been back since.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this church. Is this church a cult or what? They honestly struck me as being rather cult-like. I will definitely never go back to the place. The only thing I can really say about the place that I liked was that the people were friendly but there are a lot of churches where people are friendly.

So anyway, can anyone on here tell me more information about this "Unity Church". Are they a cult? What information should Catholics know about them?

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:278921"]
Hey everyone. A couple of years ago I came across a church called "Unity" that claims to be Christian but which also seemed to be heavily New Age. I did some research and they claim to be a part of the "New Thought" movement. After reading some stuff on their website and such, they essentially scared me away from themselves due to the bizarre nature of what they said. :o For example, I remember reading some of their literature and it involved something about chakras and such. I actually even went to one of their services. Their services didn't seem to be too strange but they were definitely different from a typical Christian church service. The service basically consisted of a guided meditation or something. I haven't been back since.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this church. Is this church a cult or what? They honestly struck me as being rather cult-like. I will definitely never go back to the place. The only thing I can really say about the place that I liked was that the people were friendly but there are a lot of churches where people are friendly.

So anyway, can anyone on here tell me more information about this "Unity Church". Are they a cult? What information should Catholics know about them?

[/quote]

Why did you go there? What were you looking for? Why were you interested in going to their service?

I went there a few years ago. Basically I had fallen away from the Church and was looking for a “church” that would accept me with the extremely liberal beliefs I had adopted at the time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.