New to prayer: need help

Hello all,

I am new to this website and i would love some advice and help about how to pray. I have personal issues that are affecting me, also having no job too whch is a big problem at the moment as we are in a recession. I feel depressed, its on/off, sometimes i feel very low and end up feeling miserable and cant shake it off. Im 22 years old by the way.

Can someone recommend me a prayer. I know about the rosary but need some help with that.

Welcome pixiebell549!
I will pray the Hail Mary prayer for you. You might want to join the Rosary group to learn more about the rosary and get some help with it.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Hi Pixiebell -

Prayer doesn’t have to be a recitation of a formal prayer. You can just talk to God like you would a friend. And after pouring out a bit of your heart, listen to see if any insights seem to come. Prayer is basically a conversation with the Lord, and for a conversation to be “balanced”, we need to listen, too.

God bless you.

How about something like…

My Dear Lord and Savior, Jesus. As you gave your life for me, I now offer my life to you. I invite you into my heart and soul my Dearest God. As a child runs to their parents for help, I now run to you. I know that you are so much larger and more powerful then any problem that I may have, I trust in you completely and know that you will answer my prayers in the way that is best for all. May Your will be done in all things. Amen.

May The Good Lord Bless You And Keep You Always!!

Don’t worry, God Does Love You!!!

NOT JUST STRONG…CATHOLIC STRONG!!!

I have always had a hard time with prayer, myself. It is a constant struggle, and I attribute my several years away from teh Church to my lack of prayer. My problem, more than anything else, is disciplining myself and actually taking the time to pray. Also, sometimes when I do pray, I have trouble focusing, and my mind wanders. Since I have come back, I have tried a number of different things to help.

I carry a Rosary in my pocket when I come to work. I have a long walk from my car to my workplace, so I take the opportunity, every morning and afternoon, when I go home, to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet. It is wonderful devotion. It is short (only takes about five minutes) and very poignant. If you don’t know it, you can go to the devotions section at ewtn.com (or is it .org?), and learn about it there.

Also, I have a Magnificat. This is a fantastic daily prayer book. It is sent out monthly, and has a morning and evening prayer each day, along with the daily mass readings, and a reflection on them. It also has a prayer at night, and a few longer relections for the month. It helps me to focus on the prayer, as well as forcing me to set time aside throughout the day to spend time with my Lord. Go to magnificat.com to learn more.

I hope that helps. God bless.

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, Pxiebell.:slight_smile:

As NCSue, you can speak to God honestly and naturally at any time if you wish.
Thank Him too, for the good things in your life, and ask His help with the problems, and for others’ needs too. He answers at the right time.
You can ask Him to help you pray,
and to help you live a good life.

It’s understandable that you feel depressed sometimes, not having work…please God you will succeed in finding work soon.

God bless you. :slight_smile:
We hope to see you here as often as you wish.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.