new to this site

I wanted to ask why Jesus said to the good thief “this day you will be with me in paradise” when He didn’t ascend to the Father until later?

Paradise to the Jews meant Sheol and in it was the place called the Abraham’s Bosom, where the OT righteous where waiting for Jesus to open heaven. I forget the verse where this is located, it is in one of Peter’s epistles. Upon opening heaven, the the righteous were taken there, so with the good thief.

Pablope, right, I believe you are correct in your answer .:)Peace, Carlan

I’d love the New Testament reference if anyone has it and any further references to paradise being sheol.

Thanks.

Timothy, Luke 16,23…

I believe this is one reference. Peace, Carlan

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 43. I say to thee: This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise; i.e. in a place of rest with the souls of the just. The construction is not, I say to thee this day, &c., but, thou shalt be with me this day in the paradise. (Witham) — In paradise. That is, in the happy state of rest, joy and peace everlasting. Christ was pleased by a special privilege, to reward the faith and confession of the penitent thief with a full discharge of all his sins, both as to the guilt and punishment, and to introduce him, immediately after death, into the happy society of the saints, whose limbo (that is, the place of their confinement) was now made a paradise by our Lord’s going thither. (Challoner) — The soul of the good thief was that same day with Jesus Christ, in the felicity of the saints, in Abraham’s bosom, or in heaven, where Jesus was always present by his divinity. (St. Augustine) — St. Cyril, of Jerusalem, says he entered heaven before all the patriarchs and prophets. St. Chrysostom thinks that paradise was immediately open to him, and that he entered heaven the first mankind. (Tom. v. homil. 32.)

Not surprised here. Tradition in the East has him being baptized by the water and the blood that poured out of Jesus after he was pierced. So he could have definitely enterd heaven right there and then.

1 Peter 3:18-20 (New King James Version)

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us[a] to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.

I would guess that when dead & from then on just like eternity there are no days!

Jesus ascended to heaven. The thief was promised paradise. You are assuming here that heaven and paradise are the same. If they’re not, it clears the difficulty.

Once we pass into eternity, earth-days really have no meaning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.