New Translation Exposure in Your Parish

Since the new translation has now received the recognitio of the Holy See and is most likely going to be implemented late in 2011 (at least according to the USCCB’s Roman Missal website usccb.org/romanmissal/) has anyone experienced any exposure in their parishes (e.g. bulletin inserts, mentioned in sermon, choir practicing new lyrics, ad experimentum use, training sessions being prepared, etc.). It seems like the silence is deafening. It was a surprise to most Catholics I have talked to that this change is even coming. It seems like there is this head in the sand mentality that if we don’t talk about it or ignore it, the new translations will go just away. It would be heartening to hear that something is happening somewhere.

It has been mentioned in the parishes I have attended recently, but they are a poor sampling of the area (the EF at one parish, OF at two others who supply priests for said EF, and the local OF).

I wouldn’t worry yet, the idea was to have a year for instruction, so expect most parishes to start 1st Sunday of Advent this year. The Music settings are just coming out now from the major publishers (which has finally allowed others to release theirs publicly). I wouldn’t expect parish musicians to be familiar enough with them to introduce them to the choirs for another few months.

However, it might be worth getting a copy of japhy’s book and seeing of your priest would let you do a group study of the changes in preparation for the preparation…

However, there have been some good articles in “The Wanderer”.

Subscribe to The Wanderer.

www.thewandererpress.com

Their Web site is a paid site, but here is one article from last week:

Cardinal Pell Commends New
Translation Of Missal

VATICAN CITY — George Cardinal Pell, Archbishop of Sydney, commended the new English translation of the Roman Missal now formally approved by the Holy See that is to replace the present English Missal at the start of the new Church Year that will begin on the First Sunday of Advent, November 27, 2011.
“ Doubters will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the translation of the new Roman Missal,” said Cardinal Pell, Chairman of the Vox Clara Committee, a commission set up in 2001 by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments to advise in translations.
Vox Clara was created by the Holy See after it became obvious that ICEL was not capable of providing authentic translations of liturgical texts, and, in fact, had become an obstacle to Pope John Paul II’s efforts to provide Catholics with translations faithful to the Latin originals.
The translation , the fruit of many years’ work, “ is a bit different from what we are used to, although the people’s parts are not much changed,” said Cardinal Pell during an exclusive interview with Peter Jennings of the UK’s Independent Catholic News at the Pontifical North American College in Rome on Thursday April 29, where two hours earlier the 19th and final meeting of the Commission completed its work.
“ There is a fullness of theological teaching which will be enriching over the years. It is not a literal word for word translation of the Latin. It is sophisticated, accurate, and often beautiful and powerful,” said Cardinal Pell.
Asked how older Catholics would react, people who struggled to come to terms with the Mass in English following the Second Vatican Council, the 68- year- old Archbishop of Sydney paused for a moment and replied: “I think older Catholics will find the new translation quite reassuring.”
Regarding the translation ’s impact on young people, Cardinal Pell, who hosted World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney, said: “ I hope that it will cause the young people to stop and ponder.
“The Bishops’ Conferences in the countries involved will be involved in a year or more of preparation to explain the new missal to both priests and lay people. Also, a special DVD is being prepared to help explain the background to the new translation ,” said Cardinal Pell.
The Bishops Conferences involved include those of England and Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, the U.S., and New Zealand.

Other than the blurb I put in the bulletin 2 weeks ago - nothing – and I can only put in what my pastor allows me to print. If it were up to me everyone would have had a copy of the Ordinary a year ago.

I think I will give the choir a copy of the the Ordinary to look over. They will be going for a workshop in September to learn 3 new settings. Since it’s only open to those involved in the music ministry, I can’t attend.

We had a liturgy committee meeting two weeks ago and we are going to start informing the faithful as soon as my pastor gets the little informative booklets from LTP. I am not a huge fan of LTP. Were it up to me, I would have the parish order a few of japhy’s book so that we could have adult religious education programs centered around it. Our diocese has remained totally silent on the issue. :mad:

We also had a liturgy committee meeting a week ago and the new translation was one of the topics. The rector asked us to review some materials and articles he had copied for us and asked for us to come back with ideas for classes, catechesis, homily inserts, bulletin articles, etc. I brought Japhy’s book and showed some of the highlights and several committee members took down the info to order it for themselves.

Our diocese has also been silent.

At my previous parish, the pastor’s statement was “we don’t want this new translation, what we have now is just fine.”

I’m thinking that most parishioners won’t be interested in attending classes. Given that, I think we should offer classes and workshops on the new translation, especially on the “why” and the scriptural references and richness of the new translation. If we can get 5-10% of the informal leaders in the parish educated (that’s who will sign up for classes anyways), they will help by talking up the ideas to the rest. If we couple that with a positive push during homilies, and some sort of cheat sheet or reply card for those in the pews, we should be OK. Choir I can’t speak to. What do you all think?

Our diocesan paper has had a series addressing this issue. The articles compare what is now to what it will be

I have presented it to our class of religious education.

Hopefully more will be done.

Not one official word from the pulpit. But a pretty open discussion after Mass. I get the feeling that most folks are all for it. I do know that many of the liberals are just about having fits.

So far no open hostility. And I don’t think we’ll see any but there is a tension there when anyone asks them if they are ready to learn it.

Sounds good, might I suggest trying to make sure CCD teachers, choir leaders/members, etc attend, as they have a large portion of the contact? Also a bulletin insert (the cheat sheet) 6 months out, 3 months, and every week in the last month would help.

I forgot to mention, the diocesan monthly is running a 14 month series on the new translation, however first article barely covered ‘remedial liturgy’, so to speak.

Each Sunday we get one part of the new translation in our bulletin. I guess if you save them all, by the time it is implemented we will have the whole Mass.

I assume our Pastor will be having parish meetings to learn it closer to the time it is starting to be used.

He is pretty much on top of things.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

My parish priest has mentioned it in the bulletin and also in his homilies, although I suspect that we here in the UK will be somewhat behind the US in having it. Certainly, he is all for it, as am I.

Once upon a time, when I complained to my pastor that they don’t TEACH from the pulpit, he said they are not ALLOWED to teach; they are only allowed to preach.

So, I hope the “new” translation will allow priests to TEACH as well as preach.

We have purchased instructions implementing the changes. Our pastor will distribute the changes after he starts a series of instruction at mass.
At this time , hopefully, he will address the many abuses that have crept into the laitys participation at mass. That is his plan.

That won’t change. The new translation changes what we say, not much of what we do since that is dictated by the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) which was translated several years ago and which says:

1. The homily is part of the Liturgy and is strongly recommended,63 for it is necessary for the nurturing of the Christian life. It should be an exposition of some aspect of the readings from Sacred Scripture or of another text from the Ordinary or from the Proper of the Mass of the day and should take into account both the mystery being celebrated and the particular needs of the listeners.64

But unless I’m mistaken he could certainly preach on the parts of the Ordinary – i.e. doing comparison between the two translations and why the new translation more clearly expresses our faith.

My Pastor Has spoken of the coming changes during the Homily a couple of times. There was also a articule in the diocese paper a couple of weeks ago. I have been talking about it for about 2 years can not wait.

Not a word about it from our Pastor or the Bishop; nothing, nada, zippo!

The changes are a year and a half away. To begin loudly banging the drum now is a bit of overkill. Most diocese are probably planning on at most a year, at the least 6 months, of preparing the people.

My priest isn’t talking much about it yet, but he’s mentioned a few times in and outside of Mass that there’s a new translation coming. I believe there’s a weekend seminar scheduled this October for our priests and diocesan leaders. My priest isn’t going to do anything other than occasionally mentioning the new translation until after that seminar. No sense making grandiose plans today only to find out in a few months that the diocese wants things done in a different manner.

I’m greatly anticipating these changes, but we can’t be impatient.

I haven’t heard anything about it at my own parish – a Polish-English parish – but I have provided the pastor with a complimentary copy of my book.

And thank you, GwenL, for recommending it. (I did notice, to my surprise, that 20 copies were bought from Amazon today. That’s unusual for a single day…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.