New Tridentine Mass Guy

My wife and I are changing to the local Tridentine (Indult) parish in St. Louis, MO. Any advice anyone can offer on how to get more out of it? I have been to the Mass there a few times and love every minute of it for it’s rigor, reverence and a congregation in which I have only counted ONE person to leave after receiving Communion. (vs. the typical 20-25% at my old parish)

God bless!
Marc

Hi,
I am interested in the Tridentine Mass,myself. Although, all I know is you don’t say 'Amen after receiving the host-Body of Christ.

The first time I ever heard a prayer in latin was when the Archbishop visited and that was a long time ago.

You are lucky you have a Tridentine Mass close enough for you to attend. The closest one to us is about an hour away and we,some of us at our parish,are thinking of attending Mass there so we can at least have the experience.

Once you get to know the people who attend, they will be able to help you .

Aimee,
There are several other differences, but what fascinates me the most is the pure reverence to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament with silence and kneeling to receive Him. The prayers used in the Missal are much more sacrificial and penetential in nature, with less room for “feel good” stuff. I am going to take some time soon to slowly read through the Mass to see what is going on.

Marc

Hi there!

I have been attending the Tridentine for several years. The first time I went, I was not impressed (in fact I thought if this was Catholicism I’d hav to be an Episcopalian!), but after attending several times I fell in love with it.

I strongly urge you to get a Missal. I like the Marion missal because it has the propers (the prayers that change every day, like the collect and the offertory prayer and the “secret”) in Latin. The St. Joseph’s Missal is a beautiful translation, but it only has the propers in English.

Both missals have lovely prayers for before Mass and after Communion and explanations of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (guess what? I was in my 30’s before I realized that the Mass was a sacrifice! Scary, huh?), as well as explanations on the vestments and so forth. Very educational. If you can’t find a 1962 St. Joseph’s or Marian Missal please email me. My mom has a bookstore that carries them.
Cindy

I attended the local Tridentine Mass for a few months, and sang in the choir, but was unable to continue as my husband was still attending our regular parish, and I wanted us to go together to Mass. I loved the beauty, history, and reverence of the Tridentine Mass, and noticed a definite difference in the attitude and attire of the congregation and even the altar boys.

The St. Joseph’s Missal was easier to follow than my father-in-law’s St. Andrew’s (?). (I found my missal on the internet.) The only downside being, as mentioned, that it doesn’t have all the Latin parts. Many parts were said inaudibly, though, so I couldn’t have followed along, anyhow. If you read along in English at a normal rate, you’ll generally finish about when the priest does. Sitting close enough to see everything the priest is doing will also help. If you stick with it, it will become more familiar.

marc

I have abook on understanding the catholic mass that although it is written for children is actually good insight for everyone to read.The rubics, how the altar is arranged etc. I will look up the exact title and author and let you know .
DId you ever take Latin for a language in school ? I did when I attended a catholic HS. It should be offerrred again especially if we will succeed in having a return of the Tridentine mass to more parishes.
I also attended the Latin mass there is only one in our area so I cannot get to it every week but I felt like I had returned home since the last time I was at the latin mass was in the 1960s as a young child. Do you attend the high or the low mass?

I too go to the Tridentine as much as possible - I am very fortunate as my parish sponsors one weekly.

This website has the Mass online you can print our but there really is nothing like a Missal - I have my St. Joseph’s from my youth. I have seen them for sale on ebay as well.

sacred-texts.com/chr/lmass/ord.htm

[quote=MarcPekny]My wife and I are changing to the local Tridentine (Indult) parish in St. Louis, MO. Any advice anyone can offer on how to get more out of it? I have been to the Mass there a few times and love every minute of it for it’s rigor, reverence and a congregation in which I have only counted ONE person to leave after receiving Communion. (vs. the typical 20-25% at my old parish)

God bless!
Marc
[/quote]

Marc, get yourselves each an old 1964 St Joseph missals. They, they follow the old calendar. You will get into it. I live in Northern Minnesota and my Nephew is a priest in the Society of St. Peter, and he is with us for two weeks in july usually and we have this beautiful mass every day for the stay.
Firemark

Thank you all for responding! Our new parish, St. Agatha, has one Sunday Tridentine Mass per week, although on any holy days or national holidays, they usually have the Latin Mass that day as well.

The first & third Sundays are High Masses, while the 2nd & 4th Sundays are Low Masses. The last Sunday of each month they have Exposition & Benediction (in Latin) after Mass. Confessions are heard before and well into Mass by 2-3 priests. There is always a line!

I have three different Missals. The St. Joseph one (as mentioned above) St. Andrew (I think) and the Bishop Fulton Sheen Sunday missal. I like the layout of the Sheen one espcecially because it requires less flipping back & forth and it does have the all of prayers in Latin. However, I think the English translation is less than perfect. (ie: it uses the term “and with you also” instead of “and with thy spirit.”)

Either way, this wasn’t an easy decision to change. We have a lot of friends at our old parish and my wife was involved heavily with the choir, but I think that God is guiding us towards the Latin, as our parish (and most of the surrounding parishes) tend to be weaker in rubrics and preaching (and few if any vocations - no surprise). St. Agatha has produced one FSSP priest who grew up there as an altar boy. I think there may be more on the way according to a friend mine there. We shall see I guess! I guess I want to see my growing family be in an environment where the folks at church are more reverent.

Marc

I just went to my first Tridentine Mass the other day. I didn’t realize you didn’t say Amen after receiving the Eucharist??? Oh no!!

Marc, I am in your area, although out west in St. Charles County. St. Agatha would be a really far hike for us.

BUT, did you know that a new order is coming to St. Louis called Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem? They started in LaCrosse and Archbishop Burke invited them to relocate here. They only celebrate the Latin Mass and eventually they want to have a school here!

Just thought you might be interested.

God Bless, Nicole

[quote=Nicole]I just went to my first Tridentine Mass the other day. I didn’t realize you didn’t say Amen after receiving the Eucharist??? Oh no!!

Marc, I am in your area, although out west in St. Charles County. St. Agatha would be a really far hike for us.

BUT, did you know that a new order is coming to St. Louis called Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem? They started in LaCrosse and Archbishop Burke invited them to relocate here. They only celebrate the Latin Mass and eventually they want to have a school here!

God Bless, Nicole
[/quote]

I went to All Saints, right off of 70 & Mid Rivers Mall Drive. You can see it from the highway.

Do you know where the Archbishop may want to place Cannons Regular? I had heard there was a visiting priest from this order in Cottleville last week to celebrate Mass in someone’s home.

What did you think about kneeling to receive Communion. I LOVE it!!

Feel free to send private email on this topic.
Marc

There is a Latin Mass about an hour from where I live. I am looking into it, I would not mind the drive. The Latin Mass seems much more reverent, and obviously orthodox than the New Mass, with all of its novelty. The Tridentine Mass truly seems to lift one’s heart and mind to God!

[quote=John-Thomas]There is a Latin Mass about an hour from where I live. I am looking into it, I would not mind the drive. The Latin Mass seems much more reverent, and obviously orthodox than the New Mass, with all of its novelty. The Tridentine Mass truly seems to lift one’s heart and mind to God!
[/quote]

I think that is why it is slowly gaining more popularity as so many folks (priests and laity) have watered down and abused the Novus Ordo (new Mass) by “wanting to do their own thing” no matter what the rubrics say. I do give the folks at EWTN as much credit as possible for making the Novus Ordo Mass as reverent as possible.

[quote=MarcPekny]My wife and I are changing to the local Tridentine (Indult) parish in St. Louis, MO. Any advice anyone can offer on how to get more out of it? I have been to the Mass there a few times and love every minute of it for it’s rigor, reverence and a congregation in which I have only counted ONE person to leave after receiving Communion. (vs. the typical 20-25% at my old parish)

God bless!
Marc
[/quote]

Are you talking about St Agatha’s? If so I just went there for the first time last Sunday. I loved it! It is a great parish.

[quote=Nicole]I just went to my first Tridentine Mass the other day. I didn’t realize you didn’t say Amen after receiving the Eucharist??? Oh no!!

God Bless, Nicole
[/quote]

Just curious. I live in Florissant do you know of anything closer than St Agatha’s? If not that is OK I loved St Agatha’s and the drive is only about 25 minutes.

Hey, welcome to the Traditional Latin Mass. I’m a big advocate/researcher/addict of the TLM so it’s good to see another make the switch. Some of the people at the Latin Mass here in Dallas come as far as Greenville, Ennis, and Gainsville. (You can check on a map). There is a lot to love about the Old Latin Mass.

[quote=CatholicBerean]Just curious. I live in Florissant do you know of anything closer than St Agatha’s? If not that is OK I loved St Agatha’s and the drive is only about 25 minutes.
[/quote]

Not yet as far as I know, but an order that only says the Latin Rite, the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem (founded by Archbhishop Burke!!) is coming to St. Louis. I’m hoping they go to St. Charles since St. Louis already has St. Agatha’s.

As far as I know, they are moving here right now.

God Bless, Nicole

[quote=CatholicBerean]Are you talking about St Agatha’s? If so I just went there for the first time last Sunday. I loved it! It is a great parish.
[/quote]

CatholicBerean,

Yes, it is St. Agatha’s. We are official parishioners there now, as of 7/4/04. It is so wonderful to step into a very reverent church with long confessional lines! FYI…on the 1st & 3rd Sundays, it’s a high (singing) Mass and on the other Sundays, it’s a low Mass. Exposition & Benediction after Mass on the last Sunday of the month.

Marc

[quote=MarcPekny]CatholicBerean,

Yes, it is St. Agatha’s. We are official parishioners there now, as of 7/4/04. It is so wonderful to step into a very reverent church with long confessional lines! FYI…on the 1st & 3rd Sundays, it’s a high (singing) Mass and on the other Sundays, it’s a low Mass. Exposition & Benediction after Mass on the last Sunday of the month.

Marc
[/quote]

When I walked in and saw that( people in line for confession before Mass) my heart was filled with Joy!

Thanks for the info about the high Mass!

Maybe I will see you there sometime.

Unfortunately, there were only two priests hearing confessions last Sunday. Fr. Rodis, pastor, is out for awhile with a hip replacement I think (so I’m told). I think usually there are 3 confessionals open with equally lenghtly lines!

[quote=CatholicBerean]When I walked in and saw that( people in line for confession before Mass) my heart was filled with Joy!

Thanks for the info about the high Mass!

Maybe I will see you there sometime.
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.