New U.S. U.N. envoy warns allies: have our back or we'll respond accordingly

New U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, pledged on Friday to overhaul the world body and warned U.S. allies that if they do not have Washington’s back then she is “taking names” and will respond.

Haley made brief remarks to the press as she arrived at U.N. headquarters in New York to present her credentials to U.N. chief Antonio Guterres.

“Our goal with the administration is to show value at the U.N. and the way that we’ll show value is to show our strength, show our voice, have the backs of our allies and make sure that our allies have our back as well,” Haley said.

reuters.com/article/us-usa-un-idUSKBN15B1NG?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Making threats is a clear sign of weakness.

Then Trump is the weakest man alive.

UN needs a major overhaul or it needs to be disbanded. At the moment it is useless as a agent for peace and unity in the world!

This is finally a show of strength after 8yrs of weakness!

Bullying can be seen as a form of strength also.

At least we won’t be bending over for these people anymore

I remember when Hugo Chavez said he could still smell the fire and brimstone after George W. Bush spoke at the UN. We don’t need that nonsense anymore!

Hah!

There is no need to relate to people in either manner. The US does not run the UN and it if it indicating it does then the time for it to be excluded or removed for a length of time may well be at hand. America has became an increasingly arrogant nation and believes in its own created myths far, far too much and that may well be its own downfall ultimately.

Maybe the US needs to pull out of the UN.

i have no disagreements with you, on what you say here.
To me it seems if the US is saying is the above, they want to make the UN a puppet to their liking.
Not like the US really cared what the UN said in the first place.

I have always hated how countries that accept US aid turn around and mock us around the world.

No. We cannot lose our veto. We can withdraw out some of these useless UN organizations that throw money down the drain or are counter to our interests in the short and long term.

True on both counts!

[size=]MODERATOR NOTE[/size]

There is an expectation here at CAF that we all should behave with civility. In practice this means striving to deliver our comments here with as much charity as we can muster.

Some Catholics who are going through a renewal of their faith can take on a somewhat strident tone. Having re-discovered the truth of their faith, they then proceed to jump on a soapbox and start proclaiming the truth as they see it. Fellow Catholics, priests, bishops, even the pope, are subject to “correction.” Perhaps they do not realize that this behavior often comes across to others as trying to use doctrine as a weapon.

Here are some quotations from Church leaders to consider closely:

“Win an argument and lose a soul.”
– Bishop Fulton Sheen

“Love without truth would be blind; truth without love would be like ‘a clanging cymbal.’”
– Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Homily

“Preach the gospel at all times, and, when necessary, use words.”
– St. Francis (attributed)

“You know well enough that our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do them.”
– St. Therese of Lisieux

“Though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could move mountains, but have not charity, I am nothing… Love does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil… Love bears all things … endures all things. So faith, hope, charity abide, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”
– St. Paul (1 Cor. 13:2, 5, 7, 14)

“Always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence.”
– St. Peter (1 Pet. 3:15; RSV-CE)

Some members have left the Catholic Answers Forums because CAF management would not allow them to behave rudely. There are many venues on the Internet where one may behave as uncharitably as one desires. This is not one of them.

It should also be noted that Catholics are NOT given preference because of their religious affiliation. In fact, Catholics are often held to a higher standard. As our Lord cautioned, “To whom much is given, of him will much be required” (Luke 12:48). Here at CAF, we believe that the truth will take care of itself. Our job is to reveal it as charitably as we can.

Finally, the Moderators are prepared to help members remain within the boundaries of charity. But that only works if each of us is willing to co-operate. Please accept moderator guidance graciously and with the Christian gentleness St. Peter spoke of, even if you feel you have been wronged. (And don’t forget that if you do feel that your case needs to be reviewed, you are free to appeal Mod actions to the Admin staff at forumadmin@catholic.com.) But please keep in mind that making continual complaints about a perceived slight or injustice is counterproductive. The Mods only have so much time to devote to CAF. Rather, offer it up. Others will benefit spiritually from your pain. It’s the Catholic thing to do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.