New US atomic scandal uncovered in Greenland

cphpost.dk/news/new-us-atomic-scandal-uncovered-in-greenland.html

**A new scandal involving the US in Greenland has bubbled to the surface following the revelations that radioactive waste from a former top secret military base could find its way to the ocean due to the melting icecaps.

The base in question, Camp Century, was established under the ice east of the Thule Air Base in 1959 by the US Army. It used a mobile atomic reactor as an energy source for the around 200 soldiers and researchers who resided there.

The project, labelled Project Iceworm, was abandoned in 1966 with the Americans promising the Danish government it would clean up the site. But they left a lot of low radiation waste and toxic PCBs.

“It’s not a question of if it will happen, but it’s more a question of when,” Dirk van As, a climate researcher from the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS), told Information newspaper.**

The article continues at the link.

I think it was inevitable that something of this sort would happen… :shrug:

Look up the details.

Quit exaggerating.

Get this book:

***Underexposed: What If Radiation Is Actually Good for You? ***

by Ed Hiserodt (Author)

I still prefer chocolate.

Same! :wink:

Nuts to that.

In 1959, worrying about Mother Nature was not high on the national to-do list. Staying out of WW3 against the CCCP was.

Now everybody connected with the incident is most likely dead, so there is no blame to be apportioned.

The USA will cut a check to the Danes to correct the environmental damage, and life will go on.

ICXC NIKA

Sounds like the headline from an Onion article.

Actually the base has alot of diesel fuel, some toxic PCBs, and very little nuclear cooling water with mild radiation.

It sounds like an excellent book, Monte. :slight_smile:

There are a couple other great ones I’d like to recommend, too. The first is called:

Nazi Chemical Weapons Are Your Friends: Setting the Record Straight

Details of this fine book can be found here.

and

Nuclear Waste Disposal For Beginners

Details of which can be found here.

You may have heard of them, owing to their being on Oprah’s book list for a number of months, along with such timeless self-help classics as:

Drink Your Way To Happiness

by Leif Kristofferson Magnusson

and

Crack Cocaine: Smoke Your Way To A Higher IQ

by Walter J. Robertson

:stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds like an excellent book, Monte. :slight_smile:

There are a couple other great ones I’d like to recommend, too. The first is called:

Nazi Chemical Weapons Are Your Friends: Setting the Record Straight

Details of this fine book can be found here.

and

A Beginner’s Guide to Creative Nuclear Waste Disposal

Details of which can be found here.

You may have heard of them, owing to their being on Oprah’s book list for a number of months, along with such timeless self-help classics as:

Drink Your Way To Happiness

by Leif Kristofferson Magnusson

and

Crack Cocaine: Smoke Your Way To A Higher IQ

by Walter J. Robertson

:stuck_out_tongue:

Monte, I recommend you read this. This is interesting and little known, too. If you’re saying that dumping nuclear waste and PCBs into the sea is harmless then that’s your business, but I disagree.

#1 … I never said that.

Reread what I wrote.

Secondly, read that book.

Third, the report is merely an inventory.

Fourthly, radioactive materials decay. Over time.

Fifthly, there is the factor that in the ocean, there both dilution AND the heavier materials sink into the bottom. As the planet’s continents drift, the material is buried deep into the Earth.

As the article says, according to the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland, the PCBs and nuclear waste will eventually pour into the Atlantic Ocean. The pdf invento was just to underline the fact that numerous first world countries made a habit of routinely discarding their nuclear wastes in the worlds oceans for decades, until it was eventually outlawed in 1992. I was only trying to make clear that Project Iceworm was in no way unique in it’s pollution. There are a number of nuclear submarines, too, with active reactors that have sunk and are slowly decaying, as well as, apparently, a number of entire used reactors that have been tossed in the ocean. None of that is exaggeration, it’s simply information that I find critically important and worth posting. :shrug:

Oh, and the book does look interesting. It’s not in the Seattle Public Library system, but interlibrary loans are easy, plus the University of Washington has quite a list of books by that author, though not that exact title. I go to both fairly often. The Suzzallo Library is the cool and comfy one (the library that was used in the Harry Potter films), but Central Library is near where I live. Anyway, I’ll take a look at that book at some point, but my first impression is that he’s an apologist for a shoddy nuclear waste industry.

First, that author has only written one book, so it is highly unlikely that the library has “quite a list of books by that author”.

Second, radiation does not work by any kind of debate logic. I have many friends who insist on using logic for science, and it doesn’t work that way.

Third, Hiserodt has been uniquely capable in his ability to explain how radiation works in real life.

Fourth, calling him “an apologist for a shoddy nuclear waste industry” is a slander and a calumny.

READ THE BOOK.

I have friends who insist that I have no right to tell them what to do … but then they resort to name-calling. And refuse to read.

I read that report twice.

Please provide the page number references to PCBs.

At no point in the report does it report on the decay of radioactive components.

I noted that some of the dumped debris includes rubber gloves, glassware and other relatively trivial items.

Tritium, for example, is not a dangerous product.

The “scandal” is totally bogus.

west-point.org/class/usma1955/D/Hist/Century.htm

It was apparently anticipated and resolved by 1955.

So they left the place with radiation levels no higher than before they came,
another example of why I have zero trust in journalism anymore.

That bogus report mentioned among other things Tritium.

Well, silence.

So here is an article on Tritium.

hiroshimasyndrome.com/background-information-on-tritium.html

It is important to study and learn and read.

Yeah, you need math … some math.

So, here is some reading material.

We need to ask some questions and also get some answers.

Why was this original article posted?

What was the purpose?

Clearly the premise is untrue.

No scandal.

No cleanup will be needed. Whatever cleanup that WAS needed was already done 50 years ago.

No mention of PCB’s at all. AND in any case, PCB’s have NOTHING to do with radioactivity or atomic anything.

No discussion of normal radioactive decay … which is an important consideration in all atomic discussions. [Over a period of time, radioactive stuff decays and the overall level of radioactivity goes down. If something is VERY radioactive, then the decay is faster. And in 30 days, most of the very radioactive stuff diminishes to very small levels. If something has a long half-life, then it is not very radioactive.]

Because to understand the behavior of radioacivity, you need some math. And you also need to understand the different forms of radioactivity.

Please, anyone interested in radioactivity issues, read Ed Hiserodt’s exceptionally well written book. He includes case studies for analyis and review of actual case histories.

The book is available in both ebook and hard copy:

barnesandnoble.com/w/underexposed-ed-hiserodt/1114749410?type=eBook

Scroll down to book review: page 32 >>>

jpands.org/vol11no1/bookreviews.pdf

archive.org/details/DDP24thHiserodt

I posted the article because it’s interesting news.

Also, not everyone agrees that allowing PCBs and low level nuclear waste to flow into the Atlantic is harmless.

Whether you agree with that or not, it shouldn’t be too difficult to understand.

And there are over eighty works by Ed Hiserodt listed in the library’s catalog, most of which are articles. After glancing through the titles of several dozen I just stopped, because they seemed positively idiotic to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.