New US Bishop: Austin Auxiliary

Bishop-elect Daniel Elias Garcia was named Auxiliary Bishop of Austin, Texas, USA and titular bishop of Capsus.

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give him guidance & direction in the service of his appointment.

Davidc2:

I always appreciate your follow-up on posting the new bishops in the United States. Since 2004, I have taken a much greater interest in this. Honestly, I do find that the bishop often sets a “tone” for the diocese.

I am wondering who will become the new bishop of Lexington, Kentucky. (I would like to see Fr. Casey from the Fathers of Mercy, which is based in Kentucky, but Pope Francis I makes the appointments, not me.) That see has been vacant for almost a year when Gagnier was moved to the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania diocese. The Apostolic Administrator of Lexington is currently an 81 year old “retired” priest who was also the Apostolic Administrator during 2003 and 2004. Sadly, Lexington (and Covington) were two dioceses that were hit hard by the scandals, with many problems in the 80’s and 90’s. As far as Covington today, Bishop Roger Foys is a strong bishop - I’m wondering if Foys will get a larger see.

I don’t know if Dallas will get another auxiliary, since Austin just received one for the first time with this appointment. Dallas had two auxiliary bishops, until Bishop Seitz was promoted to the Diocese of El Paso.

I am speculating that the Dallas bishop will eventually become elevated to a larger see at some point. Bishop Farrell is still fairly young (early 60’s) for a bishop, and he does have a good following with Hispanics - that was one reason Pope Benedict XVI appointed Farrell to Dallas. I am wondering if Farrell is being considered for the Archdiocese of Santa Fe (New Mexico), since Archbishop Sheehan submitted his retirement papers last summer. Although Santa Fe is an Archdiocese, the number of Catholics is smaller than the Dallas Diocese. I am also wondering if Farrell is being considered for the Diocese of San Diego, which became vacant on September 6, 2014 when the good bishop (Flores) succumbed to complications from a stroke.

I’ll be watching these appointments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.